sennhieser Hd-600 for rock
Jan 29, 2002 at 4:19 AM Post #16 of 25
My $.02 is that my Grado 325's are definitely better than the Senn's for anything with significant electronic bass and which generally is classified as "rock."

The Senn HD600's rule on classical, jazz, and vocals.

That's why I have both. Of course the MX400's blow 'em all away.

Jan 29, 2002 at 4:31 AM Post #17 of 25
if you have good equipment and clous, the HD600s kick ass for rock. Senns on good equipment are not dark, veiled, or too laid back.

Jan 29, 2002 at 4:39 AM Post #18 of 25
Senn 600/Clou red will rock with the best phones, the clou cable is what transforms the 600 from polite/civilized to dynamic/powerful sound......you must get the cable!

Anders
You should post your thoughts in the music section under the "darkest desires" thread, KR & I are reviewing/discussing
In Flames, Children of Bodom, Dark Tranquility, Dimmu Bogir etc
Cds......your avatar indicates interest in the subject.

Jan 29, 2002 at 5:03 AM Post #19 of 25
yeah, i just got the clous today and i was just floored by how much they changed the senns. I always complained about the treble and bass being a little weak and now it's just darn clear and powerful all around.

I think grados are really overrated for rock*. They make classic rock sound really good, but they're not the hardrockers I'd expect them to be. That honor goes to the CD3ks because those just shake your head with their bass.

*They're still good at rock, but not that much better than any other headphone, IMO of course.

After I try etys, I feel that HD600s w/ clous will end my affordable headphone search.

Jan 29, 2002 at 11:08 AM Post #21 of 25
Grados are... sometimes better, sometimes equal to senns with classic/adult rock, but senns hande the heavier stuff way better due to their non-fatigue sound. If you listen to scandinavian metal, like dark tranquillity, opeth, children of bodom, moonsorrow or such, you can't go wrong with HD-600s. They are prefect for smoothing the circural saw style guitarsounds, keeping the sound airy and making the classical passages sound great. If you want extreme punch and power, then grados might be for you, but if you want to chill with metal music (yes, it can be done), HD-600s are for you, heh.

HD-600 are a bit more picky for the recording. Dark and muddy recordings really sound dark and muddy trough hd-600, while grados make them sound pretty decent. Bright recordings are fatiguing trough Grados, whereas Senns make them neutral. Airy records.. aah, senns all the way!

Jan 29, 2002 at 6:58 PM Post #23 of 25
Everything sounds good through the HD600.

Now, whether or not it is
supposed to sound good, that's another story...

No headphone is "accurate".

Jan 29, 2002 at 9:32 PM Post #24 of 25
Quote:

Airy records.. aah, senns all the way!

No wayy!!! Grado RS-1 IMO beat the pants off Sennheisers on airy records (well, I only have the HD580, not the 600, but I've been told they are very similar). I also much prefer Grado when it comes to female vocalists--from Mazzy Star to Ella Fitzgerald, I think the Grados are just unbelievable presenting sweet feminine voices...

They may not be the most "accurate," but I much prefer euphonic "coloration" over "neutral." After all, isn't that why so many of us like tube amps? I'll take musical over neutral any day of the week...and I could care less if they're not accurate.

Jan 29, 2002 at 10:58 PM Post #25 of 25
Of course 580s/600s are great for rock. Just last night, I listened to The Who's "Live at Leeds" through my 580s powered by a TAH, and Sublime's eponymous disc too. I also listen to lots of Dave Matthews Band and Pearl Jam on them (both live and studio discs) and they do an exceptional job.

As an aside, I've found that anything that sounds good on powerful orchestral works (Mahler, Shostakovich, Wagner, etc.) will work well with modern music, too.

Some might say that Grados are better than Senns for rock, but that's more a reflection of those people's scant regard for rock than any indication of relative merits of the two headphones. Coloured is coloured whether you're talking about, Brueckner or Bush.

You probably will need an amp, though. They sound pretty thin and reedy through the headphone jack of my PCDP or laptop.

NP: Natalie Merchant covering Bowie, "Space Oddity" (Live in Concert)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back