Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread
Nov 28, 2011 at 4:05 PM Post #511 of 7,699

Quote:
Put it this way...I'm the OP of this thread and nobody believed me that there was going to be an IE80...and as things turned out there was. I'm a "new" member, don't get on here a whole bunch, and have almost no posts - but believe you me...there is an IE10 coming this January and it's going to be beastly; which it better be for a msrp of around $800. I have a good friend who happens to be in the business, specializing in Sennheiser and am somewhat privy to some inside information. I'd love to post his information because he's doing a year long giveaway (six months left) but the mods have already let it be known that they don't want any type of advertising done on their forums...unless of course you pay them first...which is very unfortunate for you guys cuz he's given away some very nice cans so far including the HD 800's & HD 600's :frowning2:

I'd say that a universal IEM costing $800 retail have a really small chance of entering the market. Who would buy an $800 IEM and not go customs?

Nov 28, 2011 at 4:08 PM Post #512 of 7,699
Quote:
I'd say that a universal IEM costing $800 retail have a really small chance of entering the market. Who would buy an $800 IEM and not go customs?

Where's james when you need him? 
wink.gif
biggrin.gif

Nov 28, 2011 at 6:20 PM Post #516 of 7,699
Hmmm, it seems the ie80 is a refresh of the ie8. A replacement rather than an all out new monster.

But...

...IE10.

Sounds like the real deal.
$800 AND MOST IMPORTANTLY OF ALL sennheiser's pricing in UK is fair, so maybe around £400. Interesting.

Nov 29, 2011 at 4:37 AM Post #517 of 7,699

Quote:

Believe it, some people hate customs and prefer UIEM (including me) and some people prefer it the the other way around, customs are not the standard they are the exception (at least for me).
If sennheiser really made an IE10 (which I have been waiting since I read about it somewhere) with a price tag of approx.$800 they are expensive for an IEM, yes but they could be in a completely different league, we can't be sure until released and tested.
Let the waiting game begins

Nov 29, 2011 at 5:40 AM Post #519 of 7,699
I had the idea of getting my first custom one/two months ago. I'd set aside the funds BUT couldn't set aside the time, yes the time. So it can wait untill after my degree!!

You've got to go through quite a lot more compared to a normal headphone to get into the 'used to it' region.
- visit ear clinics to get impressions. Find out on how to get them done/ where to go for the best one's.
- send off impressions to usa for the jh13/16, or maybe others if you want.
- Wait for them to come back as a headphone
- Embrace yourself for pain. Either they fit perfectly but it takes your ears a few weeks to find the right fit and feel comfortable with them being filled with this giant lump of plastic/silicone OR you go through these few weeks and find that you need your impressions taken again. Maybe it doesn't sound right, but what are you taking as a reference point as this is your first custom iem. Anyway, In this case get a reimpression, go back to step 1. 

Some of this audio stuff can soak up time, and I've now the experience to see when that's coming!!!

I haven't ever heard heard or owned westone iem's but I gurantee you that from the question 'hmmm shall I buy this??' to the statement 'i'm comfortable with wearing this iem' would only take up a few hours in the maximum. For me if the barrel of the headphone is of the size of shure/westone I'll use medium single or double flange klipsch image tips. Don't care about any others as they are the most comfortable for me. And if the barrel is of the width similar to re0, then its the sony hybrids. Loop it over my ear, clip it to my shirt collar on the back of my neck, loop the wire over my back into the sansa/cowon in my pocket. There we go. 

Nov 29, 2011 at 5:47 AM Post #520 of 7,699

Quote:
I had the idea of getting my first custom one/two months ago. I'd set aside the funds BUT couldn't set aside the time, yes the time. So it can wait untill after my degree!!

You've got to go through quite a lot more compared to a normal headphone to get into the 'used to it' region.
- visit ear clinics to get impressions. Find out on how to get them done/ where to go for the best one's.
- send off impressions to usa for the jh13/16, or maybe others if you want.
- Wait for them to come back as a headphone
- Embrace yourself for pain. Either they fit perfectly but it takes your ears a few weeks to find the right fit and feel comfortable with them being filled with this giant lump of plastic/silicone OR you go through these few weeks and find that you need your impressions taken again. Maybe it doesn't sound right, but what are you taking as a reference point as this is your first custom iem. Anyway, In this case get a reimpression, go back to step 1. 

Some of this audio stuff can soak up time, and I've now the experience to see when that's coming!!!

I haven't ever heard heard or owned westone iem's but I gurantee you that from the question 'hmmm shall I buy this??' to the statement 'i'm comfortable with wearing this iem' would only take up a few hours in the maximum. For me if the barrel of the headphone is of the size of shure/westone I'll use medium single or double flange klipsch image tips. Don't care about any others as they are the most comfortable for me. And if the barrel is of the width similar to re0, then its the sony hybrids. Loop it over my ear, clip it to my shirt collar on the back of my neck, loop the wire over my back into the sansa/cowon in my pocket. There we go. 

Exactly, the thought of going through the whole process is discouraging. This is the best part - customs cost a lot but the customer has to spend time, extra money (impressions) and effort. Ooh, I just found out why Sennheiser would introduce a high end universal IEM. 
smile.gif

Nov 29, 2011 at 5:58 AM Post #521 of 7,699

Quote:
Exactly, the thought of going through the whole process is discouraging. This is the best part - customs cost a lot but the customer has to spend time, extra money (impressions) and effort. Ooh, I just found out why Sennheiser would introduce a high end universal IEM. 
smile.gif

Yes I have to agree that it's a bit frightening. But that is why they had the TF10 sale on amazon :). I'm gonna get them remolded into customs for dirt cheap and I'll go from there on if I want to continue further down the custom IEM path. The Starkey SA-43 will be my big step into that path if the Custom TF10 works out.

Nov 29, 2011 at 10:14 AM Post #522 of 7,699
I'll probably get customs one day, just for the sake of curiousity. But if these new sennheisers really come in and take the univerall iem market to new heights, then, well, surely less of us need customs??

I mean sennheiser CAN. They've got leading headphones in all the markets they cover. Senn hd800 for open phones, hd25 for portable, mx980 for earbuds and ie8 was up there about 1/2 years ago in the iem world. 

Maybe they wanna remind us who's boss

Nov 29, 2011 at 10:22 AM Post #523 of 7,699
the IE10s are really intriguing and I consider sennheiser to be the best generally on the audiophile world.

I hope Joker has a review coming up of this IE80s...

i'm already happy with my fx700 but i wonder why I still want to have another IEM haha..
my eyes are already bleeding reading Joker and James' reviews

Nov 29, 2011 at 11:14 AM Post #524 of 7,699

Quote:
the IE10s are really intriguing and I consider sennheiser to be the best generally on the audiophile world.

I hope Joker has a review coming up of this IE80s...

i'm already happy with my fx700 but i wonder why I still want to have another IEM haha..
my eyes are already bleeding reading Joker and James' reviews

I wouldn't exactly say best but it is up there

Nov 29, 2011 at 11:19 AM Post #525 of 7,699

Quote:

I don't know man...$800 is just what I heard so far...could be less. The pricing I'm still not 100% sure on; I didn't really ask nor did I care to. But the IE10's are coming. That's a fact. Should be this January. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back