Sennheiser IE800 IEM's
Jul 7, 2016 at 6:16 AM Post #5,401 of 7,998

But none of the above 4 items matter a jot if an individual is enjoying the music using the IE800 or whatever.  I sometimes wonder if some people are able to relax and enjoy what their phones are delivering because they are more intent on trying to be analytical rather than appreciative.  BTW this is not aimed at anyone here and I've been guilty of it myself.

So, until my IE800s arrive I'll have to sit on the sidelines here and enjoy music on the HD800S phones which arrived early this week.

..."I don't know much about art but I know what I like" from the NY Times 1880.

This also applies to headphones so well said.

Jul 7, 2016 at 8:30 AM Post #5,402 of 7,998
  get lear lcm bd 42 or dita truth and end game 
biggrin.gif

Ah, but the statement was that there were IEMs that were better and cheaper than IE800.
Both of these are no doubt awesome, but both cost more.

Jul 7, 2016 at 9:52 AM Post #5,403 of 7,998

Ah, but the statement was that there were IEMs that were better and cheaper than IE800.
Both of these are no doubt awesome, but both cost more.

i miss out. the only cheaper iem comes close is finder x1

Jul 7, 2016 at 11:14 AM Post #5,404 of 7,998

Totally agree with everything you said.

There are so many factors that makes one like a particular product over another - saying x is better than y, and thinking it applies to everyone else might be a bit simplistic (especially when we are dealing with high end products). It might be true to you individually, but not necessarily true for others.

Exactly. Listening is too subjective. One can only say this is better than that IMHO. That's it. 

Jul 7, 2016 at 2:22 PM Post #5,405 of 7,998
It would be utterly impossible to make two people hear the same thing... It would be almost impossible to have two people have the same mental state, even less possible to have them listen to the same music through exactly the same equipment.. 

But we can all agree that some IEMs and headphones are just very good and enjoyable! 

Like ie800! Love it! 

About cheaper ones, I tested a few, like Fiio EX1, with which I was impressed. For it's price, I would totally get one. But the intended signature was not similar to ie800. 

It's hard to decide which is better when two headphones have a completely different signature. 

A bit like comparing ie800 to se846. It's possible to compare, but each of them does a totally different thing with the music. Or HD800 with HD650. A person can like both, of course, but they are so extremely different. Impossible to say that one is truly better unless one specifies exactly what signature he wants, what he listens to and with what equipment. 

Let me say the following: Tried LCD4.. They were amazing. I would never, in my entire life buy them, because the signature is so relaxed, so smooth. Even if my ultrasone dj one pro sound like throwing mud into concrete walls, when comparing to them, I still would pick my bad headphones because they deliver the signature I need. Now, I want to get a headphone with a signature like ie800, because having smooth treble is killing my mood for music a lot. 

I totally need to test out Echobox Finders, especially if everyone says it's comparable as a signature to ie800.

A shut out to the person always promoting flares: I can completely accept them being amazing if they are, but to impress me, they need a sparky treble, and stronger bass, and sweet mids. If the treble is smooth, they will still be accepted by me as great IEMs, but I won't be all over something unless it has this sound. 

P.S. After performing live a lot and being in a band, and doing pro level mastering on commercial music, only the following is true: Music is not intended to be smooth or bass anemic, when live. Live concerts (metal, rock, etc) have really strong cymbals, that can cause hearing loss, fatigue and even temporary diziness, and live metal has bass that hits you in the stomach and makes your entire bone structure vibrate. Other types of music might be different. This is why there are so many different signatures.

Someone listening to jazz might want smoother treble or leaner bass, but when I do listen jazz, I want that treble to spark. 

Jul 7, 2016 at 2:54 PM Post #5,406 of 7,998
 ​Exactly. I found sound signature might be the most important thing for one's preference. It might be more relevant than other technique aspects.
And genre is anther most important facet to determine one's preference. For me, Sound stage size and shape plus imaging are most important since I mostly listen to symphony. But if someone mainly listen to vocal, he will definitely have difference preference with I.

Jul 7, 2016 at 7:43 PM Post #5,407 of 7,998
thats true, sound signature is most important before u decide which has better resolution!
beerchug.gif

Jul 8, 2016 at 1:39 PM Post #5,408 of 7,998
  Sound signature-wise, the Pinnacle P1 does indeed show some similarities to the IE 800 (yeah, that was my first thought when I listened to the MEE for the first time).
To me, it sounds like a somewhat fuller, warmer version of the IE 800 with a forward but less sparkling/splashy upper treble and less sub-bass impact.

