Sennheiser Momentum impressions thread
Jan 8, 2015 at 5:24 AM Post #691 of 931
guys what to do what to do I just saw that the momentum has got bigger ear cups and the only reason I didn't buy the momentum was only for the ear cups are so small but I have also looked at the HD700 so now I don't know what to do should I wait for the new momentums or should I just buy HD700

Open vs closed is a big difference. Also potable vs home plug. Answer those questions and you should have your answer.

Jan 8, 2015 at 5:42 AM Post #693 of 931
Open vs closed is a big difference. Also potable vs home plug. Answer those questions and you should have your answer.

Even if I'm by the momentum I am not going to use them outside

yeah, i chose the momentum coz its portable and its weightless. and when we using it outside it's not like we're wearing some big tires truck on your neck :D. its elegance + awesome SQ

Jan 8, 2015 at 2:52 PM Post #699 of 931
I love the sound and comfort of my Sony MDR-1A. However I miss the treble clarity / details and tight bass beats. This new Mometum should check those boxes nicely for me while still being fairly comfortable. But for wireless Sony has that new Bluetooth codec that sends a higher bitrate. So I'm most likely buying both, wired for the Momentums and wireless for the MDR-1ABT.

Jan 9, 2015 at 2:06 AM Post #702 of 931
Hi guys, I'm new to this sort of thing... but I've heard that higher impedance is bad for portable devices like smartphones (windows phones, iphones, etc) because it only gives off low volumes even when you tune in at the highest volumes your device can go into?

And I was also planning to buy the wireless momentums (M2, over-ear) because of the bigger ear cups and presumably better sound quality, until I stumbled into this: 

SPECS FOR M2 WIRELESS OVER-EAR:

1. IMPEDANCE​
    passive: 28 Ω (Article No. 506381)
  2. IMPEDANCE
    active: 480 Ω (Article No. 506381)

Passive: 28 ohms; Active: 480 ohms.

I was wondering if it's worth the buy if my only sources are my iPod nano 5th generation and my windows phone (nokia lumia 520)? Will the volume be super low if I use these headphones with my current sources? And what's the difference between passive and active? I've done my "googling" but I had a hard time understanding. Thank you very much. ^_^

Jan 9, 2015 at 3:44 AM Post #703 of 931
  Hi guys, I'm new to this sort of thing... but I've heard that higher impedance is bad for portable devices like smartphones (windows phones, iphones, etc) because it only gives off low volumes even when you tune in at the highest volumes your device can go into?

And I was also planning to buy the wireless momentums (M2, over-ear) because of the bigger ear cups and presumably better sound quality, until I stumbled into this: 

SPECS FOR M2 WIRELESS OVER-EAR:

1. IMPEDANCE​
    passive: 28 Ω (Article No. 506381)
  2. IMPEDANCE

I was wondering if it's worth the buy if my only sources are my iPod nano 5th generation and my windows phone (nokia lumia 520)? Will the volume be super low if I use these headphones with my current sources? And what's the difference between passive and active? I've done my "googling" but I had a hard time understanding. Thank you very much. ^_^

Hi iGiveburgersTLC,

Passive mode - When you use the headphones with the audio cable (wired)
Active mode - When you want to listen wirelessly via Bluetooth (wireless)

Sennheiser Stay updated on Sennheiser at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/SennheiserUSA https://twitter.com/SennheiserUSA http://www.instagram.com/sennheiser https://sennheiser.com/
Jan 9, 2015 at 5:37 AM Post #704 of 931

1. IMPEDANCE

Impedance is usually the higher the better (with in reason) for active inputs, so 480Ω is not a problem if that was your concern, the output is feeding an amp not driving the phones directly.

The voltage sensitivity is more important overall than impedance for getting the volume level you require, e.g. HD650 (300Ω ) need less voltage than Q701 (60Ω ) so are easier to drive to a particular sound level.

edit: original Momentum (22Ω ) are sensitive (15 times more than Q701)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back