Sennheiser RS 165, RS 175, RS 185, RS 195 - Impressions thread
Mar 26, 2016 at 6:01 PM Post #196 of 440
Thank YOU very much.  I ordered a few of the very cheap USB sound card plugins.  If they make no difference I'll give them to my son.  Before I bought the wireless Sennhiesers I had the "Asus U7" external sound card which I paid extra for as it was bought in Israel here with high added import taxes.  That didn't even help my stereo system, ASUS gives no support worth it .  I'd call them AssUs since many people had problems with that card.

Apr 5, 2016 at 10:21 PM Post #197 of 440
I got the RS185 and had them connected to my OPPO blu-ray player via optical but the volume is unreasonably low. I tried different cables and I also tried connecting the cable directly to the TV but no results. Did I get a bad lemon or is it low for everybody? 
PS: I have normal hearing. 

Apr 5, 2016 at 10:37 PM Post #198 of 440
  I got the RS185 and had them connected to my OPPO blu-ray player via optical but the volume is unreasonably low. I tried different cables and I also tried connecting the cable directly to the TV but no results. Did I get a bad lemon or is it low for everybody? 
PS: I have normal hearing. 

Have you checked that the volume adjustment in the blu-ray player is set to maximum?  I'm going to assume you also know about the volume buttons on the side of the headphones' cup (you never know..).

FWIW I have slightly below average for my 30-something age and I can make the RS185 uncomfortably loud.

Apr 5, 2016 at 10:40 PM Post #199 of 440

Have you checked that the volume adjustment in the blu-ray player is set to maximum?  I'm going to assume you also know about the volume buttons on the side of the headphones' cup (you never know..).

FWIW I have slightly below average for my 30-something age and I can make the RS185 uncomfortably loud.

The volume button is maxed but still volume is really really low. I'm not sure the bluray player has an option to control volume output. I tried to connect it to the TV directly but still the volume is much too low. If you can get yours to be uncomfortably loud then there must be something wrong with mine. Thanks for your speedy response. Appreciate all the help I can get : )

Apr 5, 2016 at 10:54 PM Post #200 of 440

The volume button is maxed but still volume is really really low. I'm not sure the bluray player has an option to control volume output. I tried to connect it to the TV directly but still the volume is much too low. If you can get yours to be uncomfortably loud then there must be something wrong with mine. Thanks for your speedy response. Appreciate all the help I can get : )

I'm not an expert with connecting these to TVs/receivers but I assume you have TV->HDMI->receiver->optical out?  It could be something simple like the stream being downmixed at the wrong stage.  What's the model of your blu-ray player?  I had a look at BDP-103 and BDP-105 and it seems at least their volume adjustments are for the non-digital outs only.  Do you have a PC/laptop you could test with?

Apr 5, 2016 at 11:02 PM Post #201 of 440
I'm not an expert with connecting these to TVs/receivers but I assume you have TV->HDMI->receiver->optical out?  It could be something simple like the stream being downmixed at the wrong stage.  What's the model of your blu-ray player?  I had a look at BDP-103 and BDP-105 and it seems at least their volume adjustments are for the non-digital outs only.  Do you have a PC/laptop you could test with?

My oppo 103 bluray player is connected to an av receiver via hdmi. The rs 185 is connected to the bluray player via optical. I have a mac. What do you have in mind? Thanks so much.

Apr 5, 2016 at 11:11 PM Post #202 of 440
My oppo 103 bluray player is connected to an av receiver via hdmi. The rs 185 is connected to the bluray player via optical. I have a mac. What do you have in mind? Thanks so much.

I would hazard a guess that the volume is set low either on the TV remote control or the receiver dial/remote.  I *think* the volume in those stages (particularly the receiver as the sound may not even reach the TV) will still affect the final output to the headphones.

If the mac has optical out then hook it up directly and test it there.  It should at least have analog out for testing purposes.

Apr 23, 2016 at 7:53 AM Post #203 of 440
I purchased the RS 175 about a month ago, and I'm sorry to say I was pretty disappointed.
I previously used, and I still have, the RS 170 and I really liked them. They were getting very worn though and the sound wasn't quite what it used to be, it felt harsher and more fatiguing than before. So I thought I'd buy a new set of wireless headphones. I liked the RS 170, so why not the RS 175?

There are a few things that really bother me:
- The bass can be pretty harsh, and with songs that I haven't had any problem with before it hurts me ears after not that long
- Overall the sound isn't very clear. It's muffled a little bit. Music that used to give me chills down my neck no longer have that effect.
- They are pretty darn tight, not too comfortable. If I enjoyed the sound more I would probably care enough to bend them a bit.

Now here's where I'm not so sure about what's going on:
Like I said, my RS 170 started to not sound so good to me anymore after like 5 years of daily use.
They started to sound a little bit like what I'm complaining about with the RS 175, mainly that the sound felt a little harsh and not as clear as before.

Have I simply damaged my hearing or something?
So I went to some audio stores and listened to some headphones. Sennheiser HD 600, sounded great, no problem for my ears. AKG K240, though not as great as the HD 600, sounded pretty good and my ears had no problem with it. I could perhaps need more time listening to know for sure.

