Sennheiser IE800 IEM's
Aug 30, 2014 at 2:21 AM Post #2,296 of 7,998
Going to try the TS-500 comfort Comply today if they're back in stock to see how those work as well as they're more rounded as the stock Senn tips but Comply :yum:

Ok got a hold of one pack of Comply TS-500 comfort....and ????

Well I must say after the simple mod the comfort are an even better fit the the regular T-500 being that they are rounded like the original tips these are size medium as they are the same size as the ones pre packaged with the 800s when you take them out the box actually they're just a tad larger but it's because of the comply material but hey they fit great I haven't really had a chance to listen to lots of tracks yet how I wanted to get this out to everyone so they would know here's some photos if I can get them to load up

Aug 30, 2014 at 3:26 AM Post #2,298 of 7,998
Quote:

Finally I got them to load.....now as you can see Comply TS-500 comfort with factory connectors :blush: looks like they came this way......:yum:
Thanks for the pics.  Although the small stock tips fit me perfectly, I may need to try this mod.

Aug 30, 2014 at 11:24 AM Post #2,299 of 7,998
I got a pair of brand new ie800 from Sennheiser Norway today.

I first asked my local dealer about changing them because of the stiff cable, but they said I had to contact the importer directly. I did, but they didn't find any offical statement that stiff cable was an issue. I sendt them a bunch of posts written in this forum about the problem, and they believed me. Perhaps this problem is officially recongnised now.

Anyways. The cable on my new ie800 is very soft and comfortable. Much more so than my previous pair was when they where new. (First had sn. 10xxx, the new ones are sn. 21xxx). Hopefully they will stay this way.

Aug 30, 2014 at 6:51 PM Post #2,300 of 7,998
I got a pair of brand new ie800 from Sennheiser Norway today.

I first asked my local dealer about changing them because of the stiff cable, but they said I had to contact the importer directly. I did, but they didn't find any offical statement that stiff cable was an issue. I sendt them a bunch of posts written in this forum about the problem, and they believed me. Perhaps this problem is officially recongnised now.

Anyways. The cable on my new ie800 is very soft and comfortable. Much more so than my previous pair was when they where new. (First had sn. 10xxx, the new ones are sn. 21xxx). Hopefully they will stay this way.

☺️

Sep 1, 2014 at 8:25 PM Post #2,302 of 7,998
So. I fell out with these a little bit . I found a really good fit with the small tips, the problem was the sound was altered more than I realised at the time. The bass was really heavy and the highs were constricted somehow, it's hard to explain but something wasn't right. Anyway I decided that surely a £600 iem shouldn't be sounding this way so I decided to do some research . I found a blogger that measures iems and he found that the ie800 was much better suited to a shallow fit , therefore I decided to try the medium tip with a shallow insertion . The difference is huge! The bass is now much more balanced ( although still slightly elevated in my book) and the treble is beautiful! Much more extended and realistic . I realise now how important it is to get a good fit with an iem and especially with these. I do see it as a bit of a design flaw but I suppose it's the nature of the iem. Its really hard to account for all the variables . Maybe custom fits really Are the way to go . That's for another time but for now I will enjoy my ie800s for the first time all over again :)

Sep 1, 2014 at 9:16 PM Post #2,303 of 7,998
So. I fell out with these a little bit . I found a really good fit with the small tips, the problem was the sound was altered more than I realised at the time. The bass was really heavy and the highs were constricted somehow, it's hard to explain but something wasn't right. Anyway I decided that surely a £600 iem shouldn't be sounding this way so I decided to do some research . I found a blogger that measures iems and he found that the ie800 was much better suited to a shallow fit , therefore I decided to try the medium tip with a shallow insertion . The difference is huge! The bass is now much more balanced ( although still slightly elevated in my book) and the treble is beautiful! Much more extended and realistic . I realise now how important it is to get a good fit with an iem and especially with these. I do see it as a bit of a design flaw but I suppose it's the nature of the iem. Its really hard to account for all the variables . Maybe custom fits really Are the way to go . That's for another time but for now I will enjoy my ie800s for the first time all over again :)

Yes you're correct as I brought this up a while ago about maybe some should try one size or so larger than your normal size to see if you would get a better fit and better overall sound quality........ fit is crucial .....

Sep 3, 2014 at 1:42 PM Post #2,304 of 7,998
Hi I just noticed, when I was changing the size of eartips, that the metal mesh at the right headphone is not straight, as it is on the left headphone, it is a little bit curved to the back ( I mean to the headphone hole). I post photo of it here, I think, that it is a production fault, because I can´t imagine how would I possibly do this. Do you think it is normal or can this imperfection  influence the sound? The headphones are two month old, so I can try to ask for replacement or repair.

Sep 3, 2014 at 9:50 PM Post #2,305 of 7,998
I think that's normal?  My grilles are curved as well.

Sep 6, 2014 at 1:29 AM Post #2,306 of 7,998
Just figured I'd pop my head in and say these sound amazing!  I bought them off a fellow HF member and just got them in today.  Haven't really tried a big variety of music to test them out, but so far I'm loving The XX, Radiohead, and Les Miserables after doing a little EQing on my X5.  I was also surprised these actually don't seem to hate my vintage receiver, which I use as my amp for my computer.  There's a small amount of background noise, but less than the HD700, and with any music whatsoever it's utterly unnoticeable.  They seem to respond quite nicely to EQ, even reaching close to thunderous with the loudness switch on.

I've always had comfort issues when it comes to IEMs, typically due to tips, so at least for the time being I'm using comply tips with these.  I'll work on finding out which of the supplied tips works best for my ears.

Either way, I'm quite glad to be an owner so far, my only complaint so far is I wish the cable was a foot longer, but that's about it.  Of everything I've ever listened to, this is the 4th time I've come across something that I just knew right away I made the right choice, amusingly enough 3 of those products are Senns.

Sep 6, 2014 at 2:08 AM Post #2,307 of 7,998
Hi I just noticed, when I was changing the size of eartips, that the metal mesh at the right headphone is not straight, as it is on the left headphone, it is a little bit curved to the back ( I mean to the headphone hole). I post photo of it here, I think, that it is a production fault, because I can´t imagine how would I possibly do this. Do you think it is normal or can this imperfection  influence the sound? The headphones are two month old, so I can try to ask for replacement or repair.

Fair point, my pair has one grill concave, one convex - definitely not 'caused' by me... is this that common?

Sep 6, 2014 at 4:02 AM Post #2,308 of 7,998
Fair point, my pair has one grill concave, one convex - definitely not 'caused' by me... is this that common?

I checked mine and the right is concave while the left is not quite convex but has less of a dimple.

Sep 6, 2014 at 4:22 AM Post #2,309 of 7,998

I checked mine and the right is concave while the left is not quite convex but has less of a dimple.

I would have them replaced Immediately, I remember when i first got the ie 800 & the right driver blew, then had it replaced and the new set had the same concave grill (left or right, can't remember which now), most definitely not normal. Unfortunately is poor quality control.

Sep 6, 2014 at 4:52 AM Post #2,310 of 7,998
I would have them replaced Immediately, I remember when i first got the ie 800 & the right driver blew, then had it replaced and the new set had the same concave grill (left or right, can't remember which now), most definitely not normal. Unfortunately is poor quality control.

This is my second pair and was replaced by Sennheiser due to a defect. The first pair had cable issues, which by the way, is starting again. What I did notice with the first pair was the same dimple in one or both, I don't exactly remember. I still have 22 months on my warranty and sending them back every 30 days is not exactly my idea of fun. I'll travel down the road a little bit more with them and see what else fails or begins to have problems. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back