Sennheiser IE8 Impressions Thread
Mar 10, 2009 at 12:06 AM Post #2,731 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by Anouk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have owned these iems for 2 weeks, they have made me really interested in the future of (multiple driver) versions of this iem. I had severe fit issues though and one disturbing thing is that i always onted to turn the volume up to get th emost out of the sound of this iem. But its still the best sounding iem i have heard, although i got no seal with it so had to sell, also the highs might have been a bit more extended for my taste. But at the current selling price in europe they sre certainly a great deal, ifyou can get them to seal that is.
Greetings, Anouk,

Multi-driver dynamics? I guess it could be done, but with the advancements of single driver dynamics (and single driver BAs, the PFEs), the next generation of single driver IEMs excite me! I guess KISS works for me with IEMs.

Yes, hopefully since Sennheiser and Westone have great products they hopefully will place fit high on their priority list for their next gen.

Mar 10, 2009 at 12:12 AM Post #2,732 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edward Ng /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Having sampled what these dynamic driver IEMs can do, it makes me wonder how good the results can be if multiple technologies were combined; balanced armature for the highs, dynamic driver for the mids and lows, in a divided nozzle design (a la Triple.fi 10 Pro) with a 2-way crossover. That would not be too unlike some loudspeaker designs that use a ribbon tweeter and dynamic subs.

There already exist a product of your description, well sort of. The Super.fi 5 EB uses a single balanced armature for mids and highs and a 13.5mm dynamic driver for bass.

Mar 10, 2009 at 12:13 AM Post #2,733 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by walkingman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There already exist a product of your description, well sort of. The Super.fi 5 EB uses a single balanced armature for mids and highs and a 13.5mm dynamic driver for bass.

I noticed that, but going by the EB monicker, I am thinking it's an overly bass-heavy overall tone for me. A similar design that is more neutral could be close to ideal.

Plus, I just don't trust Ultimate Ears universal models for proper fit considering all my experience with those darn Triple.fi 10 Pros.

-Ed

Mar 10, 2009 at 12:43 AM Post #2,734 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by gameboy115 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Detailed review,Larry, really go through different genre of music,I appreciate it.

Remember in your Westone 3 thread, you rated bunch of high end IEM. As my memory is correct, you gave 9.5 for W3. Wonder what is IE 8 getting now?Does it at least trump stock 530 already?

I'll need to dig up my ranking, which changed when I added the ES3X as 10.0 and W3 as 9.5, as I can't recall all the rest below those without errors other than I gave everything else a 9.1 and lower.

Going from memory, I really did like the stock SE530 - I didn't think the highs were too rolled off and I liked the strong isolation and comfort with a deep insertion and black foam tips. My SE530 were later modded and put in a custom acrylic shell and tuned for less bass and more treble, so now they sound more similar to my Livewires and I can't make a valid comparison to the IE8.

I don't recall ever feeling the SE530 had too much bass like I sometimes do with the IE8. I don't ever recall feeling the SE530 mids were recessed or anything but rich and full sounding. I sometimes felt I needed more sparkle in the SE530 highs, while now there are some times where I feel the IE8 need to have the bite tamed in some music. That would mean I would possibly rank the SE530 above the IE8 if they were stock and I could compare the two - HOWEVER, the IE8 do add that weight and power to the music that the SE530 lacked when I compared them to the Westone 3 while they were still stock. So, that may give more weight to the IE8 in the ranking.

I will have a better idea of the IE8 rank when I complete my burn-in experiment at the promised 300 hours, and see where it stands with my Westone ES3X customs, Westpne 3, Livewires, SE530 customs and Freq Show customs and Phonak Audeo.

Mar 10, 2009 at 12:44 AM Post #2,735 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by obentou /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just came back to the IE8's after a long trade period with another headfier... I have definitely been spoiled by the sound the Westone 3's give out.

I think the IE8's are not for me after listening to the Westone's... they are on totally different leagues in terms of isolation and sound signature (that I want). I'll probably put them up for trade on the BST.

Edit: Also remembered I had the chance to try out some UE tips on the IE8. Pretty awful sound... stock tips work the best for me!

