Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 or M2 Wired
May 27, 2015 at 8:27 PM Post #76 of 221
Anyone able to compare them to the p7s yet?

Sorry...I always wanted to but that is one hp I have never heard so I can't even do a comparison from memory.

May 27, 2015 at 9:09 PM Post #77 of 221
  Yes... I have had the M2 wired and wireless. I made a mistake and returned the wired M2 because I was able to get the wireless for the same price. Logic told me they would be the same in wired mode so I thought why not have the option of BT as well. I was mistaken, there are sound differences between the wired and wireless(passive or active). I have returned the wireless ones and repurchased the wired version.

Sorry if you see this posted elsewhere it has come up on 3 different threads today so I copied and pasted my reply.

How does the wireless version sound (when used with BT connection) compare to M2 wired?

May 27, 2015 at 11:27 PM Post #78 of 221

How does the wireless version sound (when used with BT connection) compare to M2 wired?

I think Sennheiser has temporarily halted the BT version, there were connectivity issues. For a BT headset they sound great. You had some diiferent options in the way you listened to them; wired passive, wired active, wireless(ANC is always on). Wireless the sound seemed to balance out and have the smooth Senn mids, but there are differences in wired passive and the Wired version. The wired version seem to have more control in the bass and the treble was not rolled off. The BT version in wired passive mode sound much more like the original Momentum. I did not like the original Momentum but really like the M2 wired version.

I hope you have a better idea, if not feel free to ask any specific questions.

May 28, 2015 at 10:37 AM Post #79 of 221

I think Sennheiser has temporarily halted the BT version, there were connectivity issues. For a BT headset they sound great. You had some diiferent options in the way you listened to them; wired passive, wired active, wireless(ANC is always on). Wireless the sound seemed to balance out and have the smooth Senn mids, but there are differences in wired passive and the Wired version. The wired version seem to have more control in the bass and the treble was not rolled off. The BT version in wired passive mode sound much more like the original Momentum. I did not like the original Momentum but really like the M2 wired version.

Thank you for these insights! Now I just have to decide whether or not going wireless is worth $150 extra. 

Jun 1, 2015 at 2:23 PM Post #80 of 221

Thank you for these insights! Now I just have to decide whether or not going wireless is worth $150 extra. 

After a month of going rounds with my obsession to go wireless I've reached the point where the trade off just isn't worth it for me. The convenience is fantastic but what I hear and what it costs just festers under skin for me.

I started with the M2 wireless and was underwhelmed but somewhat satisfied with the SQ however the right driver was pressed to my upper ear and the pressure from the fit just wore on me and I returned them.

Next up was the $499 competition from B&O the H8. Build, fit, and style all on point big time. Sound in ANC mode somewhat muddy. Less space between the instruments than the M2 however the vocals had a more natural timbre to them which I appreciated. Where they shine is with ANC turned off. Everything opens up and while the soundstage is smaller than the M2 its not by much and I think the overall character is more punchy with better highs and a very lush midrange. Again my problem with these ended up being cost and personal preference that I just don't enjoy on-ear cans regardless of how comfortable they are. These are no different, there is a sense of pressure and you always know you are wearing headphones.

I went to Magnolia with my H8's in hand and did direct compare with the H6 (which I love) and then the M2 wired. Initially I was just going back and forth between the H6 and H8 trying to decide if the -$100 tag, +wire, - bass punch, + soundstage, clean sound, and stunning vocals was worth the trade. I had all but decided it was for my tasted until I gave the M2 wired and shot. I was floored. I will say they did not have the soundstage and that clean sound character the H6 had but right away it felt like a combo of my favorite things from the M2 wireless, H6, and H8. Nice bass texture and solid punch without being boomy, bloated, or intruding into the rest of the spectrum. Vocals just pop and sound fantastically organic and intimate, simply gorgeous and incredibly addictive. Highs were crisp and splashy without being sibilant and maintain what I felt was a pretty accurate decay. The were obviously much lighter than their wireless counterparts and felt much more comfortable. And at $349 I can feel very good about cost to value and still grab some 66 Audio BTS+ Bluetooth Sports Headphone for a BT option that I can also use at the gym and still have $100 in pocket vs keeping the H8 or M2 wireless.

YMMV of course but this has been my brief journey. I think we are just seeing the beginning of wireless gear for the audiophile so I am happy to sit back and see what comes down the pike. B&O and Seen are some top dogs and make fantastic gear. Very much looking forward to the progress and evolution of wireless cans and you know the market demand will continue to drive manufactures to compete and bring us better and better products.
popcorn.gif

Jun 1, 2015 at 7:11 PM Post #81 of 221
Good post...that is the way I feel about them. I have explained on a couple of these threads that the wired vs. wireless are not the same hp's.

Jun 3, 2015 at 8:26 PM Post #82 of 221

After a month of going rounds with my obsession to go wireless I've reached the point where the trade off just isn't worth it for me. The convenience is fantastic but what I hear and what it costs just festers under skin for me.

