Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 or M2 Wired
Nov 21, 2015 at 5:40 PM Post #181 of 221
  Hi, I'm on my third pair of M2's. I've bought two previous pairs and returned them due to the fact that the right side has clearly been louder than the left. My newest pair is no different. I have checked the output of my iPhone, as well as my MacBook, and I've checked the balance in my accessibility settings and preferences to make sure the sound is centered. I have even flipped the phones around to see if the left ear becomes louder, which is certainly does. Is ANYBODY else having this problem? I cannot find anything online about it. I've also contacted Sennheiser but they act like I'm crazy. 

My pair is working like a charm, I'm having no problems at all.

However, I do know that seen a few people bring up a certain dilemma to what you are going through with your M2's. Very well could be part from a defective batch, and you so happened to receive three of them all from the same group.

Nov 21, 2015 at 5:49 PM Post #182 of 221
Thank you Emester, yeah, it's weird. I love these phones but I hate this issue. It seems highly unlikely that I would have three pairs from the same batch but maybe.  I mean, it is CLEARLY louder in the right ear. I'm a career musician and I know audio. Usually drums and vocals will be dead center in a mix with guitars, percussion, keys etc. being spread out in the stereo spectrum. Of course, occasionally drums will be panned off center or a vocal might be slightly panned right or left on purpose but I'm hearing vocal and drums skewed to the right on nearly every track I play. I urge owners of the M2's to really give this a listen. Once you hear it (if you do at all) you can't not hear it. 

Nov 21, 2015 at 10:55 PM Post #183 of 221
If this was simply your first pair, I would say return it for a new one. But as it is your third pair, maybe you should try and work with it. Adjust the right/left balance until it sounds right.

Both my FiiO X5 and AK120ii allow for this. Neutron Player on Android, does as well. Probably quite a few others.

Dec 3, 2015 at 4:22 AM Post #184 of 221
I had the same problem with some stereo monitors and earphones/headphones
in the end the doctor told me that my hearing is not perfectly balanced between my left and right "channels " :)) and a bit of wax pushed back in my ear by those daily ear cleaner sticks got me to my slightly not perfectly balanced hearing 

It may not be though your problem, but it's worth checking it :)
3 pairs with the same problem seems  little bit too much though not impossible :p

Quote:
  Thank you Emester, yeah, it's weird. I love these phones but I hate this issue. It seems highly unlikely that I would have three pairs from the same batch but maybe.  I mean, it is CLEARLY louder in the right ear. I'm a career musician and I know audio. Usually drums and vocals will be dead center in a mix with guitars, percussion, keys etc. being spread out in the stereo spectrum. Of course, occasionally drums will be panned off center or a vocal might be slightly panned right or left on purpose but I'm hearing vocal and drums skewed to the right on nearly every track I play. I urge owners of the M2's to really give this a listen. Once you hear it (if you do at all) you can't not hear it. 

Dec 3, 2015 at 4:29 AM Post #185 of 221
I would be very curios about a mode detailed comparison between M2 and HD600 if you have the time :p
I own the M2 and for my taste are a little bit too veiled and a little too much bass...in other words too thick and too veiled :))
I use them at my office with my HTC One M9 and for most genres I EQ them just a bit: -2 dbs for bass frequencies , + 1/2 dbs for low mids and + 3/4 dbs around 4.5 K where they are recessed 
this way they seem more "neutral"...I usually listen prog metal, instrumental rock , jazz/fusion and classical sometimes
for jazz and classical it's way to veiled without  EQ
I rarely don't use the EQ for stuff like Phil Collins and "older" music like that which is mixed with a whole less bass than today music
this way they are pretty addictive :))
and BTW at the office vol with Jetplus player is around 40 % and is enough  can't hear people around me and outside aroud 60-70 % max and is ok

Quote:
Upon further listening, my second impression is much the same as my first. There's a lot to like about the sound. It's very much in line with my preferred signature. The M2 is simply lacking meat. Thickness. Not bass. There's enough of that. But the sound is just a little hollow coming from my AK120ii. When I run it from the Maverick Audio D1 Plus, it fills out nicely.

That's a problem. These are meant to be for mobile use. They should sound good enough from a DAP. IEMs do. Angie sounds thicker, fuller, and better in every way. But she's over a grand. Well, the ATH-IM03 manager a weighty disposition, too.

