Sennheiser Momentum cheaper alternative
Dec 16, 2013 at 2:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

andrewfd

New Head-Fier
Did my first real world test, after a fair amount of online research, for my first pair of decent over ear headphones. I took my iPhone 4 loaded with a test track in Apple Lossless very familiar to me. It's a classical piece with huge dynamic range (loud to quiet and bass to treble). For those interested it's the George Solti, Chicago Symphony Orcehstra 1999 version of Pictures At An Exhibition - 10. The Hut On Fowls' Legs.

I went to a department store in London (Selfridges) where (a) there is a huge amount of background noise from competing sound equipment and (b) the headphones must be running through an unseen amp.

I went round almost every pair of over ear headphone they had and automatically dismissed virtually all of them on two initial grounds: either (a) over prominent mid frequencies, almost barking into my ears or (b) soggy bass which might be fine for the thud thud of pop music, but rubbish for classical.

I was left with 4 headphones that had reasonably balanced sound, good detail and some decent stereo spacing. In order of preference:

1) Sennheiser Momentum Over ears
Joint 2) Monster N-Pulse Black and Bose AE2i
3) Sony MDR-XB800

Given that the Sony's can be had on Amazon for £92 they do extremely well on the Value for Money front.

However, the Momentum's just got everything right too too well. The sound staging was excellent with orchestra feeling right there. There is a section in the piece which is quiet and the sound engineers left in all the breathing and page turning of the musicians. All these headphones could pick that up, but the Momentums did it best by a long way. They also coped best with the shrill mid tones of the brass (loud if you know this piece) and the thunderous timpani and double bass, which the others over did a touch (probably playing to the dubstep bass head audience).

So my issue is this. Are there any headphones that will please me in the same way as the Momentums without spending £230?

Suggestions welcome, but I also need to be able to audition them in London.

Dec 18, 2013 at 1:49 AM Post #2 of 7
The Momentums are really good, clear well-balanced headphones with a hint of bass boost. 230 pounds are a solid price for em (that's $360 USD right?). If razer dog audio ships to you, you can get em for a cool $300 USD. that is probably the best deal you'll find for em.
(http://www.razordogaudio.com)

For sound quality on par to the Momentums, you'll be looking to drop at least $300 usd. I haven't tried the new $300 headphones that are supposed to compete w/ em though, so I can't say.

Some cheaper alternatives w/ comparable but slightly different sound include the AKG K550 for $220ish, AKG K545 ($200 on sale), Sony MDR-1R can be found sub-$200 and Logitech UE6000 can be found sub-$100. I've compared the MDR-1R & AKG K550 directly w/ the Momentum and the sound quality is comparable, though sound sig is different. hard to say if you'll appreciate the differences unless you demo

Dec 18, 2013 at 5:20 AM Post #3 of 7
Thanks for the alternative ideas.

I will try to find somewhere to listen to them in London.

A

Dec 18, 2013 at 5:47 AM Post #4 of 7
The MDR 1Rs sound quite different to the Momentum (I bought the MDR 1R with my Xperia Z). The suite anything with a lot of treble. A few problems I have:

Build quality. It's okay.
Comfort - not a lot of space between the padding and my ears, so after an hour they begin to rub. I have quite big ears though. The over ear momentums are more like on ear for me :p

Don't take this the wrong way - the Sony cans sound quite beautiful, and improve dramatically when driven well from past experience. A 30 quid amplifier would be a good investment. Something from Fiio would easily do the job.

They're not for my type of music though (house and garage), although I do have a few classical and vocal tracks where they shine.

Dec 18, 2013 at 6:05 AM Post #5 of 7
  The MDR 1Rs sound quite different to the Momentum (I bought the MDR 1R with my Xperia Z). The suite anything with a lot of treble. A few problems I have:

Build quality. It's okay.
Comfort - not a lot of space between the padding and my ears, so after an hour they begin to rub. I have quite big ears though. The over ear momentums are more like on ear for me :p

Don't take this the wrong way - the Sony cans sound quite beautiful, and improve dramatically when driven well from past experience. A 30 quid amplifier would be a good investment. Something from Fiio would easily do the job.

They're not for my type of music though (house and garage), although I do have a few classical and vocal tracks where they shine.

yea, the MDR-1R does have a different SQ (mid-centric warm rich lush sound w/ midbass boost) than the momentums & I think the momentum had better clarity, more neutral sound w/ a slight bass boost (from my memory tho)

MDR-1R are the most comfy headphones you can get tho. the earcups are giant, driver slanted. only portable closed over ear w/ larger earcups are the AKG K550. Momentum earcups are def on-ear even in the over-ear version. I have small ears & I found the Momentum earcups uncomfy after prolonged use. Build quality momentum def wins w/ real leather & stainless steel vs MDR-1R plastic.

Feb 18, 2014 at 8:25 PM Post #6 of 7
Sorry for using the topic....

Guys help me out please....

I have a pair of over ear momentums, i absolutely love the resolution and the sound signature on them.... Only problem is that they are not confortable at all because of the small pads.... :'(

So any suggestions for a heaphone that has the same sound quality and signature as the momentums? I am using them mostly at home so open is also an option.... Budget between 200 and 250 euros.

Help me out here please guys...

Cheers....

Feb 19, 2014 at 12:53 AM Post #7 of 7
Sorry for using the topic....

Guys help me out please....

I have a pair of over ear momentums, i absolutely love the resolution and the sound signature on them.... Only problem is that they are not confortable at all because of the small pads.... :'(

So any suggestions for a heaphone that has the same sound quality and signature as the momentums? I am using them mostly at home so open is also an option.... Budget between 200 and 250 euros.

Help me out here please guys...

Cheers....

NAD Viso Hp50?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back