Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread
Apr 26, 2012 at 12:27 AM Post #2,311 of 7,699

Quote:
My IE80s have over 100 hours of use, but I still feel that there is grain in the treble.. My DT770/600 actually sounded less bright on music that normally would sound bright, like Rock. The DT770 sounded much cleaner. The track was Fire & Ice, by Poison.

What source are you using to drive them? That can be a contributing factor. I don't find the IE80s treble to be grainy but silky smooth.

Apr 26, 2012 at 1:08 AM Post #2,313 of 7,699

Quote:
Are there fake IE80's ? 

noob question : what's burning in? 

I haven't heard of any fake IE80s yet. 

Burn in refers to the idea that a driver will change with time as it is run.  Essentially, it's believed that the driver will "loosen" up as it is used more and can impact the sound.  Break in is another word that is also thrown around, this can refer to the breaking in of other things (tips for example, pads for headphones, etc).  Brain burn in is the idea that the brain will adapt to a pair of headphones with time. None of this has been proven true or false.

Apr 26, 2012 at 1:22 AM Post #2,314 of 7,699

Quote:

I haven't heard of any fake IE80s yet. 

Burn in refers to the idea that a driver will change with time as it is run.  Essentially, it's believed that the driver will "loosen" up as it is used more and can impact the sound.  Break in is another word that is also thrown around, this can refer to the breaking in of other things (tips for example, pads for headphones, etc).  Brain burn in is the idea that the brain will adapt to a pair of headphones with time. None of this has been proven true or false.

awesome quick response. thanks a lot ! 

edit : so IE80s are definitely the preferred vs the IE8's ? 

Apr 26, 2012 at 1:57 AM Post #2,317 of 7,699
Tons of ie80 fakes are available for sale at China's Taobao.com. What we don't know is how many of those were sold.

Apr 26, 2012 at 2:08 AM Post #2,318 of 7,699

Quote:

awesome quick response. thanks a lot ! 

edit : so IE80s are definitely the preferred vs the IE8's ? 

Quote:
There are fake IE80s out so don't be fooled. Buy from an legit dealer to avoid scams. If its too good to be true it just is.

Quote:
There were fake IE80s lurking around since just after the IE80 was released. They work fast, avoid eBay for those at all costs.

I apologize for my ignorance on this subject.  I guess they are out there (I didn't hear about them though).  As always, I think the last statement Lee makes is one that is worth mentioning again, if it seems too good to be true, it probably is.  Go with an authorized retailer so you also get warranty support.

Apr 26, 2012 at 6:01 AM Post #2,320 of 7,699

Quote:

What source are you using to drive them? That can be a contributing factor. I don't find the IE80s treble to be grainy but silky smooth.

I am using an iPod classic as a source, and the Meier Porta Corda III as a portable amp (through iPod LOD) / DAC. 
The IE 80 was bought from Sharaf DG for $408. 

Apr 26, 2012 at 7:05 AM Post #2,322 of 7,699
They aren't meant to give the best in isolation. If you want that you should opt for BA such as Shure, Westone, or better yet Custom IEMs.

Apr 26, 2012 at 7:07 AM Post #2,323 of 7,699

Quote:

I am using an iPod classic as a source, and the Meier Porta Corda III as a portable amp (through iPod LOD) / DAC. 
The IE 80 was bought from Sharaf DG for $408. 

Is the seller an authorize dealer? I really don't know what to say if you are finding it grainy. What tips are you using with them?

Apr 26, 2012 at 8:40 AM Post #2,325 of 7,699
OMG the sound stage with the IE80s and DX100 (EQ Flat) is to die for. I just can't get over how it surrounds you :wink:. Two excellent songs with the IE80s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back