Sennhiser momentum(200€ headphones reccomandation)
Jul 22, 2014 at 1:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

ItalianDrummer

New Head-Fier
Hello :)
I'm writing there because of a strange thing, the last week I was in England for a study tour, and in a local store(I can't remember the name, its walls are blue and it sells CDs too) and I tried the Momentum over(I've heard very well about them :) ) and my reaction was (with my Nexus 5 as source): "WOW, PERFECT!"
Today I was in Milan and I tried the same HP in two stores(Mondadori/Excelsior) and they seemed me an other kind of HP! The soundstage, volume and imaging were sightly worse! I can't imagine why.... Maybe in the other store they were amplified... What do you think? In London they seemed perfect for me and I wonder if they are really that way..

Sorry if my sentences, maybe, aren't the clearest you have ever read ahaha :p

Jul 24, 2014 at 1:08 PM Post #4 of 12
Hearing and perception can vary from day to day. Or perhaps they are indeed different.

Jul 24, 2014 at 2:29 PM Post #5 of 12
Yes you are maybe right, but was it a problem or are they really bad headphones? I don't want to earn 230€ for something that i don't maybe like :) Isn't it possible that in england they were amplified? (I don't think so, but It's better to ask :) )

Jul 24, 2014 at 3:39 PM Post #6 of 12
Could you not buy them and then if you don't like them return them? I know in the USA, best buy has a great return policy if you buy it then don't like it. Demo units also go through a good amount of abuse so you may have used a newish demo unit vs an old one. Or like you said the one pair could have been amped

Jul 24, 2014 at 6:58 PM Post #7 of 12
Mmh I think that Amazon does the same :)

What do you think about momentums? Are they Good to use with a portable device(Nexus 5) without amp? How are them in general? Which DAC/Amp should I use to pilot them?

Jul 24, 2014 at 7:15 PM Post #8 of 12
I have a moto g and don't feel like I'm missing much without an amp. I run it at a little under half power for normal listening. I just got the momentums today and I'm a newb so take what I say with a grain of salt but I love them.

Jul 25, 2014 at 5:21 AM Post #9 of 12
Interesting... There is another strange thing: now I have a Superlux HD-681, they are quite good but strangely they're much louder and clearer than the momentums I tried in Milan... Maybe really was the cable! And if @thdarkshadow says that with a Moto G they're good I suppose that the ones I tried in London were "normal" :) 

But, just in case, which other pair you recommend me? :) thanks in advance :) (I listen to every kind of music genre, especially dance, alternative metal/rock and classic)

Jul 25, 2014 at 10:32 PM Post #10 of 12
NAD hp50

Jul 26, 2014 at 6:34 AM Post #11 of 12
Momentums are 40€ cheaper and fancier.. Others?
But I think I'll buy Momentums, but I need another recommendation, can you suggest me a nice DAC+AMP? Sometimes I use my headphones outdoor, so I may need it... I was reading about fiio E17 and it seems nice, but maybe for 150€ you know something better :)
I don't think that a player like the x3 will suit me because I want something to use with my phone and PC when I play something out listen to music so... And I don't like much the X3 design

Users who are viewing this thread

Back