Sennheiser x Massdrop HD6XX Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Dec 23, 2016 at 2:16 PM Post #2,432 of 4,141
Massdrop posted a comment regarding the cord length: https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-sennheiser-hd6xx/talk/613657
Hey everyone. Definitely a cable of the wrong length getting out there. We're talking with Sennheiser now to see what happened and how to fix it. Should get back to you all soon.  

For those who are impatient, an extension cord can be had for as little as $0.75:
https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=102&cp_id=10218&cs_id=1021808&p_id=648&seq=1&format=2

Dec 23, 2016 at 2:27 PM Post #2,433 of 4,141
If you think the HD650 has insane bass then the TH-X00 would make you think there's an earthquake.

I used to own the Purplehearts, I thought the bass on them was weaker than HD650... mahagony has better bass than purplehearts i think tho so you might be right, not sure

Dec 23, 2016 at 2:51 PM Post #2,434 of 4,141
  i am not an elitist... but these cans are polar opposites... it just blows me away... the graph is wrong, there is no way in hell they are close to the same can... hd 598 open back has one of the best soundstages ever, and HD650 has none, HD650 has insane bass, HD598 has none... im not even talking about mionute differences most headphones have, im literally saying polar opposities... maybe my ears are different, i dunno w.e

Maybe you should watch the sweeping extremes and absolutes in your statements.  Case in point : words like "massive," "insane," and especially "none." The word "None" particularly is so "absolute" in its implications that in using it,  you make it very easy for your claims to be refuted: i.e. Hd650 has "none" (i.e. no soundstage)... HD 598 has "none" (i.e. no bass)... Is there any such thing as a headphone with absolutely no bass at all, or one with absolutely no soundstage at all, literally speaking? I have not seen any in existence, and I am almost 100% certain that you haven't either, so let's chalk these down as effects of over-enthusiastic (or over-the-top) rhetoric and move on, although, please note that such statements may and do mislead, even if you do not intend to mislead your readers by making them.

Coming back to basics : If you're calling the soundstage of the HD598 "massive," then what are you going to call that of the HD800, which surpasses the 598 by some considerable margin (I have owned both, and I know that the 598 does not fairly compare to the 800 in that respect).

One could say something similar about the bass of the Hd650/Hd6XX that you're calling "insane." There are others in the Fostex, JVC, abyss, and even Hifiman lines that do a much better (and sometimes, more refined) job in handling bass, and what adjectives will these other cans deserve, in your opinion?

For the record, the HD650/6XX does have a decently spacious soundstage, which is not up to the level of the HD800, but it is large enough to enable  the user to hear the space and "air" around instruments, so do not be so dismissive about it.  That said, using the HD6XX on one of my rigs, I can hear it placing some instruments outside my immediate headspace, so if you're hearing that its soundstage is non-existent (I frankly do not know how to interpret that statement literally, since, to repeat myself, I know of no headphones that have absolutely no soundstage), have you considered the possibility that you might be using an amp that is not optimally matching the HD650/HD6XX?

I think you know by now where I am heading with this line of questioning, so I shall stop here
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 23, 2016 at 3:37 PM Post #2,436 of 4,141
Mine arrived today...just before the holidays! Sound exactly like the HD650s (owned several years ago as well) that I heard at RMAF and for $200, this is one of the best audio price-to-performance ratios I can think of! 8 years ago when I joined Head-Fi, the HD650s were "endgame" headphones and while they've been surpassed, they are still outstanding headphones that scale very well.

Tried them on my Chord Mojo and just moved up to my Hugo TT / GS-X Mk2 and wow!

Dec 23, 2016 at 3:48 PM Post #2,437 of 4,141
Any of you that think that HD650 and HD598 open back sound the same... make no sense to me, its not even marginal, they are literally polar opposite cans in sound signature. but w.e we can move on, i guess im insane

Dec 23, 2016 at 4:06 PM Post #2,439 of 4,141
  Massdrop posted a comment regarding the cord length: https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-sennheiser-hd6xx/talk/613657

For those who are impatient, an extension cord can be had for as little as $0.75:
https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=102&cp_id=10218&cs_id=1021808&p_id=648&seq=1&format=2

thanks, mine is definitely not 6ft - seems like 3ft or less.

Dec 23, 2016 at 4:58 PM Post #2,441 of 4,141
If anyone is looking to sell their 6xx, I'm looking for a pair.

Dec 23, 2016 at 5:09 PM Post #2,442 of 4,141
Dishonored 2 (video game) sure sounds good on the HD6XX. :D

This might be the most richly atmospheric game since the first Bioshock. The audio, both music and sound effects play such an important role in setting this fantastic scene. And the HD6XX makes this sooooo good.

Dec 23, 2016 at 5:20 PM Post #2,444 of 4,141
  Can anyone compare the build quality of HD650 and HD6xx? I don't have HD650, and I feel a little disappointed with the build quality of HD6xx...

How so? They are exactly the same. Will last forever if you take care of them. Parts are easy to replace or mod. I love their build. They just work very well, not flashy, but well engineered.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back