Sgt. Pepper - bad SQ or bad vinyl?
Jan 4, 2010 at 4:29 AM Post #16 of 17
The title of this thread seemed so inviting. Unfortunately, I have no idea, but I would love to hear from someone who does.

Jan 5, 2010 at 7:11 AM Post #17 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by ssportclay /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I bought the mono Capital LP in 1967 which I believe was all there was in the USA at the time. My ears were much better then but my equipment wasn't so I cannot speak about the sound quality. A few years later I bought the Capital stereo copy. My modest equipment at the time told me that the recording was botched and I just put up with it mildly happy that I at least had 2 channel stereophonic sound and very state of the art high Tech stuff even though the sound sucked. In the middle 70s, I bought EMI Parlophone PCS 7027. This is a stereophonic British import. Excellent sound. This is probably as good as it gets. The new CD release is probable very close as played on an excellent CD player. I have heard better recordings than Sgt. Pepper but this recording is certainly more than good enough to light up a very good stereophonic system. Which recording do you have?

I bought the stereo Sgt. Pepper in 1967 when it first came out. The album was recorded with multitrack technology, which has been analyzed and discussed since its release. The biggest thing about the sound was that the band and the producer attempted to mimic the audio hallucinations of an acid trip. Nowadays the sound seems so jarring and bizarre that many can't listen to it at all on headphones. I think it sounds more coherent on speakers, although when it first came out it was quite a novelty to listen to it on headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back