Sennheiser HD820
Nov 2, 2023 at 2:25 PM Post #4,291 of 4,387
Say no more.:sunglasses:
IMG_8736.jpeg
no joke my friend did that with his grados and the static electricity somehow fried his set. they never worked again. we didn't hear anything or see anything unusual when the set was sitting on the ball, but he calls me up the next day pissed off saying they were dead. no buzzing no nothing. we checked the internals, wasn't a loose solder joint or anything visibly wrong with them. but they didn't work. a relatively cheap grado 80 isn't too terrible of a loss, but i'd hate to see your 820 suffer a similar fate.

Nov 2, 2023 at 3:39 PM Post #4,295 of 4,387
Last edited:
Nov 2, 2023 at 4:46 PM Post #4,297 of 4,387
Fantastic!! Even better Amazon.de my next order from Amazon :beerchug:
My son is currently studying in Brussels but I order books for him from A.de, fastest shipping. :wink:

Just a note...believe the link is for tinted glass, red or blue, mine is actually clear.

Second note....
no joke my friend did that with his grados and the static electricity somehow fried his set.
This is quite possible if fingers and metal are involved, can form an electrical ark outside of the ball.:fire:⚡

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2023 at 6:36 PM Post #4,299 of 4,387
I am listening with a different headset, but I did find the various female vocals for this band great, so feel free to talk about how this song sounds on the HD820:

Dec 14, 2023 at 10:27 AM Post #4,300 of 4,387
Here's where the HD820 for me show their "raison d'être", as a closed back headphone there's an immersiveness that I find hard or impossible to duplicate with my other phones on hand, as the bass gets denser one's itching to turn the volume up and it works, almost putting one in the dance hall, there's a deep wall of sound but the separate element in the music are still distinct......with the HD800S or the Hd660S2, while sounding fine one becomes more aware of listening to headphones.
https://listen.tidal.com/album/123270315
Screenshot 2023-12-14 at 10.15.01 AM.png

Dec 14, 2023 at 2:07 PM Post #4,301 of 4,387
I had recent meetings with both. I haven't used them for a while. I also found out a bit more about HD820 and HD800S.

My wife bought a 3 CD pack of Tina Turner. I hadn't listened to her music for a while and was excited.

I started with HD820, but it didn't come out well. Highs were too piercing; Tina's voice is that kind of voice...it's hiiiiigh, but at the same time, it's gooood.
But no, it just didn't work; I had to lower the volume so I could stand the voice, but then the whole energy came down...

Tina and her music are pure energy; you can't do that, it's an insult!!

Then I took HD800S, and I didn't expect what I got. I thought if HD820 are sharp with highs, then HD800S would be even worse.

But what happened was the opposite! While HD820 sounded like a V-shape, HD800S sound was nicely balanced and mellow. Tina's voice, as it was high, suddenly got some silkiness. The pleasure of listening came again...it was great! HD820 with Tina was almost lifeless, and with HD800S was full of life and body!

The next day, I used HD820 and listened to Drum&Bass, and HD820 were again so good!

Until now, I thought that HD820 were an all-rounder, but they are not. The best way is to use both; they are so good as a pair.

Cheers!

Dec 14, 2023 at 3:11 PM Post #4,302 of 4,387
Until now, I thought that HD820 were an all-rounder, but they are not.
So far for me yes, but I listen to very little music with central vocalist, male or female, but I'll give Tina a listen.
The best way is to use both; they are so good as a pair.
And I do.
Just recently though I have been using some Beyerdynamic Amiron Home and have to admit that both the HD800S & 820 are much more forward, might be age but the Amiron are very smooth for me, the staging though is more at arms length and not like the HD6xx series.......
which is mostly in the head and intimate and why I believe they're so popular.
Screenshot 2023-12-14 at 3.01.33 PM.png
:champagne_glass:

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2023 at 1:41 PM Post #4,304 of 4,387
I have posted this previously on this thread, but i just got these again for probably the fourth time haha.

I STRONGLY recommend anyone wanting a more balanced midrange, specifically with less low mids muddiness to look into the dekoni velour pads.

really balances out the frequency response- I actually also use half of a foam ring that came with my AKG K712 as well, but thats more to tame the highs slightly.

when i listen with the stock pads i get pretty bothered by the lower mids/upper bass thats just a little too much and gets congested. the dekoni velour fix this completely without making the rest of the signature bright, like the dekoni fenestrated did

its worth it if the lower mids bother you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back