Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread
Sep 21, 2012 at 11:18 AM Post #3,241 of 7,699
Quote:

Yes. Digital EQ always adds distortion.

Wrong. If you boost some frequencies you will add distortion. But not if you lower them.

Read this:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/413900/how-to-equalize-your-headphones-a-tutorial

and this:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/615417/how-to-equalize-your-headphones-advanced-tutorial-in-progress

Sep 21, 2012 at 11:20 AM Post #3,242 of 7,699
I find that the tape mod takes away to much of the bass and the soundstage taking away what makes the IE80 the IE80. 

Sep 21, 2012 at 12:00 PM Post #3,243 of 7,699
Dnt u guys think closing the vent will direct to a driver fail .. since this method  pretty much stress the driver ? just asking , 
blink.gif

Sep 21, 2012 at 12:09 PM Post #3,244 of 7,699
Quote:
I find that the tape mod takes away to much of the bass and the soundstage taking away what makes the IE80 the IE80. 

Exactly my point.
It took away the factor that made us liked IE80.

While I might forsee partial covering of the vent, I prefer not to mod anything and EQ down whateva's spiky instead.
In fact, a good silver cable corrects the wrong found on the IE80.

Sep 21, 2012 at 2:48 PM Post #3,245 of 7,699
Well in my case the sound stage hasn't decreased much at all. That could be due to my silver cable and my Studio V 3rd ANV. The sound stage is very much large still and the placement is more accurate. Pretty much if the track calls for a large sound stage it will be large. Just they are very much mid-centric now. Detail is superb, I'm hearing detail I've never heard before in both mids and treble. The bass is there still and in quality, on bass heavy tracks the bass is still plentiful just the emphasis is on sub bass, mid bass is tamed big time.

Sep 21, 2012 at 3:21 PM Post #3,247 of 7,699
Quote:
Closing the bass ports is like turning an open can into a closed one. Of course the sound stage will suffer.
No amp or magic cable can prevent that.

In my case its not a big change. With my sources it's minimized. A slight hit but nothing major. I'd say the sound stage is still bigger than the IE7 IMO. Plus I don't think you've tried the Studio V so you'd have to try that DAP to know what I mean by a huge sound stage. It really does have a wide, down the hall type sound stage and makes the IE80 sound stage even bigger. There is no magic in that, the Studio V naturally has that characteristic about it. The DX100 competes with it in sound staging but the Studio still wins in that regard. The biggest noticeable change for me was in the bass. Going back I felt the bass was bloated in comparison (mid bass). This allowed for the mids to really shine and the treble detail is top notch now (lots of sparkle).

Sep 21, 2012 at 9:49 PM Post #3,249 of 7,699
Quote:
Dnt u guys think closing the vent will direct to a driver fail .. since this method  pretty much stress the driver ? just asking , 
blink.gif

???? am i invisible or something??   can sm 1 tell me abt this..

Sep 21, 2012 at 9:58 PM Post #3,250 of 7,699
Agree totally with Lee, No soundstage reduction, try using thin clear plastic tape instead of the electrical black tape.

Sylaw; why would that stress the driver? in fact its less looser and more accurate reverbs. 

Sep 21, 2012 at 10:41 PM Post #3,251 of 7,699
Quote:
Agree totally with Lee, No soundstage reduction, try using thin clear plastic tape instead of the electrical black tape.

Sylaw; why would that stress the driver? in fact its less looser and more accurate reverbs. 

non-experiaced ppl like me do doubt abt these kinda mods. lol thanks man.  i thought i might ended up with a dead driver

Sep 22, 2012 at 12:22 AM Post #3,253 of 7,699
Quote:
Agree totally with Lee, No sound-stage reduction, try using thin clear plastic tape instead of the electrical black tape.

So you tried it out? Its actually quite nice. Wasn't expecting that kinda sound? Is that what the HD600 sound more like? Or does the treble resemble more of the HD650s after the mod? The sound-stage placement is definitely more spot on, it really tells you where its coming from (imaging). Detail is noticeably better. Can't really call the treble laid-back at this point but still non-fatiguing and silky-smooth. I love that though. I foresee the MDR-7550s going up for sale soon now lol and not because they are bad IEM (they are excellent themselves). Otherwise I have no idea how the hell the sound stage is still this large by itself. Even through my UHA6 MKII and DACport LX the sound stage is still very large. I'm a sucker for a large sound stage so it if did indeed neuter them in this regard I'd have gone back already. I actually did try and go back and was disappointed by the mid-bass bloat in comparison to the mod. So I ended up reverting again but this time made it look nice and cut the pieces of tape to perfectly fit the faceplate. Looks like it also offers protection to the faceplate from scratches :).

Sep 22, 2012 at 1:46 AM Post #3,254 of 7,699
Quote:
???? am i invisible or something??   can sm 1 tell me abt this..

Sorry lol. No I doubt it because the driver should be more under stress if its technically moving more. With it open its able to breathe and thus move more, producing more bass and a slightly bigger sound stage. I also have my reservations regarding covering the entire IEM. I think some of those removable compartments may not be as sealed as you'd be led to believe. The drivers still may be getting some air just not as much.

Sep 22, 2012 at 11:15 AM Post #3,255 of 7,699
Quote:
Sorry lol. No I doubt it because the driver should be more under stress if its technically moving more. With it open its able to breathe and thus move more, producing more bass and a slightly bigger sound stage. I also have my reservations regarding covering the entire IEM. I think some of those removable compartments may not be as sealed as you'd be led to believe. The drivers still may be getting some air just not as much.

Interesting... led me to wonder that the IE80 has other ventilation other than the one visible.
On my IE8, its totally sealed, cause when i tried the tape, it feels vacuum when one put it on.

I wouldn't be surprised the silver faceplate is the other form of ventilation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back