Sensaphonics custom molds for shure E4c (by request)
Jan 21, 2007 at 4:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Hoppergrass

500+ Head-Fier
i have been asked to post some pics of my sensaphonics silicon custom molds for my Shure E4c. i'll try to cover all questions you might ask but if i don't address something you'd like to know post it here and i'll continue to check in for a day or two. here goes:
the process: after i made a few phone calls to sensaphonics with basic questions about comfort and durability and such, i made an appointment with an audiologist to have impressions made. you can find many posts going into detail about that process so i'll leave it out of this one, but it was not a bad experience.

cost: (my quotes are as of spring '05 and are in U.S. the dollar. not sure if the prices are still the same) $100 for sensaphonics to make the molds. they came with a small pouch to keep them in, a smaller zip lock bag inside of that to keep them in complete with a set of instructions for insertion and cleaning. the trip to the audiologist was $80 for me, but i also had my hearing tested while i was there and i'm not sure how the price was broken down. my guess is that having imressions taken would be somewhere between $30 and $50. and sensaphonics sent them back to the audiologist and i went back (no charge this time) and did a fit test there. they fit fine the first time.

my experience: the reason i got these is that i was having a little trouble keeping my E4Cs in my right ear. i used all tips and all sizes and just couldn't get them to stay in my right ear unless i was absolutely still. my audiologist told me it is shaped a little differently than the left. they are very comfortable and offer great isolation, but it took me about a week to get used to putting them in. it's not as easy as putting in ultimate ears custom molds i later bought. and it's worth mentioning that they are made of silicon, and when talking with UE about my purchase with them they said they stopped making molds in silicon because some people were having allergic reactions from them. so if it's possible you are allergic to silicon i'd go another route, or spend more $$$ and get UE acrylic molds. i'm pretty sure they offer a variety of colors though i don't remember how many or in which colors. mine are the "clear" model which are actually a pink flesh color.

pros: great isolation. very comfortable. great customer service with sensaphonics. very durable. and are removable and washable. (warm soapy water.)
cons: the IEMs don't fit in as snuggly today as they did when the molds were new. they're not loose, and they certainly don't fall out, but they just don't fit so tight anymore. my suggestion to anyone who might buy these is to be very careful to remove them by grabbing the silicon only and without tugging on the wires at all. i also remove and wash mine more often than is probably necessary. my guess is these are possible causes to the less tight fit. and so without further ado, here are some pics. hope i've been helpful.

dscf00351yi.jpg

dscf00377hx.jpg

dscf00386cd.jpg

Jan 21, 2007 at 11:29 AM Post #2 of 19
those are awesome!!

thanks for taking the time to snap the pics (even the ones where you are wearing them).

You've pushed me over the edge and i"m going to go this route.

Jan 21, 2007 at 8:17 PM Post #3 of 19
Can you make comments about the sound change if you experienced any? I remember reading a thread about E500 and custom sensa sleeves and there was a complaint about the highs being rolled off compared to the standard tips. The reason behind this is thought to be that the sleeves place the ports of the earphones further away from the ear canal. I would like to read your thoughts on this as well. Living close to Sensaphonics is tempting...
wink.gif

Jan 22, 2007 at 1:49 AM Post #4 of 19
well i didn't notice anything when i got them, probably for two reasons:
1) i have a decent ear but probably not as good as most people on this site, based on things i have read here where people notice things that i can't. and 2) because at the time i was only running out of an unamped iPod. any differences that i'm able to hear should show up better now that i have a decent amp, but now i mostly listen to my UE 10-pros. but i'll give an A/B listen with yellow foamies and the custom sleeves here in a day or so.

Jan 22, 2007 at 3:11 AM Post #5 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoppergrass /img/forum/go_quote.gif
... but i'll give an A/B listen with yellow foamies and the custom sleeves here in a day or so.

Thank you, I would really appreciate that, since I am about to pull the trigger on custom sleeves. Yellow foams are the best for me, but they get expensive in the long run and I do not think of changing my IEMs soon.

Jan 22, 2007 at 3:26 AM Post #6 of 19
OMG...i want them...but i have no money...

How would you say they change the sound? Could you compare the sound to a insert that comes with it? I must know...im going to eat Ramen noodles for the next 6 months to afford them ahahaaa.

DAM......!!!

Jan 22, 2007 at 11:03 PM Post #7 of 19
well guys i just finished an A/B test and must admit i'm
a bit surprised by my results. for the test i used an
iModded iPod (not fully burnt in, if you believe in such things)
and a ray samuels tomahawk (fully burnt in). in between
those is an ALO cryo jena wire mini to mini. i listened to
4 songs all ripped in apple lossless format and my eyes were
closed for most of it. the songs:
1) Henry Mancini's Pink Panther Theme
2) Jeff Buckley's Last Goodbye
3) Antonio Vivaldi's Concerto Grosso Op. 3 No. 8 in A Minor
4) and just for fun, Prince's Joy In Repetition (because i love the guitars at the end)

i honestly didn't think i'd notice a difference and i'm not sure i would have perceived it if i hadn't listened to everything back to back, but the foamies sound quite a bit better. with the custom molds things sounded a bit cloudier/muddier. separation was much better through the foamies and the highs seemed a bit brighter. the differences weren't night and day but i could tell with all four songs. so take that for what it's worth in making your decisions. comfort and isolation definitely goes to the silicon. but the sound quality is a bit better without it.

Jan 22, 2007 at 11:39 PM Post #8 of 19
Thank you very much for your time and effort in performing this test. This was something I was afraid of
frown.gif
. The reason behind this, I guess, is a flow in the design of the custom sleeves, which place the earphones further away from the ear canal. Although it won't be the same, I tried placing my E500s a bit further compared to where they supposed to sit, and I experienced a bit muddiness and there was a problem with the highs as well. I will ask the guys at Sensaphonics, if it is possible to modify the molds in a way that the earphones sit closer to the ear canal. I will let you guys know about that.

Mar 1, 2007 at 12:33 AM Post #10 of 19
well the difference is that the silicon custom molds for the shure
product is an aftermarket product from a different company.
the shure drivers are designed to sit a certain distance from
the eardrum and these molds move that driver distance
enough to alter the sound. and a comparison between the e4c
and the UE-10Pro just isn't fair for two reasons: 1) the UE
custom molds are designed as customs and are measured
after the build, and 2) the shure e4c is a single driver IEM
and the 10pro is a triple driver so for those 2 reasons the
10pros are quite a bit better.

Apr 8, 2007 at 2:22 AM Post #12 of 19
I just recently got sensaphonic molds for my e4c's, and I just wanted to say that I didn't notice any alteration in sound as opposed to the universal fit plugs.

One thing that will change the sound is the driver position inside the sleeve. At first I thought the sleeve was killing all the high end, but it was becuase the driver was rotated a bit in the mold. Moving it around immediately opened up the sound. It now sounds just like it did with the yellow foamies.

-Matt

Apr 8, 2007 at 4:02 AM Post #14 of 19
that's quite disappointing. i'm thinking of getting aftermarket custom earpieces for er-4, and they go much deeper than e4. perhaps other manufacturers place the barrel correctly...

Apr 8, 2007 at 6:17 AM Post #15 of 19
if you look on the sensaphonics website, the custom sleeve for the etymotic iems are way different than for the shures (presumably to compensate for the difference in depth you mentioned).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back