Sennheiser Momentum (On ear vs Over ear) Help
Apr 13, 2014 at 5:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Icecream500

New Head-Fier
I am currently looking at the on ear and over ear versions of the Sennheiser Momentum but cannot decide between the two models. I suppose the over ears are superior in SQ due to their price, but from what I've read the on ears are more bass heavy with recessed mids as opposed to the over ears which have a more accurate sound (not sure if this is correct?). 

I listen to mainly alternative and rock (Interpol, The National, The Chameleons, Foals, Nick Cave etc) and was wondering which of the two would be better suited? I'm not sure of the importance of bass in this music so cannot decide. 

These are the two deals I have found on Ebay (although not sure if genuine????)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-Sennheiser-Momentum-Black-On-Ear-Headphones-for-Apple-iPod-iPhone-iPad-/111324268032?pt=UK_AudioVisualElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Headphones&hash=item19eb718600

and 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BRAND-NEW-Sennheiser-Momentum-Black-Headphones-Apple-Compatable-2-Yr-Warranty-/291122836389?pt=UK_AudioVisualElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Headphones&hash=item43c845f3a5

Any help on which would be better suited would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

Apr 14, 2014 at 9:39 AM Post #2 of 9
  I am currently looking at the on ear and over ear versions of the Sennheiser Momentum but cannot decide between the two models. I suppose the over ears are superior in SQ due to their price, but from what I've read the on ears are more bass heavy with recessed mids as opposed to the over ears which have a more accurate sound (not sure if this is correct?). 

Correct

I listen to mainly alternative and rock (Interpol, The National, The Chameleons, Foals, Nick Cave etc) and was wondering which of the two would be better suited? I'm not sure of the importance of bass in this music so cannot decide. 

Over-ear model would be better suited to these genres.

Good luck finding a cheap one on ebay. That one seems legit.

Apr 21, 2014 at 3:58 AM Post #4 of 9
I really recommend the Momentum over-ears too. The SQ on over-ears is clear improvement compared to on-ears, and they are a lot more comfortable. I paid 240€ for my pair and they are definitely worth their price.
If you don't need closed-back headphones, HD 598's sound great on rock/alternative, and they are cheaper and more comfortable than Momentums.

Apr 23, 2014 at 1:14 AM Post #5 of 9
I have the over ear and loved the experience, just be careful that they are closed but you can still hear some background noise if commuting. 

I live in Sydney and when on the train and bus I still alot of the noise coming from them.

Apr 23, 2014 at 2:12 AM Post #6 of 9
We have similar taste in music. I auditioned both the Momentum and the M-100 and bought the V-Moda. YMMV.

Apr 23, 2014 at 4:22 PM Post #7 of 9
  Alright thanks a lot. Seems like I'm going to struggle to find them for £150 though :wink: Any other recommendations for this music style that are a little cheaper? ATH-M50 maybe?

I think £150 is pushing it, but there are deals to be had :wink:

I just bought some in Brown about 10 days ago for €213 from Amazon.de, that's £175 of her majesty's british pounds, so not that far out of your budget, and slightly cheaper than the £260 Amazon UK wanted! I see the price is now €239 on Amazon.de which is bout £195, so you may want to watch the price (try camelcamelcamel.com for Amazon tracking) to see if it comes back down, the Black were even cheaper at €210 at the time but now also €239. Expect to pay around €5-6 shipping, came 3-4 days later with royal mail - suspect some Amazon magic.

If you happen to be flying anywhere Dixons at the airport sell the full size for £230 with £10 off that at the moment, and the on-ears for £130 with £10 off at the moment, so that's not a bad deal either.

I am still exploring mine, but I find they are excellent so far - just using an iPod currently waiting for an odac and o2 amp to arrive for my main PC. Not got too many hours along yet, but The Who Live in Leeds the other night was superb - can't see you having any complaints if you can find a good deal.

May 22, 2014 at 8:01 AM Post #8 of 9
Are there any "critical" reviews on the comparison of the Momentum "on ear" vs. "over the ear"?
I know the bass for the "on ear" is stronger. But what about clearness of midrange, transparency, details, soundstage, where does each midrange stand (forward, slightly recessed, etc.). Are any of these veiled?

I don't mind weaker or stronger bass, as bass can be equed.

May 22, 2014 at 10:38 AM Post #9 of 9
  Are there any "critical" reviews on the comparison of the Momentum "on ear" vs. "over the ear"?
I know the bass for the "on ear" is stronger. But what about clearness of midrange, transparency, details, soundstage, where does each midrange stand (forward, slightly recessed, etc.). Are any of these veiled?

I don't mind weaker or stronger bass, as bass can be equed.

I was able to briefly compare my over-ear momentum to an on-ears in a shop, so don't take my word as 'rule':

Overall clarity, midrange, soundstage etc is better on the over-ears. 
I find the On-ears can sound a little veiled depending on the source/amp.

On my PA2V2, the over-ears sounds fast and treble communicates through very nicely.
On my FiiO E17, the over-ears can sound veiled and smoother, and treble is clearly lacking in moments, but the speed and resolution isn't lost.
EQ'ing a touch more treble on the E17 isn't a problem though.

No idea how the on-ears sounds on different sources, as I only had a PA2V2 back then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back