Sennheiser HD820
Apr 22, 2018 at 8:41 PM Post #1,201 of 4,370
Thank you for your impressions. That does have me a bit concerned, especially in regards to the suffocating soundstage as that is one of the most irritating traits a headphone can have for me. Definitely going to have listen to them myself sometime preferably on multiple systems and see if I share similar impressions or not.

Yeah, to be more precise (and fair), it's not so much that it's closed in, but that maybe I'm used to HD800/S and I was expecting the 820 to somewhat match that. HD820 still had a "normal" soundstage compared to most other closed-back headphones that I can remember, and at least it wasn't as suffocating as some of the worst case. Just that it wasn't amazing.

I wrote down in my notes that the midrange of the HD820 sounded like it was somewhat in my head, and yet there were passages that sounded like it was echoing from somewhere nearby, as if there was a wall right there. Bass also couldn't escape past my head like HD800/S and so I found most bass notes to lack dimensionality. Then on the last note that I wrote, height was lacking because certain instruments didn't seem to ring out as much as they did with HD800. Cymbals had the sharp initial hit (more so than HD800), but lacked the ringing tail part.

Apr 22, 2018 at 9:15 PM Post #1,202 of 4,370
Thanks for the impressions. I like closed cans and I am not a fan of the the HD-800, so may end up liking the 820, but at the suggested price they better surpass Mr. Speakers, ZMF, Sony etc etc. by a mile. Don't think that will be the case, will see.

Apr 22, 2018 at 9:50 PM Post #1,203 of 4,370
Yeah. I know I'm a polarizing person, too. I like HD600. HD650 is a bit too... bassy but I like the refined treble (but dislike the lack of it). HD660S to me was also pretty bad (too closed-in sounding), so that's that.
Thank you for your input regarding the HD820. I was looking forward to a potential closed version of the HD800s sound but, if your findings are any indication, it may not be forthcoming in the 820.

I found your comments on the HD600/650 also interesting. We hear a lot about headphones with refined treble but excess bass. And if you took away the excess bass, the refined treble would probably go out the window as well. I think that often excess bass soaks up some of the excess treble, leaving just the right amount. Conversely, excess treble could alleviate some extra bass by brightening the overall picture up a bit. So you can't win.

Apr 23, 2018 at 9:17 AM Post #1,204 of 4,370
...but also totally predictable. :D I don't know any headphones which garner 100% positive opinion.

It happens quite often here, I'd like the professional influencers would indicate it in their profile...

Apr 23, 2018 at 9:31 AM Post #1,205 of 4,370
Yeah. I know I'm a polarizing person, too. I like HD600. HD650 is a bit too... bassy but I like the refined treble (but dislike the lack of it). HD660S to me was also pretty bad (too closed-in sounding), so that's that.

Just that I think that at the price point of the HD820, Senn should be held to a much higher standard than any headphone before. It costs almost $1000 more than the HD800S now (Amazon currently has HD800S for ~$1550).

Here are some specific things that I think can be improved with the HD820:

1. Bass: it's a little cloudy/confused/boomy, and actually lacking in impact to me. Going back to HD800 from HD820 scared the hell out of me. It sounded like the HD820 was missing out on certain parts of the middle and upper bass regions. Sub bass was decent but very loose and uncontrolled. I guess this echoes how someone said that Sennheiser wanted to improve upon the HD820's bass.

2. Midrange sounded good to me but a little too closed-in, and a little too reverberant. Not sure if this is due to the closed-back design, but I get this effect too when I try to enclose the HD800's rear side (the grilles) with my hands.

3. Treble was good but lacking as well, and there was a region in the lower treble, or maybe it's just the upper mid, that really stood out. It's at a lower frequency than the peak on the HD800, which is already annoying enough on specific tracks. Here, the HD820 is just annoying to me on everything. John also noted that the HD820 sounded bright to him, and I think he's also hearing this.

4. Soundstage was very boxed in and suffocating. Granted, it's a closed headphone, but many have been saying that the HD820 "retains a bit of the HD800/S soundstage" so I guess I expected too much. In any case, it's closed-in sounding to me, and not very different from most other closed-back headphones. Some IEMs, including my Campfire Andromeda, do sound like they have a bigger soundstage.

So those are my chief complaints with the HD820.
May I read your full review please?