Still, my ears are probably not the problem here?
I suppose I still might just be more sensitive than others though? My girlfriend tried my RS 175 and she didn't have the same issues. She didn't use them for long though.

Then I started thinking that about the same time when I started to not enjoy my RS 170 as much was when I bought a new graphics card. I went from a Nvidia GTX 660 to the GTX 970.
I don't remember any sudden changes though, this is just me thinking back to that time.

I've heard about EMI, but would that really apply in this case? Doesn't the transmitter eliminate that as a possibility, or can it still interfere with the on-board audio?

So... yet another theory:
Is it possible that my on-board soundcard (straight from the motherboard) could have degraded since I bought it a couple years ago?
I've considered buying a new soundcard with an amp, as I'm looking at the AKG K7-series which would need an amp anyway. And yes I know an external DAC/amp is better, but I figured something like the Sound Blaster Z would be worth a try and perhaps it'll help with my RS 175?
It seems unlikely to me but I don't know.

Perhaps you folks have any ideas?

May 10, 2016 at 3:35 PM Post #204 of 440
It seems that the RS 195 went from originally $449.00 to now  $269.00 !!! And keeps dropping. http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00SJ4INFI/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new
I bought them for their selling fact of "helping the hard of hearing".  I would have been smarter to buy the Rs 185 since I don't need or use the fancy tweaking buttons but use them as regularly set headphones.
Maybe Sennheiser should give them to the kids  who are semi-deaf and could use them, they can write them off as charity.

May 16, 2016 at 5:11 AM Post #205 of 440
Alas my folks bought a pair of RS195 from their trip Dubai thinking it would make for an excellent advance bday gift.
Been trying to off load them since I really needed a bluetooth pair to use in the office and on my commute.

I cant comment much on the sound and full range of its features since I havent made much use of it but they do feel
satisfyingly nice when handled and on my noggin.

May 16, 2016 at 10:58 PM Post #206 of 440
I just want to share that we're running a promotion for our fans in US and Canada. Receive up to $100 off our RS Series wireless headphones plus free shipping on select URBANITE, Gaming and MOMENTUM series headphones. 

Click here to view deals: http://en-us.sennheiser.com/dadsgrads

Sennheiser Stay updated on Sennheiser at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/SennheiserUSA https://twitter.com/SennheiserUSA http://www.instagram.com/sennheiser https://sennheiser.com/
May 19, 2016 at 4:35 PM Post #207 of 440
Hi,

What's the latency of the RS 185 with the digital input? Is it less than 5 milliseconds? 10 milliseconds would already be too much for my use case. I'm hoping for less than 5 ms because there is no compression of the signal and no adc/dac overhead. Planning to use it to plug into the digital out of a guitar effects processor.

Thank you

Jun 7, 2016 at 4:41 AM Post #208 of 440
Hello Rosmadi,
I'm not sure where to post this question.
I have Sennheiser Wireless RS 180 and RS 195  which I both love, and would rather have wireless than even the best cabled headphones for free.
I have noticed that Sennheiser is selling the newer wireless Momentum 2 over ear at a much higher price than the RS 195 which is falling in price.
Being a no-nothing , still I have heard that Bluetooth wireless is not as good audio as the RS Kleer Lossless.  Yet the Bluetooth Momentum 2 over ear has the added ability  to move around anywhere.
I was thinking of a wireless gift for someone.  Speaking purely from an audio quality for someone who listens to music , stays in one room and wants wireless, which is better sounding the RS 195 or the Momentum 2 Over Ear ?
Thank You 

Jun 10, 2016 at 2:55 AM Post #209 of 440
  Hello Rosmadi,
I'm not sure where to post this question.
I have Sennheiser Wireless RS 180 and RS 195  which I both love, and would rather have wireless than even the best cabled headphones for free.
I have noticed that Sennheiser is selling the newer wireless Momentum 2 over ear at a much higher price than the RS 195 which is falling in price.
Being a no-nothing , still I have heard that Bluetooth wireless is not as good audio as the RS Kleer Lossless.  Yet the Bluetooth Momentum 2 over ear has the added ability  to move around anywhere.
I was thinking of a wireless gift for someone.  Speaking purely from an audio quality for someone who listens to music , stays in one room and wants wireless, which is better sounding the RS 195 or the Momentum 2 Over Ear ?
Thank You 

Hi AtrafCreez,

Apologies for this late reply. Just got back from my vacation :)

This is a very subjective query as both products are very different. In terms of audio quality, I'd say the RS 195 (not considering the presets) has a flatter midrange and better high frequency while the MOMENTUM 2 has a punchier sound.

For someone who "stays in one room and wants wireless", I'd recommend the RS 195. Personally, I use the RS 185 at home and will only listen to the MOMENTUM 2 on the go. 

Hope this helps! 

Sennheiser Stay updated on Sennheiser at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/SennheiserUSA https://twitter.com/SennheiserUSA http://www.instagram.com/sennheiser https://sennheiser.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back