Shanling M2s Hi-Res DAP with AK4490 + MUSE8920, Bluetooth, & USB Out
Apr 21, 2017 at 2:51 PM Post #152 of 2,460
Just get the pictures of the leather cases for M2s. This leather case is a major breakthrough that it looks like a case for a cellphone. It is very convenient to put on and take off.It's gorgeous, in all its different colors , and feels great in the hand.Just as soft as the original leader case for iPhone.
I am sure you will Like it:)

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Apr 21, 2017 at 2:59 PM Post #153 of 2,460
The output impedance of M5 is 0.18ohm

Yes, but there was a lot of confusion with M2, M3, and M5 because Shanling used different testing and/or reporting methodology than other DAP manufacturers. This resulted in much higher output impedance being reported on product release. Once Shanling started using the same testing methods as other DAP manufacturers, corrected output impedance values were released which were much more in alignment with other DAPs released at that time. Unfortunately, the earlier, incorrect information stuck in people's minds even though the corrections were posted here on headfi numerous times. This led to many people avoiding what turned out to be excellent DAPs.

The only one that didn't drop to 1ohm or below was the M2, which is around the same output impedance as the M2s. I have buddies so tried M2 with their hybrid or multi-BA IEM and didn't like the results because frequency response was noticeably altered. In the other hand, I have some other buddies who ended up preferring their hybrid or multi-BA IEM with M2 because of the alerted frequency response - feeling they for a boost in bass response, clarity, etc. To each their own.

For my part, I'm lucky to have access to many IEM and have a quick & dirty measurement rig for IEM, so I can help people out by showing them FR curves with a 1ohm OI DAP vs M2 or M2s with ~5ohm OI.

And the Shanling M2 series are by no means the only DAPs with higher OI. For instance, Soundaware DAPs have ~10ohm OI...

Apr 21, 2017 at 2:59 PM Post #154 of 2,460
  The 4.8ohm output impedance sounds ideal for matching with the Andromedas. :)

Pardon my noobosity, but what does this 4.8ohm output impedance mean in practical terms?

Apr 21, 2017 at 3:34 PM Post #156 of 2,460
Pardon my noobosity, but what does this 4.8ohm output impedance mean in practical terms?

It means the sound signature of multi-BA IEMs will deviate from their intended sound signature the higher the ohms. So the ideal impedance for most iems is less than 1 ohm, in order to preserve their original sound signature. But in the special case of Andromeda, the sweet spot for having the best sound sig happens to lie in the 3-5 ohm range. That's why I said the M2s might be a good match for it, although it certainly won't be good for many other IEMs. :)

Apr 21, 2017 at 3:38 PM Post #157 of 2,460
@Shanling , can you answer my previous question, I was wondering if the M2s is tuned with the Andromeda in mind. Already ordered the M2s so would be great to have the knowledge in advance. Thanks! 
redface.gif

Apr 21, 2017 at 3:41 PM Post #158 of 2,460
The output impedance of M5 is 0.18ohm

Sorry @Shanling, I didnt realize there were corrections made to M5 specs! My bad.

@nmatheis, I wasnt aware of the story behind the confusion/corrections either.

Sheesh, I thought I had been pretty caught up on this stuff because I've needed a new dap for a long time, so have researched A LOT!

Apr 21, 2017 at 3:48 PM Post #159 of 2,460
Sorry @Shanling, I didnt realize there were corrections made to M5 specs! My bad.

@nmatheis, I wasnt aware of the story behind the confusion/corrections either.

Sheesh, I thought I had been pretty caught up on this stuff because I've needed a new dap for a long time, so have researched A LOT!

Cool beans. The back story got buried...

Apr 21, 2017 at 4:19 PM Post #160 of 2,460
@Shanling
 , can you answer my previous question, I was wondering if the M2s is tuned with the Andromeda in mind. Already ordered the M2s so would be great to have the knowledge in advance. Thanks! :xf_eek:

Ha ha every time someone says they have an iem with a good synergy, or killer sound with a dap and it's something I've never heard of it's a grand or over lol.

Lol for a grand it better give me an orgasm. There are so many choices for iems. And where I live I can't listen to Jack ****.

Apr 21, 2017 at 4:40 PM Post #161 of 2,460
Ha ha every time someone says they have an iem with a good synergy, or killer sound with a dap and it's something I've never heard of it's a grand or over lol.

Lol for a grand it better give me an orgasm. There are so many choices for iems. And where I live I can't listen to Jack ****.

I can't imagine even $1k IEM's sounding as good as some nice $100 headphones...BUT maybe I'm wrong.

Apr 21, 2017 at 5:10 PM Post #162 of 2,460
I can't imagine even $1k IEM's sounding as good as some nice $100 headphones...BUT maybe I'm wrong.

idk, but that's a lot of green even for full sized cans. That being said I sure would like to listen to some of them.A buddy lent me his sennheiser ie800 to try and I did really really like the sound. The fit wasn't that good for my ears though and for 700 bucks well.....

That being said I can absolutely recommend the sound magic ie80 for under 100 bucks. They are dynamic drivers that are fast and close to neutral- with deep base extension that doesn't muddy the mids, and sync really good with the n3. I think my next headphone purchase might be full sized cans, meze 99 perhaps?

As a consumer you do have access to a wide number of daps, but nothing compared to headphones and iems.

Apr 22, 2017 at 1:21 AM Post #165 of 2,460
I really like the UI and compact size of my Shanling M1, so this new M2s is really tempting - but I am a bit concerned about how the higher output impedance will affect the sound quality of my IEMs, which are mostly 16Ω - 32Ω (some are hybrids, with Balanced Armature drivers).   A number of my earbuds are higher impedance 64Ω - 650Ω, so their sound quality shouldn't be affected too much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back