Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 Over ear review
May 6, 2016 at 12:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

potterpastor

100+ Head-Fier
Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 over ear
I like the soft leather ear cups that cover over my ears, the portable fold up design, and I like the detachable cable. But I do wish the detachable cable was made a little bit better, like with the original Momentum. The cable on the 2.0 tangles and twists more easily.

I like the carrying case, but when traveling, I find it easier to just fold them up and put him in the lower part of my suitcase without the case.

They only give you one cable with the Momentum 2.0, whether you buy the Samsung version or the Apple version. You'll still be able use the headphone with any smartphone matter which one you buy, but you can skip tracks on your phone if you buy the right version.

The sound quality is similar to the original Momentum, but bigger and more forward. The rich, warm bass digs down deep, it's phenomenal. I love the bass on this headphone, even more than on the original Momentum. The treble is about the same as the original Momentum, slightly pulled down so that the music is easy on the ears for long listening sessions, no shrieking, piercing treble.

The midrange is a little more forward and shouty than what I normally prefer. The original Momentum had a beautifully balanced natural sounding midrange, this one is a bit more "in your face." You won't want to play the volume on the Momentum 2.0 much higher than 60%-70% because at higher volumes, the vocals and guitars on more midcentric songs can be a little fatiguing.

The acoustics on the 2.0 are phenomenal. The overall total signature is rich, warm, smooth, with a touch of brightness. If the midrange could be dialed back a bit, I'd this headphone five stars. It's not as clear as something like the Oppo PM-3 and certainly not as clear as the absolutely brilliant open back Hifiman HE400S. But it has a pleasing, luscious sound that will have you tapping your feet, as long as you don't have it up too loud.

As a result, I would say that while the Momentum 2.0 sounds bigger and punchier and more dynamic than the original Momentum, it also sounds a little more forward and fatiguing in the midrange. The original Sennheiser Momentum, while not quite as comfortable, had a more natural and balanced sound that I could listen to for longer sessions.

There is a sense of space and soundstage on these headphones, more so than for many other sealed, closed back headphones.

So I will give the Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 over ear 4 stars. The original one would probably get 4 1/2. But both headphones are excellent, don't get me wrong. I'm just doing my best to try to explain how they sound to my ears.

The Momentum 2.0 sounds a lot like the Sony MDR-1A, but the Sony headphone had a more natural mid range also.

I also would want to encourage people to get the original Momentum before it disappears completely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back