Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 and Wireless!
Sep 7, 2019 at 8:41 AM Post #3,631 of 3,671
No LDAC and only 17 hours of battery life? Sticking with my Sony for now.

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2019 at 12:25 PM Post #3,632 of 3,671
Looks great. Other than the exposed wires, which I’m surprised aren’t integrated into the design considering how modern it looks otherwise. They replaced the steel with aluminum and it looks like they added venting for the bass and maybe a larger soundstage.
Thankfully, it looks like they retained the steel. Now, if they only updated the app to support a 7-band EQ instead of that silly dot.

Sep 19, 2019 at 4:14 PM Post #3,633 of 3,671
Listened to the Momentum 3 today. They seem to have more or less the same sound signature, but they definitely sound thinner, there's just less body to the sound. Don't get me wrong it sounded good, just slightly more like a nice suit. But you don't wear a suit to a metal party, if you get what i'm saying. That's why i'm slightly disappointed.

My question is, i would be interested in knowing wether burn-in has any effect on the Momentum 3. Anyone own these yet?

I posted here because people are familiar with the Momentum 2 wireless, which is what i'll be comparing them with.

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2019 at 5:51 PM Post #3,634 of 3,671
Listened to the Momentum 3 today. They seem to have more or less the same sound signature, but they definitely sound thinner, there's just less body to the sound. Don't get me wrong it sounded good, just slightly more like a nice suit. But you don't wear a suit to a metal party, if you get what i'm saying. That's why i'm slightly disappointed.

My question is, i would be interested in knowing wether burn-in has any effect on the Momentum 3. Anyone own these yet?

I posted here because people are familiar with the Momentum 2 wireless, which is what i'll be comparing them with.

Did you try tweaking the sound with the app? That's one thing that the 3 has that is lacking on the 2.

Oct 9, 2019 at 10:14 AM Post #3,637 of 3,671
Oct 12, 2019 at 3:47 AM Post #3,639 of 3,671
"Thank you for contacting Sennheiser Technical Support. Yes, the Momentum 2/ HD1 headphones support the AAC cdec natively."
I cannot confirm off the top of my head if the Momentum 2/HD-1 over ear wireless supports AAC off the top of my head (the wireless In Ear definitely does), I'll look into it, ask the engineers. Side note, apparently the current generation of MacBooks actually does support Apt-X output over bluetooth, so if you have that Apple model you should still get very high quality wireless.
Update: I've been trying for a while to force these headphones to use AAC, but they won't receive AAC on Mac no matter the config or iPhone 7. Apple Bluetooth Verification tool says that the Momentum supports AAC so I'd really appreciate if Sennheiser can run it by a few engineers to enable it. It's an issue on the headphone side, not Apple.
Compared aptX on my Mac to my iPhone, which should use AAC if it supports it, and the iPhone is definitely using SBC.
Sennheiser doesn't even list AAC as a codec for the M2. Let's fix this as it could support it with some help on Sennheiser's end
beyersmile.png
Does the momentum wireless sound decent connected wirelessly to an iPhone seeing as it lacks aptx and the momentum doesn't support aac? Would it be worth getting a phone with aptx or is the difference not noticeable?
Most reviews you see online from consumer-oriented websites are done with Momentum Wireless over SBC. It sounds good but nowhere as good as the wired version. It's still one of the best options around if you absolutely need wireless for some reason.
Not sure what happened but it sounds like wireless on iPhone is greatly improved -- maybe AAC support started working, or Apple improved SBC via an iOS update. Maybe even preferable to wired and aptX as it sounds livelier than the former and more natural than the latter.

Multi-quoted above for reference.

I can confirm that the Senheiser Momentum M2 *only* supports codecs aptX and SBC in it's latest software version as of oct-2019 (notice no aptX-HD neither AAC here). I have confirmed this by making M2 to list the supported codecs with the Bluetooth Tweaker and in the audio negotiation this is everything that counts. NO, they cannot "fix" support for the AAC because it's not like that. To support AAC you need to pay relevant royalties to the owner of the patent (Apple) and they provide the binary libraries with the decoder (see here).

BUT, the good news is that the SBC is supported in all it's best-quality flavors. Although SBC compression is not so efficient, but the audio quality at max SBC might be better than with standard aptX (depends on perception though).

