Sennheiser Momentum impressions thread
May 1, 2014 at 8:19 AM Post #406 of 931
The HD 25-Ii cable works with the HD 600/650

They do work as they share the same connectors, but it must be remembered that HD25 cables are of uneven length on each side due to how cable is routed to a single side, so it wouldn't really work well without recabling on HD600/650.

May 1, 2014 at 6:37 PM Post #408 of 931
I love my Momentums. Everything about them. I actually managed to damage them, somehow. The left channel is out, and I'm not sure what to do about it. Any ideas?

Any ideas? I would hate to pony up for a new cable if it turns out that the cable is not the issue. Working on a student budget, here.

I am currently using them with a Rockboxed Sansa Clip+ with 32GB microSD. Would love to upgrade this, more storage capacity would be nice, I've got 100+ gigs of high-quality audio.

Any advice on the Momentums with left channel out? Also, any good candidates for a PAP, preferably something that doesn't require an amp?

May 1, 2014 at 7:01 PM Post #409 of 931
Contact Sennheiser and explain your situation.

May 2, 2014 at 3:05 AM Post #410 of 931
Sennheiser Stay updated on Sennheiser at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/SennheiserUSA https://twitter.com/SennheiserUSA http://www.instagram.com/sennheiser https://sennheiser.com/
May 7, 2014 at 1:34 AM Post #411 of 931
How much of a drop in sound quality would there be if I went from my current setup (Little Dot DAC_I -> Schiit Vali -> HD600) to the Momentum over-ear with no DAC or amp, using only either my laptop or Sansa Clip Zip?  I am thinking about doing this because I could get back a lot of the money I spent while saving for a better system.  Any opinions are appreciated.

May 7, 2014 at 1:42 AM Post #412 of 931
  How much of a drop in sound quality would there be if I went from my current setup (Little Dot DAC_I -> Schiit Vali -> HD600) to the Momentum over-ear with no DAC or amp, using only either my laptop or Sansa Clip Zip?  I am thinking about doing this because I could get back a lot of the money I spent while saving for a better system.  Any opinions are appreciated.

I would say it drops by 12, maybe 11.5 AEP (Audiophile Enjoyment Points).

Cheers,
K

P.S.: sorry couldn't help it :wink: 

May 7, 2014 at 1:50 AM Post #413 of 931

I would say it drops by 12, maybe 11.5 AEP (Audiophile Enjoyment Points).

Cheers,
K

P.S.: sorry couldn't help it :wink: 

Lol - you should lead a movement to make AEP a real thing on Head-Fi.  I know this is a really subjective question, and that it is very difficult to quantify something like this, but I am interested in any opinions regarding my specific setup.  From what I have gathered, the Momentum has a similar sound signature, but with more bass.  I am fine with this, since I like the HD 600's sound signature.  However, I don't want to be overwhelmed with bass.  Obviously, the soundstage will be smaller on the Momentum.  This is not a huge deal to me necessarily, as I mostly listen to rock music.  Any thoughts?

May 7, 2014 at 2:00 AM Post #414 of 931
  Lol - you should lead a movement to make AEP a real thing on Head-Fi.  I know this is a really subjective question, and that it is very difficult to quantify something like this, but I am interested in any opinions regarding my specific setup.  From what I have gathered, the Momentum has a similar sound signature, but with more bass.  I am fine with this, since I like the HD 600's sound signature.  However, I don't want to be overwhelmed with bass.  Obviously, the soundstage will be smaller on the Momentum.  This is not a huge deal to me necessarily, as I mostly listen to rock music.  Any thoughts?

Haha, thanks!

Ok, I don't have the HD600 but the HD598 and the Momentum - Now the 598 is not in the same leagues the 600 and has a different signature so I will concentrate on the Momentum:

It's amazing how easy this headphone is to drive. I believe the Sansa has quite strong output, so it's easypeasy to drive the Momentum. If your laptop provides a clean output then you are good. 

Scarily, given how much money I poured into amps/dacs etc. I think with the Momentum it's actually VERY decent just to run it out of a good player, laptop out.

If you think of having this temporary until you saved up for something really big, I would say: go for it, it's definitively a very capable setup I could live for a few months for sure.

Cheers,
K

May 7, 2014 at 2:06 AM Post #415 of 931

Haha, thanks!

Ok, I don't have the HD600 but the HD598 and the Momentum - Now the 598 is not in the same leagues the 600 and has a different signature so I will concentrate on the Momentum:

It's amazing how easy this headphone is to drive. I believe the Sansa has quite strong output, so it's easypeasy to drive the Momentum. If your laptop provides a clean output then you are good. 

Scarily, given how much money I poured into amps/dacs etc. I think with the Momentum it's actually VERY decent just to run it out of a good player, laptop out.

If you think of having this temporary until you saved up for something really big, I would say: go for it, it's definitively a very capable setup I could live for a few months for sure.

Cheers,
K

This is a helpful response, and it is along the lines of what I am thinking.  However, I should mention that it would be more like a few years than a few months (I am a first year dental student) before I would upgrade (in theory).

May 7, 2014 at 2:27 AM Post #416 of 931
Well, it's certainly a more versatile setup since, the Momentum is also portable, can be used in libraries while studying (all the best for your studies!!) and you certainly can use them for a few years. And I believe in a year or two we will see a plethora of mobile headphone amps/dacs under $100 that are decent coming out. So, you probably should be able to upgrade your setup in between a bit as well. You will be fine with that setup for sure. 

Cheers,
K

May 7, 2014 at 3:17 AM Post #417 of 931

I have Momentum and HD 650, and I'd say that's a noticeable step down. Momentum is amazing, and sounds great on its own, but the HD 6x0 are something else.
If you don't absolutely need the portability or the extra money, I say stick with what you have.

May 7, 2014 at 4:15 AM Post #418 of 931
I have Momentum and HD 650, and I'd say that's a noticeable step down. Momentum is amazing, and sounds great on its own, but the HD 6x0 are something else.
If you don't absolutely need the portability or the extra money, I say stick with what you have.

Hmm, a very fair point as well - yet to hear a HD600/650 properly. 

May 7, 2014 at 4:59 AM Post #419 of 931
I also have to add that since you've had "the taste" of something better, the downgrade might sting more. For someone thinking about quality cans without having to think about dacs and amps, Momentum over-ear would be a fantastic choice.
Momentums are also fun complimentary cans for out-and-about use.

May 13, 2014 at 5:10 AM Post #420 of 931
I noticed a really nice set of headphones at my local JB Hifi a few months ago.
First thing that got me was all the brown leather and the stainless. They were a class above all the other TDKs and Beats on display.
I picked them up and felt the leather - soooooooo soft and luxurious.
I tried them on and my ears fit right in them without issue and the clamp pressure was just right.

I got the store to put on some random cd which turned out to be Bag Raiders, and the first song was Snake Charmer.
Oh my...
I loved them!
They just sounded so natural and everything was 'right'.
Price before asking for any discount was AU$399

I left the shop without buying them as I don't buy on impulse but my birthday is coming up so if anyone asks for ideas...
I'm about to jump on some Dita Answer IEMs for work and travelling and I'd really like a full size can for home to drive out of my Burson modded Sony ES cd player.
Only a short listen but it got me hooked.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back