Sounds like you and I are arriving at opposite conclusions, then. While I grant you the IE8 is no match for the W3 with respect to isolation, I'm much preferring the IE8 overall, especially in terms of sound signature...and the medium, single-flange UE silicones are sounding great on it. Different strokes, eh?
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 10, 2009 at 2:12 AM Post #2,737 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by soozieq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm downloading it right now... 15 minutes remaining
biggrin.gif

..... from a link that works!!! Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Ha Ha, I followed the instructions, stupid drop box- knew it couldn't be that easy
popcorn.gif

Mar 10, 2009 at 3:15 AM Post #2,738 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll need to dig up my ranking, which changed when I added the ES3X as 10.0 and W3 as 9.5, as I can't recall all the rest below those without errors other than I gave everything else a 9.1 and lower.

Going from memory, I really did like the stock SE530 - I didn't think the highs were too rolled off and I liked the strong isolation and comfort with a deep insertion and black foam tips. My SE530 were later modded and put in a custom acrylic shell and tuned for less bass and more treble, so now they sound more similar to my Livewires and I can't make a valid comparison to the IE8.

I don't recall ever feeling the SE530 had too much bass like I sometimes do with the IE8. I don't ever recall feeling the SE530 mids were recessed or anything but rich and full sounding. I sometimes felt I needed more sparkle in the SE530 highs, while now there are some times where I feel the IE8 need to have the bite tamed in some music. That would mean I would possibly rank the SE530 above the IE8 if they were stock and I could compare the two - HOWEVER, the IE8 do add that weight and power to the music that the SE530 lacked when I compared them to the Westone 3 while they were still stock. So, that may give more weight to the IE8 in the ranking.

I will have a better idea of the IE8 rank when I complete my burn-in experiment at the promised 300 hours, and see where it stands with my Westone ES3X customs, Westpne 3, Livewires, SE530 customs and Freq Show customs and Phonak Audeo.

Thx.I am waiting the final vedict from you, Larry. One step away from getting new IEM for me, just want to hear your opinion of these high end iem, personally I prefer 530 and IE8 as I like warmer sound sig. Budget wise, PFE rules, but quite afraid it is too thin and bright, since I haven seen some thread making comparison for frequency response between Ep4s and PFE, they are so alike. Could imgine using grey filter my be too bright too me. If grey filter is making it like 530, I may jump on it already
darthsmile.gif

Mar 10, 2009 at 3:22 AM Post #2,739 of 8,119
Quote:

Could imgine using grey filter my be too bright too me. If grey filter is making it like 530, I may jump on it already
darthsmile.gif

In my very humble opinion, neither the grey nor the black filters will make them sound like the SE530. I had the E500 (which is the same as the SE530) and the sound signature is a lot warmer than the Phonaks, with quite a bit more bass.

Mar 10, 2009 at 3:35 AM Post #2,740 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by soozieq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In my very humble opinion, neither the grey nor the black filters will make them sound like the SE530. I had the E500 (which is the same as the SE530) and the sound signature is a lot warmer than the Phonaks, with quite a bit more bass.

oh, thanks for letting me know. It is really big dilemma for me choosing new IEM, as a current owner of 5 pro, I feel the seal is too easy to break for just strolling around.

Each big IEM has its own weakness, IE 8, Laidback, Poor ISO. Shure 530, roll off high, not as detail as others. Westone 3, seems great just too expensive for me. Triple Fi 10, too colored sound sig, fatigue for long time listening. PFE, too bright and lack of bass impact.

My ideal IEM, is a little warm( can't be too warm), Good ISO, comfort, good bass ,detailed,and within my budget. I think I am just too greedy, right....

Mar 10, 2009 at 3:40 AM Post #2,741 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by average_joe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Welcome, sorry for your wallet! What full sized are you looking at? I am questioning if a full sized would sound [much] better than the IE8s, unless I spend in the thousands. Also, I am second guessing needing an amp with the IE8s as they sound fantastic through my sound card amp and my Fuze has opened up recently, so there is synergy there also.

