Sennheiser IE8 Impressions Thread
Mar 6, 2009 at 5:39 AM Post #2,506 of 8,119
To those who said that the using comply on IE8 kills the treble, I guess that may have to do with the fact that you are inserting your IE8 deeper into your ear than supposed to.

I have been using the large foam that came with the IE8 for the last few days, and I conclude that the IE8 is still too bassy, not enough treble, at least for now (my IE8 has about 70~90 hours burn-in time). So just now I spent time trying all different tips that came with the IE8 and in the end I settled down with the large single flange tips. I found that they makes the IE8 to have more treble, compared to the foam tips. I also noticed that the IE8 are inserted less deep into my ear with the large single flange tips. I don't know whether the foam was taking away the trebles, or the deepness of the insertion, but I tend to think it is the latter.

Anyway, even with these extra trebles, I still think the IE8 is too bassy (even at the lowest bass setting). Let's see if it really will open up with more trebles pass the once it reach the 250 hours point.

Mar 6, 2009 at 7:08 AM Post #2,507 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by khtse /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To those who said that the using comply on IE8 kills the treble, I guess that may have to do with the fact that you are inserting your IE8 deeper into your ear than supposed to.

Have you used Comply tips with the IE8? You state that it is a fact that the tips are inserted too deep, yet you don't know the shape/depth of or ears. I for one have large, deep ear canals compared to the majority from what I have read about fit for the IE8 and IEMs in general.

Plus, I get the best bass, stage, and treble with my tips inserted as deep as I can get them!

Quote:

I have been using the large foam that came with the IE8 for the last few days, and I conclude that the IE8 is still too bassy, not enough treble, at least for now (my IE8 has about 70~90 hours burn-in time). So just now I spent time trying all different tips that came with the IE8 and in the end I settled down with the large single flange tips. I found that they makes the IE8 to have more treble, compared to the foam tips. I also noticed that the IE8 are inserted less deep into my ear with the large single flange tips. I don't know whether the foam was taking away the trebles, or the deepness of the insertion, but I tend to think it is the latter.

Anyway, even with these extra trebles, I still think the IE8 is too bassy (even at the lowest bass setting). Let's see if it really will open up with more trebles pass the once it reach the 250 hours point.

The foam tips included are very different than Comply tips, fairly similar to Shure olives IMO. I can't compare the Senn foam vs. the Comply as the Senn foam doesn't seal for me, but with other IEMs the Complys attenuate the treble more than the Shure olives.

And IMO you shouldn't be making conclusions at 70~90 hours, wait until the sound sig stops changing to make any conclusions. I personally thought they sounded pretty bad at that time. For me that was about 250 hours.

Tips and depth do make a big difference and everyone should experiment to see what is going to give them the best fit, but I don't agree that stating what is true for you is a fact for everyone else.

Mar 6, 2009 at 7:23 AM Post #2,508 of 8,119
the tip used has, imo, as much importance as burn in, i was only REALLY happy when i found the UE medium silicon tips. YMMV.

Mar 6, 2009 at 7:41 AM Post #2,509 of 8,119
What didn't you like before that point?

Mar 6, 2009 at 7:52 AM Post #2,510 of 8,119
has anybody compared the given foamies with the shure olives? what are your opinions?

Mar 6, 2009 at 8:25 AM Post #2,511 of 8,119
Gosh, if the Shure olives do the trick for me, I will be extremely happy.... What's the best way to take the inner tube of an olive out so it'll fit on the IE8?

Mar 6, 2009 at 11:07 AM Post #2,512 of 8,119
Moseboy have you tried making your own custom tips? You can buy these foam eartips from your local drugstore for like $2. The make a hole with a screwdriver and voila you got your own comply tips.

I used them and it worked great but I recently reverted back to silicon tips because of the ease of insertion.

Mar 6, 2009 at 11:10 AM Post #2,513 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by montell /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Moseboy have you tried making your own custom tips? You can buy these foam eartips from your local drugstore for like $2. The make a hole with a screwdriver and voila you got your own comply tips.

