Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 and Wireless!
May 5, 2015 at 3:43 AM Post #1,787 of 3,671
  minidisc.com.au is able to price match $450, worth it?

Well, coming from someone who just bought a pair of noble k10's the term 'worth it' is very subjective lol. Its not a bad price and i doubt you will get it cheaper anywhere else in australia, i honestly cannot think of another headphone at that price that can match the m2s comfort, portability, build and sound so its probably worth it i'd say. The closest competitor thats cheaper would probably be the kef m500 which is on-ear tho.

May 5, 2015 at 10:43 AM Post #1,788 of 3,671
Ok, a brief update about the ANC on the Momentum: I have just spoken with their German Support, and, no, the ANC is not integrated in the BT chip. It is possible to make it deactivable. They just decided not to.
But he told me that it should/could be possible to introduce this possibility with a firmware update, so that a combination of button would activate or deactivate the ANC.
He also confirmed my theory, that the distortion on bass heavy tracks in case of bad sealing when chewing or moving the head depends on a conflict of the ANC trying to treat the music as if it was external noise. That's also why he agreed that making the ANC deactivable would be a good idea.

About the problem with the 3way multifuntion button, they suggested me to make a reset (which is what on page 29 of the manual is called "clear the pairing settings", and which is not well explained, because to enter in pairing mode you must NOT turn the headphones on first).
It did not work. So, yeah, it is a defect unit. Can happen.

I am comparing them with the On Ear version.
The On Ear has got less soundstage, a more engaging/aggressive sound, and a more punchy than boomy bass.
I personally like both very much. I suppose that they should be not only chosen according to the dimensions but also to which music you listen to and which signature you like.
But I will write more on that in my comparison thread in the next days.

May 5, 2015 at 12:24 PM Post #1,789 of 3,671
Anyone know where I could get a replacement OEM cable for the Momentum 2 without the mic?  I know there are aftermarket cables out there but would prefer to get the actual Sennheiser cable.

Many thanks in advance!

May 5, 2015 at 1:19 PM Post #1,790 of 3,671
  Anyone know where I could get a replacement OEM cable for the Momentum 2 without the mic?  I know there are aftermarket cables out there but would prefer to get the actual Sennheiser cable.

Many thanks in advance!

http://www.custom-cable.co.uk/sennheiser-momentum-2.0-replacement-lead-without-mic.html

Yup :D

May 6, 2015 at 1:27 PM Post #1,793 of 3,671
I recently had an opportunity to test the Momentum 2 wireless (over-ear) in flight.

As a frequent flier I can say these will not replace my Etymotic hf3 with comply tips for airplane listening. While the ANC works, the hf3 provides better isolation, volume, and clarity for my listening  style - classical, jazz, folk, some audiobooks. Not to mention size and value. My limited comparison would put the ANC on par with the Sony MDR-1NC and Zik, but less effective than QC25. 

The Momentum are incredibly convenient and pleasing, however, for home listening, phone calls, and pairing with my laptop. I now only submit my canals to the Ety's in the air.

Highly recommended, just not specifically for air travel. My 2 cents for other interested road warriors.

May 6, 2015 at 1:37 PM Post #1,794 of 3,671
Ok, a brief update about the ANC on the Momentum: I have just spoken with their German Support, and, no, the ANC is not integrated in the BT chip. It is possible to make it deactivable. They just decided not to.
But he told me that it should/could be possible to introduce this possibility with a firmware update, so that a combination of button would activate or deactivate the ANC.
He also confirmed my theory, that the distortion on bass heavy tracks in case of bad sealing when chewing or moving the head depends on a conflict of the ANC trying to treat the music as if it was external noise. That's also why he agreed that making the ANC deactivable would be a good idea.

About the problem with the 3way multifuntion button, they suggested me to make a reset (which is what on page 29 of the manual is called "clear the pairing settings", and which is not well explained, because to enter in pairing mode you must NOT turn the headphones on first).
It did not work. So, yeah, it is a defect unit. Can happen.

I am comparing them with the On Ear version.
The On Ear has got less soundstage, a more engaging/aggressive sound, and a more punchy than boomy bass.
I personally like both very much. I suppose that they should be not only chosen according to the dimensions but also to which music you listen to and which signature you like.
But I will write more on that in my comparison thread in the next days.

