Sennheiser Updates? - HD4x9 Announced?
Sep 19, 2011 at 1:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 47

R-Audiohead

1000+ Head-Fier
I noticed this on Sennheiser's webpage:

http://www.sennheiser.com/sennheiser/home_en.nsf/root/private_headphones_hifi_wired-headphones_504767

I know a lot of people around here aren't that interested in low end Senns, but I really enjoy the HD448 as an easy portable.

I'm quite curious for the HD449.  Hopefully this is more than just a re-shelling.  Might have to do a comparison here once they are available...

Sep 19, 2011 at 8:38 AM Post #3 of 47
Intriguing!  I too thought the HD448 was excellent, though it's a bit strange that Sennheiser is replacing the HD4X8 line only a few years after its initial release.

Sep 19, 2011 at 12:17 PM Post #5 of 47
Really?  What didn't you like about the HD448?

Sep 19, 2011 at 12:57 PM Post #6 of 47
I noticed it was only on the world website and not the USA one.

I admittedly have a soft spot for the HD 448. Really hope it isn't just a reshelling since it does appear the drivers seem the same

Sep 19, 2011 at 1:47 PM Post #7 of 47
I wish Sennheiser would make either a magnetic planar headphone or a proper full electrostatic like the one they used to make, rather than releasing what might be yet another middle of the road sounding headphone, but I guess they do have their uses.

Sep 19, 2011 at 3:57 PM Post #9 of 47

Quote:
I found the bass to be rather uncontrolled, even with solid amplification. Moreover, they were not very comfortable for me.

The comfort really seems to be a hit miss thing.  Some people like a little bit of pressure on the head so the fit is more secure.

That's nice at time, but I really don't mind the looser pillow fit of the 448.

I do agree if anything was disappointing about this phone, it was a potentially uncontrolled low end... but the mids are so nice for the price!  Very relaxed sound signature in my opinion.

Sep 19, 2011 at 3:57 PM Post #10 of 47

Quote:
I wish Sennheiser would make either a magnetic planar headphone or a proper full electrostatic like the one they used to make, rather than releasing what might be yet another middle of the road sounding headphone, but I guess they do have their uses.

Agreed. Also, what about an update to the 600 series?  I feel like this is overdue.

Sep 19, 2011 at 4:46 PM Post #11 of 47
The HD 800 in my opinion proves there is plenty of life (not just about staying alive, many feel they are far superior to the LCD-2 etc) in dynamic drivers. And the HD 650 is still fully competitive (with a good amp) with many high end headphones. As a large company I see little point in Sennheiser going electrostatic, the market for those is just far too small. The HD 800 has sold pretty well too, I´m sure a lot better than the electrostats they used to make. Magnetic planars, it would indeed be interesting to see what Sennheiser with good resources could do with that tech - let´s be honest here, so far planars have more or less been made by garage type companies (compared to Sennheiser). 

However,  I see little point why Sennheiser would move in that direction after investing in proprietary tech to have the best soundstage in the headphone business (HD 800 patented ring drivers). Going planars doesn´t fit the Sennheiser house sound at all... My bet for the next Sennheiser high end headphone is a revised 650 with the new ring drivers. Something like a HD 750, in the 500-700 $ price segment.

Sep 19, 2011 at 5:34 PM Post #12 of 47
Some good points there.

Sep 19, 2011 at 5:51 PM Post #13 of 47

Quote:
Agreed. Also, what about an update to the 600 series?  I feel like this is overdue.

Like vrln said, the HD650 with the ring driver would be interesting, not that there is anything wrong with the HD650's, with the right amp they can sound amazing & often get unfair comments regarding the veiled or laid back sound, but there does seem to be a gap in the Sennheiser range at the moment, the HD800's are right up at the top end of the price band, where as the HD650's are quite affordable, it would be nice to see something inbetween these two headphones, like an HD700 or similar.

Sep 19, 2011 at 6:39 PM Post #14 of 47

Quote:
Like vrln said, the HD650 with the ring driver would be interesting, not that there is anything wrong with the HD650's, with the right amp they can sound amazing & often get unfair comments regarding the veiled or laid back sound, but there does seem to be a gap in the Sennheiser range at the moment, the HD800's are right up at the top end of the price band, where as the HD650's are quite affordable, it would be nice to see something inbetween these two headphones, like an HD700 or similar.

I agree with the idea that a nice fit for an HD700/750 exists.  I don't see the argument that Sennheiser can't go into the planar magnetic route because only garage type makers are currently doing this.  If anything, this shows that there is a market for this kind of thing and no mass production or marketing has really been done.

I do agree with the point that Sennheiser wouldn't have spent all the money on developing such a high end dynamic driver just to ditch it... and yes, I feel like there is some life left in dynamic drivers.

Sep 19, 2011 at 6:43 PM Post #15 of 47
So they tweaked the design and flattened the earpads a bit.. I'll wait to see the FR graphs, but this is probably the same driver. If they changed the earcup material for something with better acoustics, then maybe they're worth a listen. Won't buy any, of course, but the 448s have a special place in my heart.. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back