Sennheiser MX500 Users - Foam covers, naked, other?
Nov 15, 2004 at 3:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

sygyzy

1000+ Head-Fier
My MX500's are getting more use since I got an iPod. Problem is one of the styrofoam covers constantly falls off and today I lost it completely at the barber. Doh!

Does anyone know where I can get replacements (besides Senn, I already emailed them)? Perhaps Radio Shack? Got a part number?

Also, was curious if anyone used earbuds (MX500's or others) without the foam covers?

Nov 15, 2004 at 3:41 AM Post #2 of 14
Ratshack are the best. Much thicker and enhence bass because it fit more snug agains my ears, and stay on solid. Best cheap tweak I'v done only $2 in the US.

Here a picture of it from an Old tread Picture by ja17735 check First Page for comment by MD1032
1.jpg

Nov 15, 2004 at 3:48 AM Post #3 of 14
Naked.

I used to use them with, and didn't know how I'd keep them in my ears without the pads there... but I also had no idea how I'd get buds to work period.

They kept falling off. It became a nuisance. Especially if the buds went in my pocket instead of just hanging out of my shirt(I ran them up my shirt to my ears).. they'd GUARANTEED come off if I took them out of my pocket. Pads on buds = evil.

Nov 15, 2004 at 4:19 AM Post #4 of 14
I can't get the MX500 to stay in my ears with or without the pads, so I just go without the pads. I rarely use them on the move though. I can only use them when stationary and usually when lying down.

Nov 15, 2004 at 4:28 AM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thisp
Naked.

I used to use them with, and didn't know how I'd keep them in my ears without the pads there... but I also had no idea how I'd get buds to work period.

They kept falling off. It became a nuisance. Especially if the buds went in my pocket instead of just hanging out of my shirt(I ran them up my shirt to my ears).. they'd GUARANTEED come off if I took them out of my pocket. Pads on buds = evil.

I have some CM5's and i use an empty Altoids can for my carry case.

Nov 15, 2004 at 4:44 AM Post #6 of 14
I have to wear them naked. For whatever reason, when the foam is on they just slide right out of my ear way too easily.

Nov 15, 2004 at 5:32 AM Post #8 of 14
I echo the Ratshack recommendation as it does enhance bass noticeably; but keeping them affixed to the Senns is a chore. Buy a couple of packs of the foamies, should last a couple months.

Nov 15, 2004 at 5:41 AM Post #9 of 14
I use them with the foamies. It's interesting to me that some people go without. In my ears, they slide around much too easily without the foamies and they have almost zero bass that way. The foamies seem to couple them to my ears, enhancing fit and sound by a truly great margin. It'd be interesting to hear from those who go without foamies on a few things. Do you have large or small ears? It could be that they slide out or don't sound good in big ears as it seems logical the fit would be more loose - perhaps without the foamies you're able to shove them way way down in, solving the fit and sound problems. Then again, I suppose people with smaller than average ears may not be able to get them in as far as people with average sized ears, with the foamies on, causing these same problems.

Nov 15, 2004 at 6:12 AM Post #10 of 14
Naked hurts my ears, and the stock ones always slipped off and got lost long ago. The RS foamies actually make for a better fit for me, and I think they sound a teesny bit better than the stocks too. The foam is a different texture, which i guess really does make a difference.

Nov 15, 2004 at 6:33 AM Post #11 of 14
i use them with the foamies... have a pair of MX550's i got for $20 something dollars at circuit city, not bad for the money... maybe im just spoiled with all these good cans
smily_headphones1.gif
... i just use them for TV (its quite literally impossible to wear K1k's while laying on your side lol)

Nov 15, 2004 at 6:47 AM Post #12 of 14
Thanks for the replies everyone. Is everyone that is using replacement pads, using the Radio Shack ones?

I am surprised so many people use it nude. It feels too strange to me!

Nov 15, 2004 at 1:33 PM Post #14 of 14
I'm running MX400s with Soundlab foamies I bought in the UK from maplin - got 3 sets for under £2 (Red, Black and Yellow - i use the yellows, giving an old school Senn feel)

These are great cos they are nice and thick (so quite hard to get on too) - the thickness improves the fit no end, and from my experience on the London tube add a little isolation too.

Better bass for sure and male vocals sound much better i've noticed

Great mod for no money!

M-X

Users who are viewing this thread

Back