Sennheiser RS 165, RS 175, RS 185, RS 195 - Impressions thread
Nov 20, 2015 at 3:59 AM Post #151 of 440
Hi
I bought the RS 195 rather than the RS 185  since i thought my hearing might be a bit off and I am now 63.  The RS 195  is the one Sennheiser made for that purpose.  Evidently my hearing is alright and the RS 185 would have been a better sound stage for me and also very much cheaper.
I had before the RS 180.  From reviews it seems that the RS 185 is the best of the not wired Sennheiser brand for normal ears.
Personnaly I would have been better off with the RS 185 but i didn't know it at the time and I live outside the USA where re-selling them even quite new is not an option.

Nov 21, 2015 at 11:56 AM Post #152 of 440
I'm trying to decide whether to get RS 175 or the Sony mdr-hw700ds for movie watching. Since this is a Sennheiser thread I'm not going to ask which is better (I haven't found any comparisons between the two anywhere online) but I would like to ask whether the RS 175 is OK for people wearing glasses or would I experience problems on account of cups not sealing the ears completely. Also, would comfort be an issue? I see that the hardness of the headphones has been mentioned several times here.

Dec 3, 2015 at 3:15 AM Post #154 of 440
  Hi Rosmadi--

Any thoughts on the question of a headphones amp to use with the RS 195?  My main amp doesn't have a headphones jack.

Thanks

Hi harsil,

Apologies for this late reply. Unfortunately, I won't be commenting on third party amps for use with the RS 195. 

As it is, the optical input is already quite normed, and for the analog input the AGC limits the level. We recommend that you connect your RS 195 directly to your audio device using the digital connection. 

Sennheiser Stay updated on Sennheiser at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/SennheiserUSA https://twitter.com/SennheiserUSA http://www.instagram.com/sennheiser https://sennheiser.com/
Dec 15, 2015 at 4:27 AM Post #155 of 440
I bought a couple of rs175 to watch movies and I'm really enjoying the sound.

I have one issue though. I didn't do much testing but like every time interval maybe like every 15-20 seconds I can hear some sound which doesn't belong to the movie track. Not sure how to describe it but you might get it if you try to unplug a headphones, speakers from a live system. It sounds like a crackling sound from a fireplace. It's not continuous sound just a single crack every 15-20s. I also tried connecting rs175 to my PC and I could also hear that sound.

I only used optical connection for TV and PC so far, both sets are affected. Didn't use any amp.

Is this a known issue? Can you give any pointers how to fix that?

Thanks

Dec 19, 2015 at 6:13 AM Post #156 of 440
Looking at getting either the Sennheiser RS 175 or 185 for a hearing impaired adult for TV watching. I understand that the 195 has enhancements for speech and so-forth for the hearing impaired but the 185 reaches the peak of our budget.

I like the velor pads of the 185 and the surround features. I personally like open headsets and in this situation it shouldn't matter but its always a good option to have closed headsets in case you want to watch something while others are trying to get some rest. I'm not sure if a closed back design is better for the hearing impaired?

For my needs, an adult with hearing loss that wants to watch TV. Which of the two should I go for? The 175 or 185? I'm thinking the 175 might be better due to being closed but I do like the added features and comfort of the 185. Then again if comfort is key, I might be looking at the 180's as they don't feel like a vice.

Also this person's primary TV is the 2014 model Vizio M492i-B2 if that matters. No AV receiver.

Dec 19, 2015 at 12:38 PM Post #157 of 440
I read in earlier posts that a couple of people have replaced the closed type earpads of the RS175s with the more open ones of the RS185s.  If anybody reading this can relate their experiences with the switch I would greatly appreciate it.  I've done my best to try to get used to it but the clampy and clammy feel of the RS175 earpads is just too much for me to take.  My old floppy RS120s are much more comfortable 

Dec 20, 2015 at 6:52 AM Post #158 of 440
Hi
I have both the RS 180 and the RS 195.
I thought that all the fancy buttons on the RS 195 would make listening to films as well as music finer but as far as I'm concerned I wasted a lot of money for nothing. I haven't hard the RS175 and RS 185 but it seems to me that they are better .

