Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread
Dec 17, 2015 at 1:35 AM Post #6,947 of 7,699
Sounding mighty impressive now. Bass has tamed down alot, thank fudge.As it stands would rate these as a tighter IE60. Rate them a touch higher than my GR07 based on my sound preference. I like a bit of bass boost, GR07 had an anaemic sound on alot of the edm tracks I listened to but were spectacular on anything vocal focussed.

Vsd3s sounds very similar to IE80 but bass feels a little less controlled to me and has the typical Vsonic sibilance. I would rate VSD3S as the best budget IEM under $50.

Compared to IE60. IE60 has a more prominent mid, less bass. Treble is about even. A very intimate sounding IEM,voices sound so close which I prefer over massive soundstage for rock, rock on an IE60 is a highlight. My IE60 have improved an incredible amount over time and I expect the same from the IE80.

Dec 17, 2015 at 2:43 AM Post #6,948 of 7,699
I'm thinking of getting these to pair with my Klipsch X10. Does anyone here have the Klipsch X10 in order to compare them to the Ie80? From what ive heard, the IE80 might have slightly elevated treble in relation to the X10. Would that be a correct assumption?

Dec 17, 2015 at 4:39 AM Post #6,949 of 7,699
I used to hate my IE80 with a passion - they sound pale and flavourless from a ZX1, one dimensional and lack of detail from a PHA3.

Today I plugged it into my laptop, hardly qualifies as an "audiophile gear" and boom! I was totally blown away by the result. It sounded balanced and accurate; best of all it had the proper 3-D laying of music which I only get from a full size headphone.

Ok, it still doesn't have the level of detail which current gen IEM enjoys but it's not too far behind either. It has become my default audio gear at home now XD

Dec 17, 2015 at 3:58 PM Post #6,951 of 7,699
Almost 20 hours burned in (whether that actually matters or not, the debate will never end) and i just received my Spiral dots (M size; i use M tips and these fit nicely and comfortably) today. First thing i would say is that people who buy IE80 exclusively for their bass should probably avoid this. The bass definitely feels weaker when compared to the included Foam tips and slightly weak when compared to the regular tips. The sub bass is there and highs feel more pronounced and clearer (compared to the double flange tips i was using before). Also i am not noticing much of a change in the soundstage, again when compared to the double flange tips. To conclude, i would say that the IE80 feels more balanced with the Spiral dots.

EDIT: I would also like to add that i was testing them with my E17K/O2 combo and i must say that the instrument separation of the O2 combined with the soundstage of the IE80 makes for an amazing combination. The difference was definitely noticeable to me.

Dec 17, 2015 at 7:51 PM Post #6,952 of 7,699
Almost 20 hours burned in (whether that actually matters or not, the debate will never end) and i just received my Spiral dots (M size; i use M tips and these fit nicely and comfortably) today. First thing i would say is that people who buy IE80 exclusively for their bass should probably avoid this. The bass definitely feels weaker when compared to the included Foam tips and slightly weak when compared to the regular tips. The sub bass is there and highs feel more pronounced and clearer (compared to the double flange tips i was using before). Also i am not noticing much of a change in the soundstage, again when compared to the double flange tips. To conclude, i would say that the IE80 feels more balanced with the Spiral dots.

EDIT: I would also like to add that i was testing them with my E17K/O2 combo and i must say that the instrument separation of the O2 combined with the soundstage of the IE80 makes for an amazing combination. The difference was definitely noticeable to me.
Ie80 has bass adjustment setting on each ear piece. With the right tip selection & seal, the bass will go very deep. They hit hard

Dec 18, 2015 at 12:32 AM Post #6,953 of 7,699
I used to hate my IE80 with a passion - they sound pale and flavourless from a ZX1, one dimensional and lack of detail from a PHA3.

Today I plugged it into my laptop, hardly qualifies as an "audiophile gear" and boom! I was totally blown away by the result. It sounded balanced and accurate; best of all it had the proper 3-D laying of music which I only get from a full size headphone.

Ok, it still doesn't have the level of detail which current gen IEM enjoys but it's not too far behind either. It has become my default audio gear at home now XD

The best gear I found for the IE80 is Nexus 7 with Neutron amplified by NX1. Amazing sound!

Dec 18, 2015 at 3:16 AM Post #6,954 of 7,699
the best gear for me to use with the IE80 is anything that doesn't hiss ^_^.

Dec 19, 2015 at 2:51 PM Post #6,955 of 7,699
I bought a cheap Panasonic iem just to try out the tips. Cut the stem by 3mm and added a decored medium comply foam tip and getting a good comfortable seal and now am extremely impressed with the sound, or should I say even more impressed now.

Dec 22, 2015 at 1:17 AM Post #6,956 of 7,699
So...after a YEAR of ownership, I have finally figured out why my IE80 sounded so bad - drum roll please:
I have accidentally set one side to MAX bass and the other side to MIN bass XD

Now everything is good and I am a happy bunny.

Dec 22, 2015 at 2:27 AM Post #6,957 of 7,699
welcome to IE80 anonymous. you can tell us everything.
I believe I have spent my first 2 months of owning the IE80 like that. influenced by symmetry logic instead of looking at the small engravings ^_^

Dec 22, 2015 at 2:32 AM Post #6,958 of 7,699
  So...after a YEAR of ownership, I have finally figured out why my IE80 sounded so bad - drum roll please:
I have accidentally set one side to MAX bass and the other side to MIN bass XD

Now everything is good and I am a happy bunny.

Oh, boy... It must have taken a lot of courage, to bring this to the light. :D

Dec 25, 2015 at 4:06 PM Post #6,960 of 7,699
Amazon is on sale at 200E, is it worth anymore or any other alternative? I currently own HD650 and like its sound very much.

Thank you

If mids are not a real deal in your music preference, you can jump straight in and get the IE80.

If you want good resolution in the mids and don't mind a barrel design that sticks out your ears when you wear them, you may want to check out the JVC FX850.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back