Again, this might just be the way big, mobile headphones are. I don't know. These are my first. I just expected them to be driven sufficiently by a mobile device. That's sort of their whole point.

Dec 3, 2015 at 10:40 AM Post #186 of 221
The HD600 is more neutral, and even more open. I'm amazed at how spacious these M2s are, but the HD600, being an open-back phone, will always beat closed-back. The HD600 is bigger, and quite a bit more comfortable. Not that the M2 is uncomfortable, per-say. There's a bit more refinement in the sound of the HD600, with better imaging and separation. Mostly due to the wider soundstage.

If the Momentum is meant to be an easier to drive, more portable HD600, I think it succeeds splendidly. I've done a lot of listening over the last week and have grown to love these things. My earlier reservations have all but vanished. What is probably a perfect example of brain burn-in, they no longer sound thin or hollow to my ears. :)

Dec 3, 2015 at 12:51 PM Post #187 of 221
I think at least the M1 is closer to HD650 than 600. When commuting it comes pretty close actually. Straight through my 5S it sounds kind of loose and muffled, but playing through Fiio's E7 solves that right away in my case. Much better soundstage and resolution. I'm kinda surprised that no one mentions how much amping helps with these.

In a silent environment Momentums have too much bass for my tastes. But, they are portable headphones. In traffic etc. that extra bass and soft highs become very useful.

Dec 4, 2015 at 12:04 AM Post #188 of 221
I am glad to see folks enjoying the wired version of the M2. I have had multiple pairs and noticed zero imbalance of one ear sounding louder.  These are my favorite go to portable headphone. It is strange the comments the M2 invoke, I have heard some say they are too bassy and others say to trebly.  They have a sound signature that seems to just agree with me. It is such a nice upgrade to the original momentum which I did not like at all.

Mar 22, 2016 at 1:28 PM Post #190 of 221
I got my M2 wired a couple weeks ago. I had heard about this imbalance problem on Amazon reviews only in one or two cases... Does not seem to be a widespread problem. But I did listen for it and can't detect any on mine, thankfully.

I was surprised, however by the comparative lack of bass compared to my only other headphones... Apple ear buds! Yes my little white Apple ear buds that came with my iPhone have more promenant base... but after listening to the M2s I'm coming to believe it has better SUB Base and good quality mid bass. It's just that the mids and treble are so much better and more detailed on them, that the bass is less noticeable than with the buds.

I had heard that the M2s were noted for being bass oriented headphones, though less so than Beats, so I was at first surprised by my perceived lack of bass. But it also depends on what your listening to.

Finally, really only listen on my iPhone and iPad to Tidal, so far. So Tidal has no equalizer, so I can't boost bass. But is is high quality for streaming... 356 bit rate I believe (free 90-day trial i am going to pay the $10/mo. For the standard subscription once my free trial ends, not the 20$ for lossless).

So far I really like the phones and now they have come down in price to $240 I picked mine up locally at Best Buy and price matched. The Sony MDR-1A might sound better, I'm gonna compare again at Magnolia and possibly exchange.

Mar 22, 2016 at 3:39 PM Post #191 of 221
Mar 22, 2016 at 10:10 PM Post #193 of 221
Awesome review, @PinkyPowers
! Nice pics too! 

Thanks.

In the first week of owning the Momentums, a co-worker stopped me and said, "You look cool," pointing to the headphones upon my dome. He said it in a mocking way, but I noted he never commented on all the Beats floating around the office. The Momentums really stood out.

He stopped me again today, inquiring about these stylish beauties. I let him listen for a bit. Then he asked about the price, and cringed. Then he asked how much he might be able to find them for used.

:D

May 11, 2016 at 1:52 PM Post #195 of 221
I do most of my portable listening over an iPhone or pad streaming Tidal. I have these hp. I wonder how much better they would sound with the OPPO HA-2?

I bet they would sound better. I have the M2 also.I feel that they are accentuated in the upper mid range so that vocalists are in your face and fatiguing and annoying when the volume is turned up more than halfway.

I love the bass and the refinement on that headphone, but I have to play it at lower volumes then maybe other headphones I have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back