Nice look forward to them bringing that out for our beloved M2AEBT's :)

May 6, 2015 at 4:44 PM Post #1,796 of 3,671
Finally scored a pair from Amazon about a week ago and wanted to chime in. First off the issues I've read with Apple product connectivity has not been present in my experience with these over the past 5+ days. I live in a fairly rural area so didn't want to say much else until I had a chance to test them in a city. After a long drive I took bart into Oakland this afternoon and used them all the way in. The ANC did its job pretty well and I could only hear a slight white noise of the train in-between tracks and some very muted voices of other passengers. The sound is mostly enjoyable although a pretty significant step down from most $300-500 wired headphones. I find the character seems to favor stringed instruments and alto/soprano voices. The bass is a bit boomy and bleeds into the lower mids to my ears. There is an artificial quality to male vocals on several tracks I've tested but not all. Not sure if this is related to the tone of the voice or recording. Highs can sound a bit splashy at times but mostly seem to keep a faithful decay, sounding somewhat colored but still enjoyable. The soundstage is almost non-existent and there is very little if any space between instruments. Perhaps I've just gotten too used to zero effort put forth to hear every little piece of the music. At any rate I do find their overall signature enjoyable and at the end of the day they will get more use for the convenience of being wireless, light, and comfortable. Price tag is too high IMO for what you get but that's usually the case in this hobby. I do intend to order a hard case for them (should have included that for a folding portable) but the stock case will do for a while.

May 6, 2015 at 5:18 PM Post #1,797 of 3,671
  Seeing is believing...

Yes. I do not believe anymore to these things. Like Bose saying "yes, we will release a firmware to fix this problem with the iOS devices".
Oh yes? Super, I send it back anyway, when you solve the problem, I will buy it again.
The only Company I know who really listen to Customers is Avantree.

The soundstage is almost non-existent and there is very little if any space between instruments.

?????????????????????????????
Which kind of headphones are you used to?
Of all BT headphones which I have tested, these are the ones with the best Soundstage.

May 6, 2015 at 5:28 PM Post #1,798 of 3,671
Audeze LCD-3 and AT W1000x according to his signature, i.e. properly amped high end wired headphones.
You could save some money by trying some properly amped $300-500 wired headphones Giogio, maybe you wouldn't care to buy so many of the mediocre BT headsets :)

May 6, 2015 at 5:50 PM Post #1,799 of 3,671
  Audeze LCD-3 and AT W1000x according to his signature, i.e. properly amped high end wired headphones.
You could save some money by trying some properly amped $300-500 wired headphones Giogio, maybe you wouldn't care to buy so many of the mediocre BT headsets :)

I hate wires.
But the day there will be a nice, little, sexy, good BT receiver which I can plug into one of those wired headphones with detachable cable, something like the upcoming Btunes but smaller and sexier which does not make me feel like i have a microphone atached to my headphones, I will do that. At least for home use.
But I cannot move with wires hanging here and there. Just, no.

I have even refused buying a Senny RS 185 because I also move my notebook all the time, and the RS need the stationary transmitter to be plugged to your notebook.

The very best will be the day there will be a wifi headphone. People say this would give a much much better audio quality.
Somebody told me of an experiment about this which did not work well. But I have no idea which.

May 6, 2015 at 6:24 PM Post #1,800 of 3,671
  Yes. I do not believe anymore to these things. Like Bose saying "yes, we will release a firmware to fix this problem with the iOS devices".
Oh yes? Super, I send it back anyway, when you solve the problem, I will buy it again.
The only Company I know who really listen to Customers is Avantree.

?????????????????????????????
Which kind of headphones are you used to?
Of all BT headphones which I have tested, these are the ones with the best Soundstage.

I should disclose that other then my $25 BT headphones for the gym I have not tested any others. I wasn't a huge fan of the original Momentums but thought they were decent sounding, ruined for me by ear cups that were too small. An issue fixed with these.

This. It's unfortunate but the movement towards wireless seems to fit with the the culture of convenience, Netflix over Blockbuster regardless of PQ/AQ, wireless over wired regardless of the loss in fidelity. In honesty though I watch more movies because I can stream and I will listen to these more often because of their convenience. That said, it wouldn't be a sacrifice if there wasn't something given up for the wireless convenience. The good news is the market demand will produce better and better sounding wireless headphones as that is really where the $$ is at #beats.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back