Shanling M3s - dual AK4490 DAC, 2.5 balanced out, aptX BT, HiBy link, USB out, FW 1.7
Jan 13, 2019 at 8:27 PM Post #2,071 of 2,219
m3s, yes definitely. Massdrop, not so sure. I believe the m3s is no longer made so where are Massdrop going to source stock?

I believe that @Shanling said there was going to be one more M3s production run, at the end of last year - possibly for the Massdrop sale - but that the M2s and M1 were discontinued.

Massdrop units of M3s, definitely not directly from us. We are sold out, last run was for Chinese market back in September.

What is source of these units? Can only guess.

Remember, warranty of Shanling product is always carried by the seller, Shanling doesn't provide direct warranty for international markets.

Hello @Shanling, I have an M3s with a wheel that failed, just out of warranty. The unit is now a $400aus paperweight as you can’t select anything. Are you able to help me out with this?

I am located in Melbourne and I’m concerned about postage & repair cost making it too expensive to be fixed. I have approached Jaben in Melbourne about this and they are getting back to me. The M3s was purchased from them on 27 Nov 2017 and the wheel stopped working on 24 Dec 2018.

I understand that this is a common problem with the early units and you have a better solution now. Can a new wheel be fitted in Australia?

Sorry to hear about your damaged wheel.

Wheel can be replaced, it's quite easy process, anybody who changed battery in modern smartphone was dealing with something much worse.

We can either send you wheel from us, but you would need to pay for quite expensive shipping.

Or Jaben should have some replacement parts/can send it to them with some order, but not sure how quick is there turnaround between Jaben Melbourne and Singapore.

You can PM me and we can discuss it more.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Jan 14, 2019 at 12:32 PM Post #2,072 of 2,219
Hi
Replay gain don't work in my shanling M3s. I'd like to know if other people have same problem. I think that replay gain should work automatically because there's this option is inside the software. Replay gain is very important for me because I cannot stand volume level changes in each song. It make me nervous. The sound is very good and I would hate to change device.

Jan 14, 2019 at 11:47 PM Post #2,073 of 2,219
Hi
Replay gain don't work in my shanling M3s. I'd like to know if other people have same problem. I think that replay gain should work automatically because there's this option is inside the software. Replay gain is very important for me because I cannot stand volume level changes in each song. It make me nervous. The sound is very good and I would hate to change device.

I also thought that replay gain wasn't working. It turns out that there are two different types of replay gain, one of which does indeed work. If you search this thread, you'll find more complete details on this.

Jan 15, 2019 at 9:54 AM Post #2,074 of 2,219
Yes, i remember your post. I tried with Foobar2000 but replay gain don't work into my Shanling M3s, It is probable that I have done something wrong. In any case, I also have Sony NWZ-A15 and the replay gain works very well and I did not need Foobar2000 or other programs to make it work. But Sony software is another planet.....

Jan 19, 2019 at 11:34 AM Post #2,075 of 2,219
I've had my M3s for about a year and the scroll wheel had become very hard to use in that it wouldn't cause the screen to consistently scroll in one direction when turned and often jumped more than one line at a time...something others have reported. I found the posts here about using DeoxIT D5 lubricant to fix similar scrolling issues. Sure enough, a couple squirts of this followed by a few seconds of working the wheel back and forth to spread the stuff around has made the wheel work properly once again. So I can add my recommendation for this to others encountering this issue.

Jan 19, 2019 at 1:22 PM Post #2,076 of 2,219
I've had my M3s for about a year and the scroll wheel had become very hard to use in that it wouldn't cause the screen to consistently scroll in one direction when turned and often jumped more than one line at a time...something others have reported. I found the posts here about using DeoxIT D5 lubricant to fix similar scrolling issues. Sure enough, a couple squirts of this followed by a few seconds of working the wheel back and forth to spread the stuff around has made the wheel work properly once again. So I can add my recommendation for this to others encountering this issue.
Good to know! Filed in the memory bank in case my M3s encounters similar issues.

Jan 28, 2019 at 8:29 AM Post #2,077 of 2,219
Well, new device (<2 months) wheel stuck in pressed position, scroll works. It seems I have a metal wheel .Any known solutions? How can I open the device (from front or back?)

Update:
It seems the clicker switch on the other side of the wheel assembly is faulty. Chy chance of finding the wheel board? Or can you at least tell me which microswitch it is, I might be able to replace it .

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2019 at 3:15 PM Post #2,078 of 2,219
Well, new device (<2 months) wheel stuck in pressed position, scroll works. It seems I have a metal wheel .Any known solutions? How can I open the device (from front or back?)

Update:
It seems the clicker switch on the other side of the wheel assembly is faulty. Chy chance of finding the wheel board? Or can you at least tell me which microswitch it is, I might be able to replace it .

I have exactly the same problem. I am waiting for a new wheel assembly to be sent via my retailer for me to fit myself (out of warranty). I understand that it is a new wheel design that is more reliable. Shanling has sent me a detailed instruction sheet showing how to make the repair. This involves using suction cups to remove the front panel.

Jan 28, 2019 at 8:57 PM Post #2,079 of 2,219

Update:

If you have new device, please contact your seller for repair / replacement.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Feb 16, 2019 at 4:19 PM Post #2,080 of 2,219
Hi all,

Is there an armband for the gym the m3s fits in?

Tiy

Feb 16, 2019 at 5:58 PM Post #2,082 of 2,219
Would the M3S be adequate to feed a tube amp ?
No. You need a balanced line out for that, not a balanced headphones out. HO are not made for amplification.

Feb 17, 2019 at 5:59 PM Post #2,083 of 2,219
No. You need a balanced line out for that, not a balanced headphones out. HO are not made for amplification.
I'm truly sorry, it was my mistake. :disappointed:

It was working like that in prototype versions, but just asked colleague and he confirmed to me on current units and firmware Line out works only for single ended out.

Thanks DarkZenith for your reply.

I've been querying this thread, and found the above @Shanling's post.

On the latest firmware version, is the line out limited to SE output, still?

Thanks

Feb 17, 2019 at 9:20 PM Post #2,084 of 2,219
Thanks DarkZenith for your reply.

I've been querying this thread, and found the above @Shanling's post.

Thanks
LO on the M3s (as well as a lot of DAPs) are only a setting that sets your dap to full volume on high gain. There is no difference whatsoever than if you set your Phone Out to max volume. LO bypasses nothing. So, if you wanted to use the balanced out into an amp, you could, but it would have the added dap amp signature attached to it and you could just toggle the volume and mix in your tube amps gain (volume) to your liking. There are some DAPs out there that have a dedicated LO ( like the DX120). I think that one is proper.

Feb 18, 2019 at 8:47 AM Post #2,085 of 2,219
Yes, it still is.
LO bypasses nothing.
Are you sure about that ? In some DAPs (like FiiO X1, 1st gen, for instance), LO and HO, though sharing the same output, have different circuits...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back