Dec 21, 2015 at 2:11 AM Post #159 of 440
I  have the Sennheiser RS 180 and RS 195.  "Comfort" is relative to each person.
confused_face.gif
 I also have glasses and never feel any pressure from the glasses stems by the ear ,though years ago I had Sennheiser Pro 380 and they pinched a lot.
triportsad.gif
.......(progress).... . I wear the headphones for 12-15 hours at  a time and no problem with comfort.......even when I lay down on my Bed of Nails
frown.gif
or walk on coals,
angry_face.gif
I enjoy the comfort of these 2 headphones.
L3000.gif
Very small joke.
darthsmile.gif

Dec 21, 2015 at 12:49 PM Post #160 of 440
  I  have the Sennheiser RS 180 and RS 195.  "Comfort" is relative to each person.
confused_face.gif
 I also have glasses and never feel any pressure from the glasses stems by the ear ,though years ago I had Sennheiser Pro 380 and they pinched a lot.
triportsad.gif
.......(progress).... . I wear the headphones for 12-15 hours at  a time and no problem with comfort.......even when I lay down on my Bed of Nails
frown.gif
or walk on coals,
angry_face.gif
I enjoy the comfort of these 2 headphones.
L3000.gif
Very small joke.
darthsmile.gif

Thank you for your thoughts.  As you state comfort is relative to each user but I've given it a good shot and there's no way I'm going to feel comfortable with the RS175 ear cups so I think at this point I'm inclined to return them while I still can.  Too bad as I got them for less than $200 over Thanksgiving weekend.  Maybe I'll try a used or new pair of RS180s and meanwhile make do with my RS120s.

Dec 22, 2015 at 5:33 AM Post #161 of 440
  Thank you for your thoughts.  As you state comfort is relative to each user but I've given it a good shot and there's no way I'm going to feel comfortable with the RS175 ear cups so I think at this point I'm inclined to return them while I still can.  Too bad as I got them for less than $200 over Thanksgiving weekend.  Maybe I'll try a used or new pair of RS180s and meanwhile make do with my RS120s.

The RS180 and RS185 will be a lot less clammy because they are open back. I think the older generation clamped a lot less too. It might be hard to get one now (and expensive) but if you can get an RS220 they will easily be the most comfortable of all the RS series headphones. Larger ear cups and pretty much no clamping unless you adjust the headband too tight. I tried all the older RS series headphones and they were the only ones I could use comfortably.

Dec 22, 2015 at 2:55 PM Post #162 of 440
Oh yeah,  "Earcups".  RS 195 for example has the synthetic leather like foam cups.  RS 195  is made for the people who listen to music and watch tv or films and want to be quiet but has tweaks (not so good)for those who as i did blasted music in 1965-1975. You know who, the 60-75 year olds like me.
The nose and ears never stop growing, so you would think that for the money spent Sennheiser could make 2 or 3 sizes of earcups and add them in.

On Allied Express or Amazon the Sennheiser replacement earpads are like $29 and the generic ones are $0.99-$6.50.
My ears barely fit in the ear pads.  The RS 180 has velour and they are a bit larger.

I ordered a number of generic replacements.  It's not rocket science.
Whatever headphones you buy for whatever price, each has it's own weakness and downfall regardless.
My theory about High-End Audio Headphone Fidelty  : when you might spend $700 on headphones and a $3000.00 amp is just The Infinite One's way of making a joke on us. "Go ahead, rack your brains, compare models and throw out some Big Bucks"
deadhorse.gif

Dec 22, 2015 at 4:40 PM Post #163 of 440
I wrote Sennheiser support USA about the use of Dolby or such to add effects and here was their reply :
"Good Morning ,

Thank you for contacting the Sennheiser Technical Support Team. All of our Wireless Headphone Systems (including the RS 180 and RS 195) are stereo headphone systems and hence they are designed to accept a stereo audio signal. If you fed a Dolby 5.1 Surround Sound signal to the headphones they would not function correctly because they cannot interpret the multiple channels of audio.

The RS 170 and RS 175 offer the simulated Surround Sound feature whereby they take the stereo signal and make it a simulated Surround Sound signal.

Assuming all audio signals and connections are of equal quality there is no audio signal benefit of connecting to a receiver versus connecting to a computer or to a TV.

Please don't hesitate to reach out with any follow up questions.

Have a great day.

Lachlan Brennan

#TS100068106
Sennheiser USA Tech Support
Thank you,
Sennheiser Support Team

Dec 26, 2015 at 5:07 PM Post #164 of 440
I am new here but reading a lot of helpful information from you guys. Thanks for sharing.

I am still making decision between RS185 + HDR 175 or RS175 + HDR185, my understanding below:

Q1: RS185 + HDR 175: 175 will loose Virtual surrounding + Bass boost, but how badly it will effect the sound quality? This might suit my family cause I want to have high quality music and sometimes watch movie at night without disturbing others. ear-pad comfortable level might another thing I am thinking about this combination.

Q2: RS175 + HDR185: most people recommend this smarter setup, cause it will only loose 185 Manual Level Control (MLC), would like to hear someone's real personal experiences how this MLC is important for 185 or it just the level of volume control only?

Thanks in advance for helping answer above. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back