Sennheiser IE800 IEM's
May 14, 2016 at 5:52 AM Post #5,161 of 7,998
May 15, 2016 at 8:31 PM Post #5,164 of 7,998
Here we go:GR10 vs q Jays vs ie800 vs SE535 vs W40.Taking bets which has the best sound?(Most of you will be wrong ).
biggrin.gif

https://www.audigo.sk/Tema/Recenze-sluchatek/Hledame-nejlepsi-in-ear-sluchatka-do-20-000-Kc-131

May 15, 2016 at 9:45 PM Post #5,165 of 7,998
Thanks! That looks expensive. There's no way I can get a medium size pair?

Are you based in Singapore? If so, you may want to contact Sennheiser Asia's service centre directly via
email <web.asia@sennasia.com.sg> or phone (+65) 6408-5143.

Sennheiser Stay updated on Sennheiser at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/SennheiserUSA https://twitter.com/SennheiserUSA http://www.instagram.com/sennheiser https://sennheiser.com/
May 16, 2016 at 3:56 AM Post #5,167 of 7,998
  I use the ZX2 + IE800 as well, and boomy or flabby bass are SO not adjectives I would ever use to describe the bass response on that combo—believe me, I also have Klipsch Image One's, and you'd be hard pressed to find a boomier bass cannon than that.

Heck, I turn on the "Clear Bass" slider to about 4 when I use the IE800 to help punch up and extend the bass response.

I don't doubt what you're hearing, but I have to wonder if it may be the result of the tips you're using, fitment, or perhaps even some damage in the driver/housing itself.

I don't think it was fit issue, I was getting very decent fit and using a very deep insertion.  IE800 has a LOT of inherent bass boost - 10dB and my bet is that my EQ allowed too much midbass through thus increasing the impression of boominess.  I also tend to be very sensitive to more intangible aspects of bass presentation.  I am used to HD 800 bass as my reference for natural sounding bass, however I also like the bass from RE-400.

I cannot rule out some sort of seal or insertion depth issues as those can definitely mess with the bass.  Which tips are good with the IE800?  I generally find medium complys work well for me.

I can see some weirdness with the 30Hz square wave from Innerfidelity (as well as channel matching) so my guess is poor seal could contribute to lack of bass control.

Long bass decay also however shows in measurements from Goldenears and james444 .

CSD from RE-400 shows much more neutral bass decay IMO.  30Hz square wave is also a thing of beauty.
  Hey! I'm on the lookout for new IEMs and I've torn between IE800 and the AKT8IE (or SE846). Can anyone recommend one over the other?
I've heard the IE800 today and think they sound fantastic. I own the ER4S, and Beyer T1 (gen1) and RHA T10i (for EDM, pop, etc.).

I listen to Classical (strings, orchestras, etc), Rammstein, Metallica, Lorde, etc. wide range of music, really. 

Problem: I like the ER4S but sometimes I find that it's super analytical (well, it's supposed to do that), so I'm looking for something to complement it. And I like to take walks with music, and T1 is too large to lug around with an amp (I've tried..believe me.). So I'd like something portable. I'm also living with a roommate, so noise leak is a concern.

I think that since I got the T1, and they're marketing AKT8IE as baby T1, I should get the IE800.

Also, is there any rumor on new IEMs by Sennheiser?

Any views much appreciated!

I would be wary of T8ie until they sort out reliability issues.  Sound otherwise is very romantic and shows a lot of promise, just not exactly neutral.

May 16, 2016 at 8:16 AM Post #5,168 of 7,998
  I cannot rule out some sort of seal or insertion depth issues as those can definitely mess with the bass.  Which tips are good with the IE800?  I generally find medium complys work well for me.

I prefer silicone tips. And generally speaking, I tend to always need the largest size available to make a good seal. However, in regards to the silicone tips that came with the IE800, the largest round tips caused a problem for me. My right ear wouldn't seal properly. I THOUGHT it was, as the ambient noise from my surroundings appeared to sound the same in both ears. But, during certain songs with especially prominent low-end bass (e.g. something that focuses almost entirely on a bass guitar), my right monitor would vibrate.

I was sure that the driver housing was bad. But I switched to the large "oval" tips and finally managed to take care of that issue.

May 19, 2016 at 8:47 AM Post #5,174 of 7,998
Having suffered neck problems for 20 years I got to a point a few months ago where I could no longer use "proper" full sized headphones (though I still regularly use my PXC300 for working at my computer so very lightweight supra-aurals are still OK). So I undertook an extensive search for a good IEM. I finally chose the IE800 and after 6 weeks of ownership I remain incredibly impressed. Sound-wise I could go as far as to say it is beyond any significant criticism and that if what I hear does not sound good, it is not the fault of this brilliant little transducer - it is always without exception the fault of the recording (in that the recording will not sound any better on any system, no matter how good or expensive). The sound I am hearing out of these is better than any sound I have ever heard before - from headphones, IEMs or even very expensive speakers. Sure, they are not perfect of course but as listener to classical music they seem to have fewer vices than anything else I have ever heard. They were definitely worth the considerable purchase price and the considerable effort to audition so many headphones and IEMs.

On the negative side as others have pointed out, the cable is simply too short. Even an extra 3 inches would have resolved this issue, but with the stock cable, it makes it very difficult to use these with a normal hifi system which is actually the only way I am using them. Secondly, genuine replacement tips are very expensive for what they are ($48 AUD for just one pair). Thirdly, I have no idea why Sennheiser does not include their cable clip (part 525787) with the unit. For me at least it is a mandatory attachment. Not saying they have to pack one in the box but it should be made mandatory for authorised dealers to include one for free with the purchase. Without it, the tips eventually loosen and with it the sound starts to become annoyingly phasey, requiring me to often press the ear phones back into my ears. With the clip, doing that is never necessary - I can have a 3 hour listening session and never touch them. Yes, I can use an over-sized tip without the clip but they are uncomfortable, irritate my ears and actually change the sound for the worse (I like the medium / large oval style tips).

As for packaging and build quality...wow. I am really fussy on these particular fronts and these things are faultless gems. Whoever designed these things down to the style, the materials used and the quality of the build and craftsmanship - they all deserve gold medals. And I say that as someone who is unbelievably hard to impress. I can't help feeling that these will become classics. I also can't help feeling that people who liked the venerable ER4S but wanted more would find that these are everything they could ever have hoped for - except for that darned short cable!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back