Sennheiser x Massdrop HD6XX Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Mar 26, 2019 at 9:45 PM Post #4,111 of 4,141
Thanks--I think that's pretty much the only way to ensure the pins fit nicely without a monumental struggle to insert/unplug. I'm wondering if yours is a Corpse Cable as they mod the stock Senn HD__ cables with various terminations.

You just don't know what you're going to get aftermarket-wise. I know as I have an aftermarket 2.5mm TRRS terminated for my HD-58X's--it's OK but you do have to struggle a bit on the removal. I had an experience with another aftermarket bought for my 6XX's and it turned out to be almost impossible to remove, as the sockets in the 6XX earcups are, in my case, smaller than the ones in my 58's. I had other problems with that 6XX cable so I'm just looking for a modded stock at this point and I think I'll end up pursuing the Corpse Cable.
Yes, Bob. I purchased the cable from Corpse Cable (eBay Store) in August last year. My cable works great.

Apr 10, 2019 at 6:28 PM Post #4,112 of 4,141
thumbnail.jpeg

Anyone seen this ?

Apr 11, 2019 at 5:13 PM Post #4,113 of 4,141

Anyone seen this ?

I answered my own question after some research I found some custom wood earcups for the 6 series.

I sure would like to find some opinions from someone who has bought them because I am interested in buying a deep closed set and a narrow set with open grills .
img28.jpg

img35.jpg

img31.jpg

Here is the link
http://headphile.com/page4.html

May 2, 2019 at 2:38 PM Post #4,114 of 4,141
Aaand MD is now "drop" along with jacking up prices...

Jan 9, 2020 at 4:09 PM Post #4,116 of 4,141
Can someone help me understand the Frequency Response differences?

The HD 6XX are listed as 10 Hz to 41 kHz on the Massdrop site:
Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX

The HD 650 are listed as 10 Hz to 41 kHz on the Sennheiser site:
Sennheiser HD 650

Then, on the Amazon site, the HD 650 is listed as 10 Hz to 39500 Hz:
Amazon.com Sennheiser HD 650

I just got HD6xx last night and noticed the different frequency responses in the manuals (vs HD650). My HD650, purchased from Amazon about 2 years ago, has the 39.5kHz in the manual, and the new HD6xx has 41kHz.

I wonder if there was another driver change. It does appear to be a different PN written on the driver but I haven't investigated that too thoroughly yet.

FWIW the HD6xx I received yesterday are made in Romania.

Either way, I love them. Build quality is identical to my HD650s - down to mold gates, machining marks, and swirls in the plastic. The difference is (lack of) paint and slightly different cord.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2020 at 5:41 PM Post #4,117 of 4,141
I just got HD6xx last night and noticed the different frequency responses in the manuals (vs HD650). My HD650, purchased from Amazon about 2 years ago, has the 39.5kHz in the manual, and the new HD6xx has 41kHz.

I wonder if there was another driver change. It does appear to be a different PN written on the driver but I haven't investigated that too thoroughly yet.

FWIW the HD6xx I received yesterday are made in Romania.

Either way, I love them. Build quality is identical to my HD650s - down to mold gates, machining marks, and swirls in the plastic. The difference is (lack of) paint and slightly different cord.
Perhaps to get the high res sticker they upped the frequency? 40Khz is some sort of minimum requirement from high res. Sad, but true.

I'm pretty sure it didn't go up in inaudible performance. Lol

Jan 9, 2020 at 5:48 PM Post #4,118 of 4,141
Ah that makes sense: the HD650 manual says FR= 16-30,000 Hz (-3dB) and 10-39,500 Hz (-10dB), so maybe 41kHz is near the absolute response limit.

Jan 9, 2020 at 6:38 PM Post #4,119 of 4,141
Ah that makes sense: the HD650 manual says FR= 16-30,000 Hz (-3dB) and 10-39,500 Hz (-10dB), so maybe 41kHz is near the absolute response limit.