IMO sound signature is not the ie800's forte. There are iems with better signatures IMHO, for example the Roxanne. The ie800's fortay is speed and detail. The one thing I want to know is whether the KSE1500 beats it in this regard.  (edit: this assumes the ie800's bass port is properly tuned of course)

Jul 8, 2016 at 1:46 PM Post #5,409 of 7,998
One last thing. I know initially it can seem like mids are recessed, but they're not. It's just that too loud in many iems. Give the ie800 some time and I doubt you'll be able to find a spot in a song where the mid wasn't good.

Jul 8, 2016 at 1:53 PM Post #5,410 of 7,998

IMO sound signature is not the ie800's forte. There are iems with better signatures IMHO, [...]

Well, that's of course a matter of personal preference and field of application (it's like saying blue is a better colour than green for example). 
wink_face.gif

But as you've said, on the technical side, ...
The ie800's fortay is speed and detail.

... the IE 800 is extremely capable. Kudos to the Sennheiser folks for what they got out of the single dynamic driver (especially in terms of bass speed, control and aridness).

Jul 8, 2016 at 1:55 PM Post #5,411 of 7,998
Uh, when bass is elevated in spl over the midrange and treble is elevated in spl over the midrange too, that is by definition a recessed midrange. Doesn't mean it's not a good quality and doesn't mean it's not enjoyable, but it does mean it's recessed.

Jul 8, 2016 at 2:00 PM Post #5,412 of 7,998

IMO sound signature is not the ie800's forte. There are iems with better signatures IMHO, for example the Roxanne. The ie800's fortay is speed and detail. The one thing I want to know is whether the KSE1500 beats it in this regard.  (edit: this assumes the ie800's bass port is properly tuned of course)

​Agree IE800 is not prominent in sound signature. To me, its fortes are imaging precise and whole soundstage shape.

Jul 8, 2016 at 4:15 PM Post #5,413 of 7,998

​Agree IE800 is not prominent in sound signature. To me, its fortes are imaging precise and whole soundstage shape.

Both of you! 

I buy ie800 for it's signature. This is the thing I, ME, George loves. Roxanne can be many more times better technical if they want, but if they will never have this signature, I'll never have the same love for them I have for ie800. 

This is the point. 

Stop classifying things as good or bad, describe signature with words, so that people who don't know a IEM can actually have an idea. 

For me smooth is bad. This means LCD4 is bad? no. It's not my thing. 

Ie800's signature is sparkly treble, strong bass, juicy / sweet mids, very fast bass and sound in general, technically more capable than anything I;ve heard, probably because of this signature I love so much! The treble is what I love most of it. First IEM I don;t need to EQ to bloody bone to sound good mates. 
biggrin.gif

Jul 8, 2016 at 4:45 PM Post #5,414 of 7,998
Both of you! 

I buy ie800 for it's signature. This is the thing I, ME, George loves. Roxanne can be many more times better technical if they want, but if they will never have this signature, I'll never have the same love for them I have for ie800. 

This is the point. 

Stop classifying things as good or bad, describe signature with words, so that people who don't know a IEM can actually have an idea. 

For me smooth is bad. This means LCD4 is bad? no. It's not my thing. 

Ie800's signature is sparkly treble, strong bass, juicy / sweet mids, very fast bass and sound in general, technically more capable than anything I;ve heard, probably because of this signature I love so much! The treble is what I love most of it. First IEM I don;t need to EQ to bloody bone to sound good mates. :D

Thankfully George, this iem is known for its extended sharp life-like treble for people like us who want that signature. Others who want warm and dull can buy rolled off products like Oppo CM3 which to me sucks life out of much music. Horses for courses. But I cannot understand people buying ie800 and then moaning treble is brash. Try first is rule for anything, but if not possible, do the research and read others reviews.

Jul 8, 2016 at 5:16 PM Post #5,415 of 7,998
Thank George for reminding. Except the two aspects I mentioned, I also like 800's two ends (so this is a V-shape signature, which is not my preference. I prefer neutral with proper enhanced bass). But amazing thing is: though its treble is spark, it has no those grainy sound (digital sound, like 598 or X2), which I'm very sensitive to and cannot endure. Its sound is very coherent.
The worst of this phone is its design, from its cable to its ear tips. I even have a DIY IE800, which is cable replaceable, I cannot understand what's the point of the two-parts design of the cable!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back