I'm still looking around for a superb full size. IE8 will be my portable phones and a full size will be something that I will use around the house
smily_headphones1.gif
I ordered iBasso D10 just a few days ago, I want to use the D10 through my optical on my MacBook. There are too much hiss from my Macbook, hopefully it will eliminate it.
smile_phones.gif

Mar 10, 2009 at 3:57 AM Post #2,742 of 8,119
Quote:

One step away from getting new IEM for me, just want to hear your opinion of these high end iem, personally I prefer 530 and IE8 as I like warmer sound sig.

If you're debating between getting the SE530 or the IE8, I have a few comments about each that may or may not help.

While the SE530s and the IE8s can be thought of as similar because they're both warmer earphones, they're still very different. Probably the biggest difference I see between them is the way each presents the mids. If you are considering the SE530, you have to like forward, in-your-face mids. This isn't a bad thing as the SE530 has fantastic mids: You just really have to enjoy and appreciate mids. If you're one to use a rock-like, U-shape EQ that drops the mids and accentuates the lows and the highs (especially the highs), the SE530 might not be for you.

At the same time, if you are considering the IE8, you have to like bass. I mean yeah, you can do some crazy stuff with the seal and the tips to lessen the lows, but that's not (in my opinion) how the IE8 was meant to sound. I wouldn't say the bass is definitely prominent, but it's just very much "there," whereas the mids are more laid back. Again, not to say this is a bad thing, because once the IE8 is burned in the bass is fantastic: tight, controlled and quite detailed.

Just a few things to think about. (Also remember this is coming from just me. Others may disagree with my comments, and I make no claim that my word is set in stone.)

Mar 10, 2009 at 4:11 AM Post #2,743 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by epithetless /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sounds like you and I are arriving at opposite conclusions, then. While I grant you the IE8 is no match for the W3 with respect to isolation, I'm much preferring the IE8 overall, especially in terms of sound signature...and the medium, single-flange UE silicones are sounding great on it. Different strokes, eh?
smily_headphones1.gif

Hey! You're getting on well with the UE medium singles too huh? I find they open up the treble a little over the stock foamies which were my favorite tip until I tried the UE's (or, Soamies, if you will). It's nice to know that there's a more than acceptable tip for purchase out there. Likewise, if you have any Sony EX single flange silicons around try them on the Turbines. I find they do wonders for them, but not for the IE8's. Strange what tip will work with what 'phone.

Mar 10, 2009 at 4:16 AM Post #2,744 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by moseboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you're debating between getting the SE530 or the IE8, I have a few comments about each that may or may not help.

While the SE530s and the IE8s can be thought of as similar because they're both warmer earphones, they're still very different. Probably the biggest difference I see between them is the way each presents the mids. If you are considering the SE530, you have to like forward, in-your-face mids. This isn't a bad thing as the SE530 has fantastic mids: You just really have to enjoy and appreciate mids. If you're one to use a rock-like, U-shape EQ that drops the mids and accentuates the lows and the highs (especially the highs), the SE530 might not be for you.

At the same time, if you are considering the IE8, you have to like bass. I mean yeah, you can do some crazy stuff with the seal and the tips to lessen the lows, but that's not (in my opinion) how the IE8 was meant to sound. I wouldn't say the bass is definitely prominent, but it's just very much "there," whereas the mids are more laid back. Again, not to say this is a bad thing, because once the IE8 is burned in the bass is fantastic: tight, controlled and quite detailed.

Just a few things to think about. (Also remember this is coming from just me. Others may disagree with my comments, and I make no claim that my word is set in stone.)

I am sure I like" in your face" type. Something brothers me more than how it present mid as I like to enjoy the overall presentation of music, it means the instruments are required to presented properly, nice separation and textured. As a matter of fact, I dun mind to sacrifice a little mid for leap instrument improvement.

How do you think 530 and IE8 for insturment?

Mar 10, 2009 at 4:21 AM Post #2,745 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by moseboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Well said, I might also add I consider the IE8 to sound fuller/bigger sounding then the se530 and with more treble and detail (after burn in). Of course YMMV. So are the mid/highs filling in at all?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back