Sennheiser RS160, 170 ,180... Anyone?
May 23, 2015 at 6:30 AM Post #616 of 633
The RS170 needs the source output to have the audio level at max and then adjusted to an adequate level by the buttons on the headphones.

For example my RS170 are connected to my Speaker system's 3.5 mm jack at the back of the Volume Dial that is then connected to my computers SoundCard.

When I wanted to eliminate the hissing I my PC audio level at Max and the Speakers Volume dial at Max too as it regulated the sound level given to the RS170 receiver. And then the hissing sound was eliminated. 

- This is an anecdotal piece of advise, not a sure way to solve it. 

May 25, 2015 at 4:08 PM Post #617 of 633
  The RS170 needs the source output to have the audio level at max and then adjusted to an adequate level by the buttons on the headphones.

For example my RS170 are connected to my Speaker system's 3.5 mm jack at the back of the Volume Dial that is then connected to my computers SoundCard.

When I wanted to eliminate the hissing I my PC audio level at Max and the Speakers Volume dial at Max too as it regulated the sound level given to the RS170 receiver. And then the hissing sound was eliminated. 

- This is an anecdotal piece of advise, not a sure way to solve it. 

Unfortunately that is no solution. I had my smartphone at maximum volume while testing. Via my USB DAC, the volume is already at max in the windows panel (there is no setting other than max) with the volume dial on the DAC at 1 (minimum) and the RS170 transmitter connected to the line out (-8dB).

I believe the high pitched buzz from the right ear piece and the continuous buzz during playback are inherent to the electronics and KLEER transmission. I don't think random interference could explain the latter because the buzz is always there and never changes. The only thing that changes is its amplitude when I increase the volume.

May 26, 2015 at 5:41 AM Post #618 of 633
I'm looking for closed circumaural, comfortable headphones to connect to my HT Receiver when gaming so that my other half can be in the room and read etc. when I'm gaming on my PC or consoles.
I was originally considering the RS 170 but the additional optical input and ergonomic improvements away me towards the RS175
However, the 165 look very similar apart from surround modes, has anyone compared the two?
I have a large head, will they be comfortable?
I've read about the strong bass on the 175, please tel me that's only with Bass boost on!

Jun 6, 2015 at 11:29 PM Post #619 of 633
Need your help please guys!

I have decided to get either the RS160+Fiio D3 or just the RS170. My goal is to have the best sound quality for movies out of my Blu-ray player. My Blu-ray player has coaxial out only but my Samsung TV has optical and RCA out. Would I get the best sound quality for movie playback by using the RS170 connected via RCA out from my TV or RS160 connected to Fiio D3 via coaxial out from my Samsung Blu-ray player?

I am assuming that the Fiio D3, or any good DAC, will give a higher sound quality that the on-board DAC in my TV, hence the better sound quality. Therefore RS160 + Fiio D3 DAC would sound better than the RS170. Am I wrong?

Are the bass boost and surround sound useful features or just gimmicks? Please keep in mind this is strictly for Blu-ray movie watching. Thank you.

Jun 7, 2015 at 4:29 AM Post #620 of 633
  Need your help please guys!

I have decided to get either the RS160+Fiio D3 or just the RS170. My goal is to have the best sound quality for movies out of my Blu-ray player. My Blu-ray player has coaxial out only but my Samsung TV has optical and RCA out. Would I get the best sound quality for movie playback by using the RS170 connected via RCA out from my TV or RS160 connected to Fiio D3 via coaxial out from my Samsung Blu-ray player?

I am assuming that the Fiio D3, or any good DAC, will give a higher sound quality that the on-board DAC in my TV, hence the better sound quality. Therefore RS160 + Fiio D3 DAC would sound better than the RS170. Am I wrong?

Are the bass boost and surround sound useful features or just gimmicks? Please keep in mind this is strictly for Blu-ray movie watching. Thank you.

I have had a RS 170 for several years, and a RS160 that I just plain loved to death before that.

I'm not a fan of the basic SQ of either, so I have a Rane 30 band graphic equalizer in line with the RS 170s and adjust their response to suit my tastes. Yes, there is quite a bit of bass boost.

Sep 22, 2016 at 4:26 AM Post #626 of 633
Hi, I have RS170 transmitter and RS165 headphones. Are they compatible to pair? I tried multiple times to pair them but couldn't pair. Are they compatible at all?

You can use the HDR 165, HDR 175 and HDR 185 headphones with an RS 165 transmitter. Other Sennheiser wireless headphones (e.g. RS 11x series, RS 12x series, RS 160, RS 170, RS 180, RS 220) are not compatible with the RS 165 and cannot be used.

Sennheiser Stay updated on Sennheiser at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/SennheiserUSA https://twitter.com/SennheiserUSA http://www.instagram.com/sennheiser https://sennheiser.com/
Oct 29, 2016 at 5:20 AM Post #627 of 633
I bought Sennheiser RS 175 headphones and i have option to return them in 7 days if needed but i would need answers before making decision. Headphones are very cheap feeling even they cost 200€ but biggest issue is the very light headphone cushion which make my head hurt when i keep these on long. Plastic against head does not sound very confort even in paper and it does not. Is there any way to add some cushions to these or is the only solution to return them? Already asked from Sennheiser but they does not sell cushions to these. 

Is there some other options to consider except these RS 175 under 300€? Seems that sennheiser cant provide but other manufacturers?

I use these with TV and i connect them to TV with 3.5mm connector and would like to do it with next set of headphones too if i need to change these. TV/Music/gaming is where i use these.

EDIT: Decided i keep these because it seems there is no better headphones in this price. I ordered some cushions which i might be able to add this but if someone have any solutions please tell me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back