Apr 23, 2018 at 12:34 PM Post #1,206 of 4,370
I respect your view on the HD820 but disagree. It is a different can than the HD800S in ways. It has similar high end that is bright enough without harshness. I'm treble sensitive so that is a bigger deal for me. Those who prefer more treble or who are less sensitive to it may think it's not bright enough. I didn't find any missing details or bothersome peaks. I also heard a cleaner midrange than most closed cans. No resonance or echo, and that can often bother me as much as too much high end. That was the first thing I listened for and was glad I didn't notice that. Could that have been something I'd hear if I heard the same song you did? Perhaps, some have more mids than others. Low mids and mid bass were where they should be, not totally 'flat' since that can make cans sound thin or less punchy. I didn't find the sub bass slow or lacking. I couldn't use my ideal test tracks but the tracks they played made it so I felt these cans were clearly lacking in no big way in anything. They had good, proper stereo placement. Wider than almost all closed cans I've heard, I didn't expect the openness of the HD800S and if I want it, then I'd just get the HD800S. It's considered by many the most spacious of all open dynamic cans, so it's a high bar to expect the closed HD820 to jump over. Incredible comfort, even with larger heads, light weight, and decent isolation. Some isolate better, some worse, to me these are average in that regard. They're trying hard to "please everyone" with this and will find the headphones go get close to that I think, but not everyone will be on board. I don't know if it will be that polarizing. My only issue is price. I sincerely hope it trickles down to a closed HD700, maybe HD650 (for a brighter, and duller closed option to this at a lower price). Actually, having heard the HD660S, a closed version of that, with more spaciousness and bass, would be for most a welcome thing, especially if it's in the same price range. Should this set take off in sales which I think it will there is that possibility, although it could take a few years to arrive for us.

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2018 at 12:52 PM Post #1,207 of 4,370
Yeah, to be more precise (and fair), it's not so much that it's closed in, but that maybe I'm used to HD800/S and I was expecting the 820 to somewhat match that. HD820 still had a "normal" soundstage compared to most other closed-back headphones that I can remember, and at least it wasn't as suffocating as some of the worst case. Just that it wasn't amazing.

I wrote down in my notes that the midrange of the HD820 sounded like it was somewhat in my head, and yet there were passages that sounded like it was echoing from somewhere nearby, as if there was a wall right there. Bass also couldn't escape past my head like HD800/S and so I found most bass notes to lack dimensionality. Then on the last note that I wrote, height was lacking because certain instruments didn't seem to ring out as much as they did with HD800. Cymbals had the sharp initial hit (more so than HD800), but lacked the ringing tail part.

Hmm, interesting. I’m curious what the final tuning will be like. Your notes does give a good idea what it sounded like to you. I’m familiar with the HD 800/800S, not very but enough to know what they sound like and to know your point of reference. I may view things differently only time will tell. What were your test tracks out of curiosity?

Apr 23, 2018 at 1:55 PM Post #1,208 of 4,370
Good to know different opinions. May be it is not as good as expected.

Even Axel told that this headphone targets a asian market where people don't have private room to enjoy an openback. What I can read between the lines is that even he is reluctant to argue ardently that it is their new flagship, hd820 may not be as good in absolute terms.

I hope it exceeds our expectations, but most likely outcomes at this point seem to be not that promising.

Apr 23, 2018 at 2:19 PM Post #1,209 of 4,370
Right now I'm very happy with my HD800S/Z1R combo, but I'm very curious to see how the HD820 sounds. If it can surpass the Z1Rs in terms of soundstage and dynamics, I'll sell the ZIRs, and make the HD820 my go-to closed back. But that's a tall order, even judging by the early reviews.

Apr 23, 2018 at 2:53 PM Post #1,210 of 4,370
Right now I'm very happy with my HD800S/Z1R combo, but I'm very curious to see how the HD820 sounds. If it can surpass the Z1Rs in terms of soundstage and dynamics, I'll sell the ZIRs, and make the HD820 my go-to closed back. But that's a tall order, even judging by the early reviews.
The Z1R's are outstanding headphones IMO. From the early reviews it doesn't seem like the HD820's are going to be able to match the Z1R's bass output. But we'll see here soon enough.

Apr 23, 2018 at 4:43 PM Post #1,211 of 4,370
The Z1R's are outstanding headphones IMO. From the early reviews it doesn't seem like the HD820's are going to be able to match the Z1R's bass output. But we'll see here soon enough.

Maybe not everyone wants the kind of elevated bass that the Z1R outputs. I hope the 820 has less roll off below 100 hz down to 20 hz but I don’t want bloat.

Apr 23, 2018 at 6:07 PM Post #1,212 of 4,370
Maybe not everyone wants the kind of elevated bass that the Z1R outputs. I hope the 820 has less roll off below 100 hz down to 20 hz but I don’t want bloat.
Elevated bass?

Apr 23, 2018 at 7:06 PM Post #1,213 of 4,370
2FEE42FD-77E2-4899-8653-6E288E04AB95.png
Elevated bass?

Maybe you disagree. You don’t think the Z1R’s bass is fairly north of neutral?

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2018 at 7:38 PM Post #1,214 of 4,370

Maybe you disagree. You don’t think the Z1R’s bass is fairly north of neutral?
The Z1R's bass is definitely above neutral but it is clean, extended and blends well with the rest of the frequency spectrum of the headphone. Do you like the bass on the HD800S's or the original HD800's better?

Apr 23, 2018 at 7:58 PM Post #1,215 of 4,370
The Z1R's bass is definitely above neutral but it is clean, extended and blends well with the rest of the frequency spectrum of the headphone. Do you like the bass on the HD800S's or the original HD800's better?
Just forget about this so called neutrality issue. If you sit nearer to the drum or double bass during a live in the real world you also get more bass, this doesn't affect the music at all so long as it's clean and well extended.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back