I started with the M2 wireless and was underwhelmed but somewhat satisfied with the SQ however the right driver was pressed to my upper ear and the pressure from the fit just wore on me and I returned them.

YMMV of course but this has been my brief journey. I think we are just seeing the beginning of wireless gear for the audiophile so I am happy to sit back and see what comes down the pike. B&O and Seen are some top dogs and make fantastic gear. Very much looking forward to the progress and evolution of wireless cans and you know the market demand will continue to drive manufactures to compete and bring us better and better products.
popcorn.gif

Your insights were very helpful in my decision with my next headphones. Rather than going wireless I ended up buying B&W P7 and after quick impression the sound was awesome.

Thank you very much!

Jun 4, 2015 at 1:43 AM Post #83 of 221

I have the exact problem, both drivers press to my upper ear but on the left is pretty uncomfortable (almost hurts) honestly after 1 hours
I can still return them to amazon.de until June 11th, honestly I don't know what to do, they are very comfortable excepting this :frowning2:
can't understand why that edgy plastic covering the drivers can't be smooth like on other brands ...see bellow the difference between Momentum and MH40
https://290sqm.com/image/cache/catalog/Master-Dynamic/Master-and-Dynamic-MH40-Over-Ear-Headphones-Black-Leather-Gun-Metal/Master-and-Dynamic-MH40-Over-Ear-Headphones-Black-Leather-Gun-Metal-3-1240x1240.jpg
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-g2CulM9eJfw/VW7lhuEWWqI/AAAAAAAAFrU/6asXbb4oDMg/w840-h475-no/2015-05-07.jpg

Jun 4, 2015 at 5:52 PM Post #84 of 221
Nice thread with a focus on the wired M2, I need to get away from all that wireless M2 talk in the original thread. Not a complete success however as we still have wireless talk in a wired specific thread - we can't escape!!

I really like the M2 ivory at best buy, it has this white pearl look with gold trim.

Question: Does the M2 black version have a black pearl look? Or is it just a flat black?

Sold my Sony MDR-1A to get the M2 Wired. In the end, it came down to the M2's better build quality. I actually liked the sound of the Sony about the same, if not a bit better straight out of an iPhone 6+. I felt they were both comfy enough but Sony had the absolute edge there. And I also felt the Sony cans would creek at the seems in the long run - a minor creek was already developing on one of the earcups. I grew tired of feeling like I needed to handle the MDR-1A like it was made of glass. The metal on the M2 makes so much more sense. And the M2 has that apple remote :)

Jun 4, 2015 at 7:37 PM Post #85 of 221
Nice thread with a focus on the wired M2, I need to get away from all that wireless M2 talk in the original thread. Not a complete success however as we still have wireless talk in a wired specific thread - we can't escape!!

I really like the M2 ivory at best buy, it has this white pearl look with gold trim.

Question: Does the M2 black version have a black pearl look? Or is it just a flat black?

Sold my Sony MDR-1A to get the M2 Wired. In the end, it came down to the M2's better build quality. I actually liked the sound of the Sony about the same, if not a bit better straight out of an iPhone 6+. I felt they were both comfy enough but Sony had the absolute edge there. And I also felt the Sony cans would creek at the seems in the long run - a minor creek was already developing on one of the earcups. I grew tired of feeling like I needed to handle the MDR-1A like it was made of glass. The metal on the M2 makes so much more sense. And the M2 has that apple remote :)

I started this thread because of all of the negativity around the BT version and no focus on the sound of the wired version or the build quality or any of the positive. If you see my original post I have some pictures posted of the black. It is really like a gunmetal color. They are built really well. How long have you had the M2?

Jun 4, 2015 at 7:42 PM Post #86 of 221
If you see my original post I have some pictures posted of the black. It is really like a gunmetal color. They are built really well. How long have you had the M2?

Been A-B-ing the M2 Ivory Wired Over Ear all week at Best Buy with my MDR-1A (which just sold on eBay)... But with an iPhone 6+ source and Amazon music app I think it's somewhat pointless. They both sound good. But the build is so much better in the M2. Is the gun metal glossy and grain sparkle like? I was going to buy ivory that day but they only had black on hand.

Jun 4, 2015 at 7:48 PM Post #87 of 221
Been A-B-ing the M2 Ivory Wired Over Ear all week at Best Buy with my MDR-1A (which just sold on eBay)... But with an iPhone 6+ source and Amazon music app I think it's somewhat pointless. They both sound good. But the build is so much better in the M2. Is the gun metal glossy and grain sparkle like? I was going to buy ivory that day but they only had black on hand.

Grain sparkly as you say!

Jun 6, 2015 at 10:58 AM Post #90 of 221
Ordered up, my Over-Ear-Wired-iOS-Ivory M2's will be in my hands Monday. After trying a bunch of portable closed-backs I think this is the end game. Now I have to get IEMs and open-backs to complete the tri-force.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back