Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread
Sep 24, 2012 at 11:21 AM Post #3,286 of 7,699
By the way, guys, Tape-Mod (ISO-MOD) was previously designed particularly by IE8 users , not IE80's. So yes, IE8 owners should try it especially, as the result might be even better then it works on IE80. 

Sep 24, 2012 at 12:43 PM Post #3,287 of 7,699
Quote:
By the way, guys, Tape-Mod (ISO-MOD) was previously designed particularly by IE8 users , not IE80's. So yes, IE8 owners should try it especially, as the result might be even better then it works on IE80. 

I have, and was quite fascinated.
And upon seeing all the positive view of it, it revisit the mod again.
It did clear up the mid and reveals the very clear and beautiful mids we might have been missing all the while.
I listen to it for roughly 30mins on different genres of songs from pop to rock to classic.

What i do next is listen to my songs again with the mod taken away.
And i was wowed again by the bass and the out-of-head experience.
And i have stereo enhancement on full on my cowon which help widen the audio.

On critical listening, imo the iso-mod made things better.
But for casual listening i found it to be better as it is due to the bass being more overwhelming.
I also feel more air without the mod, which gave a little more comfort.

I guess the mod isn't to everyone's taste. I don't think it goes well with rock songs though but might be making things better with other genres.

In the end, i trust sennheiser to be making the right choices, i'm sure it would save sennheiser much design and manufacturing costs to take away the ventilation adjustment altogether. Heck, the ie800 coming out has 2 vent ports which i guess is very hard to block seeing how it's at the back without any flat surface to paste any tapes on. The iso-mod together with some bass EQ actually transform the ie80 into another iem altogether. For ie8 though, im pretty sure ventilation's only at the ventilation hole, not too sure for ie80. But hey, u could experiment around, im sure u wanna see ur sennheiser logo together with the mod.

Sep 24, 2012 at 4:07 PM Post #3,289 of 7,699
The tape mod does not help the sound signature in any way for me. I guess we all hear somewhat different. Sounds much better across the spectrum without the tape to my ears. 

Sep 24, 2012 at 5:42 PM Post #3,290 of 7,699
Quote:
The tape mod does not help the sound signature in any way for me. I guess we all hear somewhat different. Sounds much better across the spectrum without the tape to my ears. 

I wouldn't want to tape mod a pair of $300 iem's to make it work. Psychologically it doesn't work for me. When it's not acceptable in your mind it won't sound good. That's called brain burn in. :)

Sep 24, 2012 at 8:13 PM Post #3,291 of 7,699
Extremely pleased with how fast the IE80s got to me from Italy to Aus, 4 whole days.

Put an order on the US Amazon site on Sunday night, instantly payment etc. - ALL items in stock.

Checkout with express delivery, costing $70... pretty much almost the cost of the goods itself.

Then it says, dispatch date, 2nd Oct... Estimated Received date... 9th-15th Oct...

Is that a troll? I paid pretty much twice the cost for express postage than the IEMs, and it's going to take almost 4 weeks instead of 4 days to get to me? 

Sep 24, 2012 at 8:17 PM Post #3,292 of 7,699
Sorry to hear it. I think that there was an Australian who put his up for sale yesterday...might have saved you a few bones. Hang in there!! It tough to be patient on new stuff especially in the audiophile arena. I'm waiting on new hp's and custom cable that have been a long time coming...

Sep 24, 2012 at 8:22 PM Post #3,293 of 7,699
No, I've already got my IE80s from Amazon ITALY which took 4 DAYS.

I've just made another purchase for books(all in stock) from the Amazon USA store, which is expected to take 4 WEEKS. 

I'm just curious as to why they've listed priority shipping on their site as 3-5 days, which should include dispatch date assuming that all items are in stock.

I paid twice the amount in postage compared to the express from Italy, and it's expected to take 4 weeks total instead of 4 days from Italy. 

Sep 24, 2012 at 8:42 PM Post #3,296 of 7,699
Oh well, can't always expect the best when it comes to ordering stuff online, guess it just makes up for the exceptional speed the first time haha. 

Just expected it to be a day or two delayed compared to the earphones at most, but when I found out that actually dispatching the goods will take longer than the earphones took to get to me... I was fairly puzzled. 

Do you have a link for the JVC tips that you bought from?

Sep 24, 2012 at 8:46 PM Post #3,297 of 7,699
@Matt: Sounds good. May I ask what tips where you using when trying out that tape mod :p. I'm sure you'll still prefer it with it off but just for laughs try it out again with those tips if they work out for you :).

Just went from the RE262 back to the IE80s and man the RE sound like crap in comparison :frowning2:. Guessing I'm gonna be returning the RE real soon. My expectations were way too high for them...

@ich1ban:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/8-x-Replacement-Ear-Phone-Ear-Bud-Headphone-Gel-Tips-Various-Colours-Large-/230844350654?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&var=&hash=item7b6aeb9789

You can also visit his store as he has other sizes to select from.

Sep 24, 2012 at 8:57 PM Post #3,298 of 7,699
Well, maybe it's just the shape of my ears. These tips do not work for me at all. I had ALOT of trouble getting them on. They are very stretchy like a rubber band. I finally got them both perfectly positioned  but the sound is very light on the bottom end but no biggie. 

Lee or ich1 send me your address and I'll mail them to you. Someone might as well use them. 

Sep 24, 2012 at 9:00 PM Post #3,299 of 7,699
Sorry they don't work for you. Sounds like either you are not getting a good seal or you are a true bass-head Matt :wink:. FWIW once they start wearing in they really fit my ears well. Initially they have a more rubbery texture but your oils from your ears coat them and make them very sleek.

Sep 24, 2012 at 9:10 PM Post #3,300 of 7,699
Meh, I'll keep the one pair I guess and try them for the next few days. It seems like they are just too soft around the perimeter to keep any sort of shape and make the seal happen. Mine are skin of an eggshell thin on the outer perimeter. I don't know. I'll work with them some. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back