This is the reason why on iOS 11 you get a quite good quality through Bluetooth, the highest supported SBC being 48 kHz dual channel, with 16 blocklength, 8 subbands, bitpool 53, and alocation SNR/Loudness... while Windows 10 will rather choose aptX with 44.1 kHz which is also quite good.

And just for reference, the attached pictures are REALLY interesting, however notice their SBC codec in the picture support 44.1 kHz (while our M2 supports 48 kHz):

SenheiserM2-codecs.png
Bluetooth-Codecs.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2019 at 8:21 AM Post #3,641 of 3,671
Hello :) Posting here for posterity.

So I have been using the MTW for 5 months and have grown accustomed to the sound. I find it quite rich and detailed with some bass boost (emphasised in the mid-bass region with strong sub-bass roll-off). This makes the MTW very versatile at handling many genres particularly the ones I love such as korean-pop, EDM, electronic pop etc. I like to think that they have used the same sound signature tuning as the HD800 (or HD820) but with a bit of bass boost for the mass-market sound while retaining the mids and treble profile. The MTW very much follows the tuning of the Sennheiser house sound.

Since the release of the Sony-WF1000XM3 (WF3), I have gotten a bit of gear acquisition syndrome after reading so many raving reviews and finally tested it for 30 mins today. I wanted to get a another TWS to complement the MTW especially in the sub-bass department. Note I do not care about ANC and only want excellent sound in the convenience of a TWS package.

With EQ set to default on WF3, I found that at first listen the sound signature was quite similar with a V-shape tuning. What was immediately apparent was that WF3 had the same wide soundstage but was much narrower forward. Bass was good but not as full and convincing as the MTW. Mids (female voices were tested) were a bit screechy and hollow while treble was present but not exaggerated. I suspect masking from bass and mids and the narrow soundstage to plague the treble. Overall, if I didn't own the MTW, the WF3 would be a good bargain given the 1/3 price discount, 2x battery life and more. The sound was very good and only lost to the MTW when you really listen. I also prefer the aesthetics and the shape of the MTW in my ears.

So my point is if you have the MTW, stay with it. If you are shopping for a TWS, you can consider both.

One last challenger is the MW07 Plus which I heard have better bass than the MTW. I cannot find it here in my region so it would be really helpful if someone who has tried both chime in here.

Jan 8, 2020 at 10:19 AM Post #3,642 of 3,671
Hello. I have just bought an used Sennheiser m2 aebt wireless and I am doubting about if they are fake. Does it exist a counterfeit of these headphones??

The thing that made me doubt is the logo in the lateral, it is Black instead of holographic like in wired version.

I also own a wired m2, and the rest of the headphone looks good, the sq looks ok with aptx codec and the pads (used) have the same touch sensation.

Have your me wireless Black or holographic logo?

I paid about 60€ for them in a shop (cex) without box or case, but I have 14 days to return them

20200108_160121.jpg 20200108_161543.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2020 at 11:54 AM Post #3,643 of 3,671
Hello. I have just bought an used Sennheiser m2 aebt wireless and I am doubting about if they are fake. Does it exist a counterfeit of these headphones??

The thing that made me doubt is the logo in the lateral, it is Black instead of holographic like in wired version.

I also own a wired m2, and the rest of the headphone looks good, the sq looks ok with aptx codec and the pads (used) have the same touch sensation.

Have your me wireless Black or holographic logo?

I paid about 60€ for them in a shop (cex) without box or case, but I have 14 days to return them

I have the wireless version (bought a couple years ago from Amazon) and they have the black logo.

Jan 8, 2020 at 12:31 PM Post #3,644 of 3,671
I have the wireless version (bought a couple years ago from Amazon) and they have the black logo.

Thank you very much. It was the confirmation I needed.

When I searched in Google images, it looks chrome/holographic, but I saw that the ones on sale on eBay, have the black logo.
The wired version seems to sound better connected to my lg v30. Now, when a pair of 1000xm3 I bought for 100€ arrives, I have to compare them with the m2w, qc35, qc35 ii and 1000x v1, and select which one to keep

Jan 8, 2020 at 3:43 PM Post #3,645 of 3,671
Thank you very much. It was the confirmation I needed.

When I searched in Google images, it looks chrome/holographic, but I saw that the ones on sale on eBay, have the black logo.
The wired version seems to sound better connected to my lg v30. Now, when a pair of 1000xm3 I bought for 100€ arrives, I have to compare them with the m2w, qc35, qc35 ii and 1000x v1, and select which one to keep

Let us know which one you keep and why!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back