Shanling M0 Pro - Ultra-Portable Hi-Fi Player, Now With Balanced Output!
Apr 18, 2024 at 8:45 PM Post #784 of 787
Any updates on if/when this issue will be addressed? Can confirm similar issue with genuine SanDisK 1.5Tb card on latest firmware.
Please what exact issue are you facing with your card?

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Apr 22, 2024 at 11:13 AM Post #787 of 787
Request for Many Software Enhancements of this Awesome Player! :D:thumbsup:

Great player for the mini DAC-DAP lovers! I have a few of them. I see it as THE niche player going forward for replacing the SanDisk Sansa line (long-time Clip fan here), especially if Rockbox is ever developed for it, BUT I offer some suggestions for future firmware modifications to enhance this already wonderful player and make it top notch:

Audiobook m4b recognition:

Complaint:
m4b files simply renamed to m4a play just fine but it's tedious and unnecessary to rename a large collection and when not wanting to alter the files, even by extension, as the player is capable of playing them as .m4a.

Possible fix: At the firmware simply add .m4a into the long lists of formats that the player is already able to recognize. As long as the player then sees the file, it will play it just fine as proven in the experiment of renaming it from .m4b to .m4a.
And while there, of course add a bookmarking ability for whichever title is played. Rockbox had this for the Clip. A separate Bookmarks section that held the last time position of numerous titles that were played.

Audiobook bookmarking:

Complaint:
The only effective way I can resume audiobook playback after powering off the device is from the Now Playing section IF I did not play some other file afterwards.
Or to resume from the Frequent or Recent section but that ability is finicky. Sometimes a recent entry will be saved for the same track of an audiobook each time it was resumed, creating multiple entries for the same track, so if the user listens to the end, they may have the device play the same track again but from a different timestamp! Very frustrating. Or have the player go to some sort of music file instead of going to the next track of the audiobook if a multi-file audiobook (i.e. several mp3s instead of 1 m4a/m4b).

Preference: Model how Rockbox effectively stored the last played location as separate and well-organized bookmark files. It would basically store just one bookmark for the one audiobook title, whether a single m4a/m4b file or multiple mp3 files. It seemed to be folder-based for audibook folders containing multiple files.
I already searched the forum in regards to bookmarking and noticed several posts but I am placing it here as it is part of my master list of requests.

Wake player using volume wheel or screen tap/hold:

Complaint:
During use and after the player's screen goes off, the only way to wake the player is to press the button. Because accessing the player from a black screen while in use is a very common action I believe this would greatly shorten the lifespan of the button. Also a minor 2nd bother is the noise of the button in quiet environments. Say for example your partner is trying to sleep and you have to press the button dozens of times to randomly navigate among folders when not using playlists. A few occassional presses is fine though.

Possible fix: Add into the firmware the ability and option to enable or disable waking the player with a volume wheel turn. And/or if possible, either touching the screen or a 3 second tap-hold of the screen to wake the device. Although there may be no power to the screen while it is off and the player is in use so it may not be able to register any touches. But the volume wheel is of course responsive in that state so I think that the volume method would work with a simply firmware edit.

Waking device shows the now playing screen:

Complaint:
The user does not always desire seeing the now playing screen when waking the device.

Preference: Wake to the last visited screen and not always to the now playing item. Reason: In case the user was navigating within Settings, Folders, etc and in the middle of their task, while briefly attending to another item outside of the player, the screen timed out, then they want to return to that last location to resume their desired task.

Scroll file & folder names horizontally/left-to-right:

Complaint:
The scrolling is not automatic and is quite tedious to do so manually with the fast swipe left action for each item. It is also only 1 time so it has to be performed again if the user missed it.

Preference: Automatically repeat-scroll the top item in the list.

Recent list clearing: Clearing recent entries at My Music - Frequent and Recent.

Complaint:
Clearing many items becomes tedious and there is a bug where not all items get removed despite the user removing them multiple times and are not being actively played.

Preference: An option in Settings to not retain entries for recent items. Or if that is not possible, an option to remove all entries in one operation.

Fast forward & reverse:

Complaint:
There are no dedicated FFD & REV software buttons but only the finicky/tedious small timeline bar. I also find it too annoying to use the playback speed workaround.

Preference: Tap-hold FFD & REV screen buttons for these operations to advance, for example 10 seconds for each 1 second pressed and gradually increasing in the time advanced the longer the button is pressed. For example, changes to advancing 1 minute per second pressed after being held for about 10 seconds.
As the timeline is small, it is not accurate & precise enough for navigating longer titles. Trying to tap the tip of the finger on the small timeline to advance seconds at a time or reach a specific location is very difficult and tedious.

Prevent device from powering on when connected to the charging cable from an off state:

Complaint:
The user does not always want to use the device every time they connect it to charging yet it powers on each time.

Preference: I would prefer that the player simply does not power on when connecting to a charger.

Of course I would be super excited if all of these requests were fulfilled and I truly believe that all of them are indeed possible, but I would still appreciate it if Shanling (or maybe some Rockbox developers; hopefully someone is working on Rockbox for this great player! :confused:) could at least work on a couple or a few of these!
Thank you Shanling for the great player! It really helps improve my experiences and enjoyment over the Sansa line and is a nice upgrade. And thank you Shanling for reading and at least considering to implement some or all :D:thumbsup:of these requests! You have such a great, niche player here (for the ultra-compact DAC-DAP lovers). I would highly recommend to take the extra effort and truly polish this device to perfection (or close to it at least)! THANKS! :D

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back