Sextett MP Recabling
Feb 12, 2009 at 3:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

dazzer1975

Headphoneus Supremus
Ok, so I am thinking out loud here. I am waiting for some wire, 1/8 and 1/4 terminals and a multimeter to arrive, as noted elsewhere I plan on learning a bit of soldering and advancing my diy prowess.

Anyway, I have a couple sets of akg 240's lying around, both mid production, one needs some TLC and the other pair is pretty much fine. In my eagerness to start dabbling around and learning how things fit together and work I have dismantled and reassembled the sextetts that require a bit of love and decided I would try to recable them. along with the other more mundane sundry items such as elastics, headband and earpads.

At present they are wired single entry, but I have noticed there is a grommet/bung filling a cable entry/exit point on the other side of the headphones. I plan to dismantle the headphones again when all my gear gets here and have a stab at making a dual entry set of sextetts.

I will desolder the connections going through the headband wires and resolder the new cable directly to both drivers and ground points.

I plan on keeping it simple so will use a 4 wire cable, perhaps some 26 awg teflon insulated cooper and teflon insulated silver 2 of each, one strand each for signal and two for ground and in theory, in my head at least this should be quite a doddle of a procedure. At least, what needs to be done seems straightforward enough to me in my naive ignorant state.

I can't see a problem with my proposal, other than my skill at being able to pull it off.

Feb 12, 2009 at 5:14 AM Post #2 of 9
I just recabled my sextetts and they were a simple affair. Like you said there are holes on the right for a cable so it's easy to make them dual entry.

The longest part of the actual procedure was actually preparing the cable, which i did twice because the split was too short the first time.

Good luck!

Feb 24, 2009 at 7:28 PM Post #3 of 9
If you could put up some pictures of your mod and other details (what cable did you end up using) that would be REAL cool. I'm currently researching options to recable my 240DFs which I believe are very similar in build.

Feb 24, 2009 at 7:45 PM Post #4 of 9
Here's mine. I used Mogami 2534 and a Switchcraft plug. Still waiting on replacement pads and elastics, thus the rubberbands.

_HRH7534.jpg

Feb 24, 2009 at 8:08 PM Post #5 of 9
Very nice, would you mind giving me the part number for the little rubber things that hold the cable under each earcup? I got in contact with a rep here in L.A. and it looks like they've got most of the parts in stock (pads are 1-4 wks. backordered too). Thanks for posting the pic!

Also, did you basically split the shield to go to each driver? I am thinking of the cabling at this time and was thinking of doing two separate (teflon-shielded) grounds, can you please give me your thoughts on that?

P.S. sorry, for the hijacking (try to butt in only when I feel my questions would also benefit the OP).

Feb 24, 2009 at 8:58 PM Post #8 of 9
Only have 1 signal and 1 ground for each driver for a total of 4. The copper shielding that goes around the 4 conductors I just cut away. And the 2 ground are soldered together on the plug end.
5602.jpg

The tubing is heatshrink with the 2 wires twisted together, which you can twist by hand or by putting the end in the chuck of a drill and twisting it that way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back