Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread
Apr 26, 2012 at 8:43 AM Post #2,326 of 7,699

Quote:

Is the seller an authorize dealer? I really don't know what to say if you are finding it grainy. What tips are you using with them?

Yes, they are an authorized dealer. 
I am using the medium bi-flange, and the large weird-looking hard bi-flange (lessens bass quantity, better for Rock music). 
Can you try it on an iPod? And with the song "Until You Suffer Some (Fire & Ice)" by Poison?

Apr 26, 2012 at 8:56 AM Post #2,327 of 7,699
I have to see if I can find the song. But I'm curious if its mainly an issue with a particular song, the IE80 could be very well showing you the flaws in the recording.

Edit: Ok I got the song and the recording does seem a bit harsh as is. I'm noticing this more so in the upper mid and lower treble region. But it is noticeably worse on my iphone4 than it is on my DACport LX with my O2 amp. Its a bit edgy is you will.

Apr 26, 2012 at 11:31 AM Post #2,328 of 7,699

Quote:
I have to see if I can find the song. But I'm curious if its mainly an issue with a particular song, the IE80 could be very well showing you the flaws in the recording.

Edit: Ok I got the song and the recording does seem a bit harsh as is. I'm noticing this more so in the upper mid and lower treble region. But it is noticeably worse on my iphone4 than it is on my DACport LX with my O2 amp. Its a bit edgy is you will.

Hmm, so it is the recording. What's the difference of using the iPhone vs the DACport LX + O2?
What bugs me is that, with the DT770/600, which is supposed to be more revealing AFAIK, the song is presented smoother than the IE 80.

Have you tried the weird-shaped bi-flanges? How does it stand to aftermarket tips?

Apr 26, 2012 at 6:07 PM Post #2,329 of 7,699

Quote:

Hmm, so it is the recording. What's the difference of using the iPhone vs the DACport LX + O2?
What bugs me is that, with the DT770/600, which is supposed to be more revealing AFAIK, the song is presented smoother than the IE 80.

Have you tried the weird-shaped bi-flanges? How does it stand to aftermarket tips?

Aftermarket tips are way better IMO. I was able to use the bi-flanged but can't really get a decent seal with them and constantly lose sound. The JVC tips from amazon are way better for me at least. They are large single flanges. But they also have them in small and medium depending on what suites your ears. I find that recording to sound a bit less edgy and more refined on the DACport LX and O2 amp but I can hear the edginess in the song still. I think that's just poor mastering.

Apr 27, 2012 at 2:48 AM Post #2,330 of 7,699

Quote:

Aftermarket tips are way better IMO. I was able to use the bi-flanged but can't really get a decent seal with them and constantly lose sound. The JVC tips from amazon are way better for me at least.

I use the medium stock biflanges. They're comfortable, they have the best bass quantity but not the best tone (drums sound darker). Also, I think that I have a decent seal, but I believe that I can do better.

Apr 27, 2012 at 4:52 AM Post #2,331 of 7,699
Also, the hifiman biflanges work pretty well IMO, although they do add something that I don't really like. Perhaps a slight muddiness to the bass, although it's been a while since I tried them so I'm just going off of my memory here. But they provide a better seal IMO.

Apr 27, 2012 at 5:02 AM Post #2,332 of 7,699
That I wouldn't really like.
If I find a RadioShack store here in Dubai, I'll definitely try the Auvio (?) tips.

Apr 27, 2012 at 5:18 AM Post #2,333 of 7,699

Quote:
That I wouldn't really like.
If I find a RadioShack store here in Dubai, I'll definitely try the Auvio (?) tips.

Yeah and if you can get your hands on those JVC tips I had mentioned earlier. They have them at amazon. Also the V-moda tips work great but I find them to sound better on the FX700s.

Apr 27, 2012 at 5:49 PM Post #2,334 of 7,699
It's scary a week goes away so quickly, especially with the music blowing in my head.

Apr 28, 2012 at 7:23 AM Post #2,335 of 7,699
IE 80 vs RE 262?

Apr 28, 2012 at 9:08 AM Post #2,338 of 7,699
My impressions of the IE80? Sennheiser should stop with the fancy packaging that is probably half the cost of the product. A magnetic outer box? A questionable value injection molded inner box? Give me a break. Sell the IE80 in a clear cellophane or a brown paper bag for half price and call it a day. It's as bad as Shure's 535 satin aluminum box, in both clear and black anodized finish. What a waste.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back