Sennheiser HDVD800 Headphone Amplifier
Nov 15, 2013 at 1:23 AM Post #1,681 of 3,016
Update concerning my errorcode issue (0xef000011) while doing the HDVD800 firmware update:

Another user here mentioned, that after getting this error he had to send it back to Sennheiser. So I was really afraid that I have to send my HDVD from Singapore to Germany.  So I wanted to try something else first.

The failed update was done with an Windows 8 computer. So I just tried it again with a windows 7 computer... and guess what, now it worked successfully! Hooray, that's it!

Before I found that simple solution, I had asked Sennheiser for support via the contact-form on their web-page. Just after the update was successful, they answered my mail and gave me a phone number to call a service-engineer directly. Well it was not necessary anymore now, but still I would rate that a quite good service!

Nov 21, 2013 at 9:37 PM Post #1,682 of 3,016
  Nope, (as I understand)

They couldn't care less about the outputs that they nor even list them in the tech. specifications:

Technical Data

Technical Data and Specification of HDVD 800 Article No. 505590

Dimensions(W x H x D): approx. 216 mm x 55 mm x 324 mm
Frequency response0.3 Hz to 100 kHz (-3 dB)
THD, total harmonic distortion< -110 dB (1 kHz / maximum gain)
Weight2,2 Kg
Audio inputAnalogue input XLR-3 : Max. input voltage 20 dBV / Input impedance 10 kOhm
Analogue input RCA: Max. input voltage (eff) 14 dBV / Input impedance 10 kOhm
Digital SPDIF (RCA): Max. sampling frequency 192 kHz /AES3-compatible) / Max. resolution 24 bit
Digital SPDIF (TosLink): Max. sampling frequency: 192 kHz (AES3-compatible) Max. resolution: 24 bit
Digital AES/EBU (XLR-3): Max. sampling frequency: 192 kHz (AES3-compatible) / Max. resolution: 24 bit

They certainly don't seem to care about the accuracy of their advertising either. They still haven't corrected this after all this time!?!?

The S/PDIF optical input (TOSlink) canNOT handle anything over 88.2 kHz. The only place in the world that seems to have this documented correctly is in the actual manual that you get with the unit AFTER YOU BUY IT! In fact, It seems to me that I remember some discussion a ways back where someone tried a high bit rate input on the S/PDIF coaxial input and saw the same problem as with the S/PDIF optical input (you tend to get random clicking noises in the output at those speeds)

Also, every Sennheiser dealer that I've talked with has had no clue about the hiss issue needing the FW update. Sennheiser has kept them all in the dark too.

- Jeff

Nov 21, 2013 at 9:48 PM Post #1,683 of 3,016
  I'm sorry If I have missed that, but does HDVD800 work as a regular pre amplifier?

As has been pointed out by others here, no, all you can use it for is a switch box and DAC. Basically, everything that you can select by the knob on the front panel can be routed to the XLR output (including the unblanced inputs which are converted to balanced before outputting). Unfortunately, the volume knob right next to selection knob DOESN'T work when using the XLR outputs.

Note that although this seems a bit strange that you can't do this, the design of a quality preamp section and a quality headphone amp are different so adding the preamp capability to the HDV800 would have required some extra parts and switching. Amps like the Conductor use some special circuitry that will change some of its operating characteristics when switched in as a preamp instead of a headphone amp.

- Jeff.

Nov 22, 2013 at 8:25 PM Post #1,684 of 3,016
Just recieved the Sennheiser balanced cable today, and I'm now running the HD800 in total balanced mode. Right now I'm using the Schitt Mjolnir amp with a Sony XA5400ES cd/sacd player and it's balanced outputs. I plan to buy the HDVD800 amp in January to have a total Sennheiser setup.

Nov 22, 2013 at 8:32 PM Post #1,685 of 3,016
Just recieved the Sennheiser balanced cable today, and I'm now running the HD800 in total balanced mode. Right now I'm using the Schitt Mjolnir amp with a Sony XA5400ES cd/sacd player and it's balanced outputs. I plan to buy the HDVD800 amp in January to have a total Sennheiser setup.

Should be a nice upgrade, hd800s arn't a great match with the mjol imo

Nov 23, 2013 at 6:19 PM Post #1,690 of 3,016
How much was the damage?
wink.gif

Nov 26, 2013 at 2:21 AM Post #1,694 of 3,016

icaramba!

Yea, that's why it's a far better deal to buy a pair of Neutrix connectors for around $20 and solder them on yourself. Electrically it is identical to the $369 version. You just don't end up with an extra unbalance version laying around and never being used again :)

Remember, it's not the cable that is making the difference, it's the ability to use the HDVD800 in its fully balanced configuration that it was originally designed to be run in.

Nov 27, 2013 at 10:54 PM Post #1,695 of 3,016

As has been pointed out by others here, no, all you can use it for is a switch box and DAC. Basically, everything that you can select by the knob on the front panel can be routed to the XLR output (including the unblanced inputs which are converted to balanced before outputting). Unfortunately, the volume knob right next to selection knob DOESN'T work when using the XLR outputs.

Note that although this seems a bit strange that you can't do this, the design of a quality preamp section and a quality headphone amp are different so adding the preamp capability to the HDV800 would have required some extra parts and switching. Amps like the Conductor use some special circuitry that will change some of its operating characteristics when switched in as a preamp instead of a headphone amp.

- Jeff.

Unbalanced inputs are converted to balanced? So there's no reason to use an outboard phase splitter to convert unbalanced RCA signal to balanced XLR? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back