All of this frequency response range is just marketing information. The difference between 39,500Hz and 41,000Hz is inaudible. As a matter of fact most people cannot hear anything over 17,000 or 18,000Hz (in my case I may still hear something at 17000hz but definitely cannot hear nothing over 17500 or 18000hz, and I tried !), although the human ear is supposed to react until 20,000Hz in theory. The HD650 uses the same driver and enclosure as the HD6XX. Some minor differences may occur between individual drivers, and that’s why the drivers are matched by pair by Sennheiser. One test may record 10-39500hz, the other 16-41000hz, there is no reason to care, the differences are inaudible at both ends of the range, even your dog will not hear it because most digital hardware/software (CD, Mp3, vinyl hardware, etc.) and most other analog hardware (cartridges, tuners, tape machines, amplifiers) will not produce sound up to these frequency extremities, so enjoy your Headphones!

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2020 at 1:05 AM Post #4,121 of 4,141
I assume you're pretty well maxed out with amp and dac? They would likely have a bigger improvement on stage and separation. I just upgraded to Bottlehead Crack and a $30 Tung Sol tube and I would call the sound stage 'limitless' with depth in 3 dimensions.

It's also the first time I've truly heard the effects of a bad cable. I have an extension I use sometimes at home and have tried to listen for it but never could. After I got the Crack the difference was immediately apparent.

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2020 at 1:16 AM Post #4,122 of 4,141
I assume you're pretty well maxed out with amp and dac? They would likely have a bigger improvement on stage and separation. I just upgraded to Bottlehead Crack and a $30 Tung Sol tube and I would call the sound stage 'limitless' with depth in 3 dimensions.

It's also the first time I've truly heard the effects of a bad cable. I have an extension I use sometimes at home and have tried to listen for it but never could. After I got the Crack the difference was immediately apparent.

Good reminder. Thank you. Tube amps might help more than the cable, you are right. I may have to look around for one. Bottlehead Crack is good idea but I might ruin the soldering process. Readymade Bottlehead Cracks available anywhere? DarkVoice is decent enough with upgrade tubes? I am running 6XX from either RME ADI-2 Pro or MixPre-6, unbalanced it does seem to reach a good level but they say 6XX can really scale up with good dedicated amps. Unfortunately,I might be needing a 10ft cable too for use in studio and preferably with XLR balanced termination.

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2020 at 1:25 AM Post #4,123 of 4,141
(Actually, you can get a genuine HD650 cable for like $15 from Sennheiser - it seems a little nicer than the HD6xx cable in build quality, but I'm not saying it sounds any different.)

I think Bottlehead will build one for $250 and I'm sure there are people out there who would do it for less. I would. But it's super easy to build and Bottlehead even has videos out to help with soldering. It's also really easy to fix if you mess something up, and the gurus at Bottlehead are even on their forum all the time to help.

I heard how well the HD6xx scales too. I was using Schiit Modi Multibit and Vali 2, and sort of doubted it could be 'that' much better. Boy, was I wrong.

So yeah I mentioned that because changing the tubes on a good amp can have a pretty dramatic change on sound stage and imaging. I now have an RCA tube I like for intimate, acoustic music and a Chatham 6AS7G I like for 'modern music' that benefits from stage and depth.

I hate when someone asks for something specific, and someone else responds with something totally different - I didn't want to do that but it just seemed like the money could be better spent if you didn't already have something amazing.

Aug 13, 2020 at 1:28 AM Post #4,124 of 4,141
Oh I just ordered a 20ft extension from Performance Audio. It's Mogami Star Quad cable with your choice of end fittings, for around $35 which is little more than the cost of materials. It will be here Saturday so I can comment on it after then.

Aug 13, 2020 at 9:48 AM Post #4,125 of 4,141
Mogami Star Quad is ok, but it’s a common microphone cable... decent but not the max possible quality. Many aftermarket cables are just side grades. You may or may not hear much difference from the Mogami to the stock Sennheiser cable (I haven’t compared these two, but I may have made a comment over three years ago when I got a mogami cable to replace my stock AKG cable), but it will probably be a little heavier and less pliable.

I agree with @Joe Garfield, cable downgrades/upgrades are audible, but lower end amps and other gear in the signal chain can add their own artifacts that mask the effect of the cable. Tubes or solid state amps can both be high quality, and there are many great options out there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back