Sennheiser IE8 Impressions Thread
Jun 25, 2010 at 2:25 PM Post #6,331 of 8,119
I've been debating selling mine lately after getting the FX700, Radius DDM, and SM3. I just know if I did decide to sell them, I'd probably regret it down the road like you do, but I really enjoy the other phones more and don't really have a need for them.

Perhaps if Null Audio would EVER come out with their upgrade cable for them! Grrrrrrrrrrrrr......

Jun 25, 2010 at 3:31 PM Post #6,332 of 8,119
Don't do it!!!  Keep them!  I had not been using my IE8s for about 3 months while I was listening to my TF10, then I was selected for the Monster Turbine Pro Copper review group so I have been listening to the MTPCs for the last few weeks.  I had planned on doing a IE8/TF10/MTPC comparison review as soon as I got a chance.  Earlier this week I grabbed the new Herbie Hancock - Imagine Project and was listening to it yesterday on my commute home.  My first thought was how spacious and ambient of a recording it was and that it should sound great on the IE8.  This morning I packed away the MTPC and grabbed my IE8.  All I can say is wow!  I knew already that the MTPC was not really in competition to be the king of soundstage but, did I say wow!  Sorry folks, parks closed, moose out front should have told ya!  The difference is being in the first few rows of a concert (MTPC) or being on stage next to Pink and Peter Gabriel (IE8).  I had considered selling my IE8s since I had not been using them and my wife was like "Didn't you just spend a boat load of money on them and then more to get custom ear molds, why would you sell them?".   So happy I still have them, they maybe be not suited for every genre I listen to, but certainly have their place and out of three IEM I own, they are my favorite. 

Jun 25, 2010 at 10:01 PM Post #6,333 of 8,119
I still need to get my custom molds...sigh.

Jun 25, 2010 at 10:22 PM Post #6,334 of 8,119

Quote:
I've been debating selling mine lately after getting the FX700, Radius DDM, and SM3. I just know if I did decide to sell them, I'd probably regret it down the road like you do, but I really enjoy the other phones more and don't really have a need for them.

Perhaps if Null Audio would EVER come out with their upgrade cable for them! Grrrrrrrrrrrrr......

I read a lot of good things as to IE8 soundstage being so wide and, in those versus reviews against fx700, fx700 soundstage being quite close to IE8. To my ears, the way fx700 presents vocals gives me impression that vocalist is in close proximity. As for instruments, I can imagine they are scattered; some are further, some are close. As I don't have IE8 to compare against fx700, I'm curious to know how does IE8 presents vocals? Do you feel like the person singing is really in close range or does it gives you an impression that you as an audience? I can see how recording can effect vocalist position but, as far as my music library concerns, with fx700, I feel like it is in close range.

Jun 25, 2010 at 10:29 PM Post #6,335 of 8,119

Quote:
I read a lot of good things as to IE8 soundstage being so wide and, in those versus reviews against fx700, fx700 soundstage being quite close to IE8. To my ears, the way fx700 presents vocals gives me impression that vocalist is in close proximity. As for instruments, I can imagine they are scattered; some are further, some are close. As I don't have IE8 to compare against fx700, I'm curious to know how does IE8 presents vocals? Do you feel like the person singing is really in close range or does it gives you an impression that you as an audience? I can see how recording can effect vocalist position but, as far as my music library concerns, with fx700, I feel like it is in close range.

I think you are asking about imaging.  An uncommonly used word around here for some reason.

Jun 25, 2010 at 10:32 PM Post #6,336 of 8,119

Quote:
I think you are asking about imaging.  An uncommonly used word around here for some reason.

Those audiophile jargon drive me crazy some times.
biggrin.gif

Jun 26, 2010 at 2:20 AM Post #6,337 of 8,119

Quote:
I still need to get my custom molds...sigh.

ACS finally just sent mine off from production so I'm awaiting my custom molds now :)

Jun 26, 2010 at 2:49 AM Post #6,338 of 8,119

Quote:
ACS finally just sent mine off from production so I'm awaiting my custom molds now :)

Keep us up to date.  I'm eyeing ACS as well atm.

Jun 26, 2010 at 3:16 AM Post #6,339 of 8,119

Quote:
Keep us up to date.  I'm eyeing ACS as well atm.

will do. the only thing I'm worried about is the fit issue that people seem to have and I hope I don't have to go through the same ordeal

Jun 26, 2010 at 3:21 AM Post #6,340 of 8,119

Quote:
will do. the only thing I'm worried about is the fit issue that people seem to have and I hope I don't have to go through the same ordeal

Should be more forgiving w/ silicone I imagine.

Jun 26, 2010 at 3:23 AM Post #6,341 of 8,119

Quote:
Should be more forgiving w/ silicone I imagine.

yeah, but quite a number of people who have done this with the IE8 have done refits. I'm praying hard I don't have to cos' my budget isn't going to stretch that far. lol.

Jun 27, 2010 at 1:57 PM Post #6,344 of 8,119
If you are using ACS any refits will be free. They were brilliant with me. One remould from the original impression, then a really nice guy, Adam, came to my house and did a second impression. After two goes from the new impression, I gave up. Life is too short and happily the standard tips suit me fine. I gave up but I got the impression
ksc75smile.gif
that ACS would have kept going. All for the original £90 or whatever it was that I paid.
FWIW, the tips did seem to me to make a very worthwhile difference to the 8's, so good luck!

Jun 27, 2010 at 2:05 PM Post #6,345 of 8,119

Quote:
If you are using ACS any refits will be free. They were brilliant with me. One remould from the original impression, then a really nice guy, Adam, came to my house and did a second impression. After two goes from the new impression, I gave up. Life is too short and happily the standard tips suit me fine. I gave up but I got the impression
ksc75smile.gif
that ACS would have kept going. All for the original £90 or whatever it was that I paid.
FWIW, the tips did seem to me to make a very worthwhile difference to the 8's, so good luck!

heh. thanks. that's encouraging. I probably would think that the refit cost on their side would be borne by them, but I will have to take a re-mold from my end, Australia and then likely have to pay for the shipping as well. I don't think they will cover overseas customers, but if they do kudos, either way, I'd go for one refit, but not a second I reckon if I have to foot the bill cos each impression costs me $50 a hit lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back