I used them and it worked great but I recently reverted back to silicon tips because of the ease of insertion.

Hmmm. Sounds like the recipe for tips being left behind in the ear after removing the IEM. Be careful with these home made solutions!
redface.gif

Mar 6, 2009 at 11:29 AM Post #2,514 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by aimlink /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmmm. Sounds like the recipe for tips being left behind in the ear after removing the IEM. Be careful with these home made solutions!
redface.gif

Dont worry about that. The IE8 doesnt go deep enough to make it a problem. And these tips fits really snug as long as you make make the hole small enough and let the nozzle do the rest

Funny that you warn people about these home made solutions yet the foams supplied by sennheisers are even more dangerous then any other tips.

Mar 6, 2009 at 11:49 AM Post #2,515 of 8,119
Quote:

Dont worry about that. The IE8 doesnt go deep enough to make it a problem. And these tips fits really snug as long as you make make the hole small enough and let the nozzle do the rest

Funny that you warn people about these home made solutions yet the foams supplied by sennheisers are even more dangerous then any other tips.

Look Dude, you can speak only for the tips you make at home, not the ones that others would take your advice and make. So care needs to be taken. No? In the final analysis, you do what you wish.

If Sennheiser tips are not safe for the same reasons, I certainly wouldn't be endorsing their use either. I don't own Sennheisers yet and will be carefully appraising their tips for this issue.

Mar 6, 2009 at 11:51 AM Post #2,516 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by moseboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
moseboy (pronounced "mozie-boy").

Easy mistake, cuz nobody gets it, and nobody gets it cuz it's a lame name....

moseboy -> MOSEboy -> MSOE boy

But I agree with the other things you said
biggrin.gif

[size=medium]MOSEBOY[/size]

I[size=small] often refer to you simply as...[size=small]Moses[/size]. Would hope this is not too much of a big deal.

The only boys I would reference is Fatboy (Harley Davidson) and Boy George. I don't think a comparison to Boy George is something you would want. Please correct me if I am wrong though.

Then again, what is the deal with that Female Cat in your Avatar?[/size]
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 6, 2009 at 12:04 PM Post #2,517 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by aimlink /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Look Dude, you can speak only for the tips you make at home, not the ones that others would take your advice and make. So care needs to be taken. No? In the final analysis, you do what you wish.

If Sennheiser tips are not safe for the same reasons, I certainly wouldn't be endorsing their use either. I don't own Sennheisers yet and will be carefully appraising their tips for this issue.

I recommended it to him based on my experiences and the experiences of many head-fiers in this thread and for $2 what can you lose?
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/h...o-pics-383917/

If you dont even own these Sennheisers and have never made tips in this way then you shouldnt even be commenting at all. Let alone starting a flame war. Sure, because household items can never be safe and are always of low quality. Everything should be bought from brand names. I get what youre thinking

Sennheisers foam tips are safe because the IE8 is a shallow inserting iem. But these tips come of easier then any other tips I have tried.

Mar 6, 2009 at 12:10 PM Post #2,518 of 8,119
erm... did anyone hear my question?...

Mar 6, 2009 at 12:38 PM Post #2,519 of 8,119
Quote:

If you dont even own these Sennheisers and have never made tips in this way then you shouldnt even be commenting at all. Let alone starting a flame war. Sure, because household items can never be safe and are always of low quality. Everything should be bought from brand names. I get what youre thinking

Actually, you don't get what I'm thinking. You're simply being touchy about it and very object to criticism. Let's just let it it go because I'm genuinely averse to flame wars.
ph34r.gif

Mar 6, 2009 at 12:45 PM Post #2,520 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by dunnowho /img/forum/go_quote.gif
erm... did anyone hear my question?...

Mooseboy did!
bigsmile_face.gif

Sorry both of you, couldn't resist.
If I remember correctly, there are some experiences with adapted olives further back in this treat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back