Sennheiser PX200-II - any opinions on these?
Jun 29, 2011 at 4:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

titaniumx3

500+ Head-Fier
I'm looking for some closed and isolating portable headphones, something that is the same form factor and similiar sounding to the PX100, but which isolates fairly well and more importantly, does not leak sound to the outside.

The PX200-II seem to be the perfect match, but I didn't like the sound of the original PX200, which in my opinion had little or no bass and an annoying upper midrange harshness. I've heard that the PX200-II improve on their predecessor and honestly, I welcome more accurate bass and better clarity (compared to the PX100), but not so much that it takes all the fun out of the music.

I would really appreciate some opinions on this from anyone with experience with the PX200-II. Also any better alternatives at this price point would be welcome (but they must be portable, closed and isolating).

Thank you!

Jun 29, 2011 at 4:46 PM Post #2 of 17
The one I'm currently interested in is worth researching, the Audio-technica ES55. I've had the PX200-II and while a much better version than the 200, it is mid-forward with a bit of roll-off on both ends. The ES55 is known to have more balance and good clarity and a nice open stage. The PX200-II has a nice open stage, good isolation, and accurate bass but, for me, needed some EQ  in order to bring out some detail and clarity. I found the Senn to be fun(I do like forward mids) and the ES55 are also said to be a fun phone.

There are some other differences, like single entry vs. dual and the Senn has a VC and a particular way of folding up.

Jun 29, 2011 at 11:45 PM Post #4 of 17

Quote:
I had a pair. Sounded pale, flat, not much bass, not much treble, actually not much mids either. Just pale and flat. "Extremely diluted apple juice" would be the sound.

I think you mean 'water'?

Jun 30, 2011 at 5:03 AM Post #6 of 17
I have many earphones/headphones and I love the PX-200II ALOT! I think it is very good.

Jun 30, 2011 at 11:05 AM Post #8 of 17
Jun 30, 2011 at 5:39 PM Post #9 of 17
Jun 30, 2011 at 8:47 PM Post #11 of 17

Quote:
For Movies? definitely forget it. At the same price point there are other better options like the K81/K518

Quote:
Or the very excellent (for what it is) HD215.

Remember, however, that part of the px200-ii's appeal lies with its ultra-portability. You can literally fold it up and stick it into a trouser pocket. The above headphones are all much larger and require a dedicated bag/case for traveling. So they're targeted at different demographics. Think about what your needs and listening habits are, and choose accordingly.

Jun 30, 2011 at 9:05 PM Post #12 of 17
I judge that "most watching movies" would require much sitting-down. Of course, OP, unless you displace your portable computer a lot. In which case a more compact phone would indeed be better.

Jul 2, 2011 at 10:44 PM Post #13 of 17
For me, I feel that if you want a cleaner & more accurate bass, the 200s beats the 100s. But sometimes, I wish the 200s could have more & deeper bass. Even though I enjoy the 100s bass over the 200s, I do appreciate the 200s accuracy, cleanliness, and it (at least for my ears) doesn't have the typical dark Senn sound. Owning both of them, the 100 sounds muddy/bloated compared to the 200

And like JxK said, the main appeal of them is portability. And they are pretty tough too. I've always been pretty rough on my headphones and dropped them on concrete quite a number of times, they are still working fine.

Jul 3, 2011 at 9:01 AM Post #14 of 17
PX200-II have poor isolation, they isolate a little more than PX100-II, but they still leak sound. It's a semi-closed form factor. Not to mention they're worse SQ-wise than PX100-II in most people opinions. PX200-II are more natural balanced sounding headphones, lacking bass, and much less fun than PX100-II.

Jul 3, 2011 at 10:17 AM Post #15 of 17
Wana consider the new bigger brother of the PX series? The PX-360.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back