Sennheiser HD820
Jan 21, 2018 at 4:58 PM Post #646 of 4,379
can't wait to listen to these
a touch more bass seems to make the sound a bit thicker (?) i hope so..

this'll be a good complement to Utopia owners I guess

I wouldn't be able to give a more detailed review as to the subtleties of the sound since they only had tracks that aren't in my personal reference playlist. Also, if the tuning isn't complete, they may end up sounding a bit different upon release.

The 820 is the most impressive closed back set I've heard. I got a chance to listen to the Z1R and LCD-XC that same day and the 820 was easily my favorite. If I didn't own the Utopia, I would probably wait and get the 820 since my wife has demon ears -- she can hear the Utopia when she's upstairs with the bedroom door closed -- and the Utopia now lives at my office. However, I prefer the dynamic sound of the Utopia over anything I've heard so far that wouldn't result in my murder at the hands of my aforementioned wife.

Jan 21, 2018 at 5:53 PM Post #647 of 4,379
I wouldn't be able to give a more detailed review as to the subtleties of the sound since they only had tracks that aren't in my personal reference playlist. Also, if the tuning isn't complete, they may end up sounding a bit different upon release.

The 820 is the most impressive closed back set I've heard. I got a chance to listen to the Z1R and LCD-XC that same day and the 820 was easily my favorite. However, I prefer the dynamic sound of the Utopia over anything I've heard so far

right, too early to speculate.

I do have the Z1R but the sibilance was really an issue for me so I couldn't really use them. I did hear the XC but didn't really like the sound.

I've no doubts on the 820 because of how I really love the technicalities and the enveloping soundstage of the 800/S. I plan to use them with my Hugo 2.
The issue I had with those was still it sounded sibilant to me.

I am on the same boat with the Utopia. I still prefer them over any HP I've auditioned.

Though, I've yet to hear these HPs on a powerful desktop amp to hear their full potential.

Jan 21, 2018 at 7:16 PM Post #648 of 4,379
I wouldn't be able to give a more detailed review as to the subtleties of the sound since they only had tracks that aren't in my personal reference playlist. Also, if the tuning isn't complete, they may end up sounding a bit different upon release. The 820 is the most impressive closed back set I've heard. I got a chance to listen to the Z1R and LCD-XC that same day and the 820 was easily my favorite. If I didn't own the Utopia, I would probably wait and get the 820 since my wife has demon ears -- she can hear the Utopia when she's upstairs with the bedroom door closed -- and the Utopia now lives at my office. However, I prefer the dynamic sound of the Utopia over anything I've heard so far that wouldn't result in my murder at the hands of my aforementioned wife.

Nice pictures. Thanks for posting. Liked "I learned the increase in cost is due to several factors" part best. Sounds (to me) a justification of pricing. Most TOTL headphone manufacturers would not even bother. Big S creator of HD650/600/800/800s and now another possible classic - HD820. Focal needs to get a move on with their TOTL dynamic closed headphone.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2018 at 7:39 PM Post #649 of 4,379
I'm a little late to the party but I got a chance to listen to the HD820 at CES and talk to Axel Grell about them. The show floor is not the best place for auditioning headphones but did serve as a good spot to hear the difference in isolation between the 820 and 800s.

The 820 sounds a lot like the 800s. They are just as detailed and resolving. There seemed to be a touch more bass as expected but it could have been because the 820 is way more isolating. At a reasonable volume, I could barely hear the background noise and at higher volumes, I couldn't hear anything but the music. With the 800 you could hear everything even at high volumes.

The soundstage on the 820 is the widest I've heard on closed back sets. I'd say it compares favorably to the Utopia. Maybe a bit more expansive. It's not as wide as the 800s. When I remarked on the wide soundstage to Axel, he said, "Well, that was the challenge. To recreate the sound with the closed back design."

Sounds promising, thank you!
A question about the soundstage though. From what you wrote it seems the soundsatge is much closer to the Utopias than the HD800S. As the Utopia isn't expansive at all I was expecting a bigger soundstage, even close to HD800S. Any more detail you can give on soundstage?

Jan 21, 2018 at 8:02 PM Post #650 of 4,379
Nice pictures. Thanks for posting. Liked "I learned the increase in cost is due to several factors" part best. Sounds (to me) a justification of pricing. Most TOTL headphone manufacturers would not even bother. Big S creator of HD650/600/800/800s and now another possible classic - HD820. Focal needs to get a move on with their TOTL dynamic closed headphone.
Really the Focal Spirit Classic whilst not being anywhere expensive enough :) to be considered 'TOTL" is a superbly dynamic and natural sounding closed headphone. Heartbreaking build issues though:frowning2:

Jan 21, 2018 at 8:08 PM Post #651 of 4,379
The soundstage on the 820 is the widest I've heard on closed back sets. I'd say it compares favorably to the Utopia.

Thanks for the impressions.

I understand that the technology involved in this is very high-end and it is very difficult to match an open-back. But for a closed-back HD800 - which is basically what they are selling it as - to have a soundstage as expansive as the Utopia, is really bad news imo.

Jan 21, 2018 at 8:33 PM Post #652 of 4,379
Sounds promising, thank you!
A question about the soundstage though. From what you wrote it seems the soundsatge is much closer to the Utopias than the HD800S. As the Utopia isn't expansive at all I was expecting a bigger soundstage, even close to HD800S. Any more detail you can give on soundstage?

I think the Utopia presents a pretty good soundstage. To me, it seems that opinions go too far the other way because it doesn't meet the lofty expectations of perfection that people have at the price point.

To me, the Utopia sounds like you're sitting in the 5th row at a concert hall. The 800s sounds like you're at the conductor's podium. The 820 might put you in the front row.

Jan 21, 2018 at 8:43 PM Post #653 of 4,379
I think the Utopia presents a pretty good soundstage. To me, it seems that opinions go too far the other way because it doesn't meet the lofty expectations of perfection that people have at the price point.

To me, the Utopia sounds like you're sitting in the 5th row at a concert hall. The 800s sounds like you're at the conductor's podium. The 820 might put you in the front row.

What? Are you saying the Utopia has a larger soundstage than the 800 and the 820 is between the Utopia and 800/800S? Because that’s bonkers if you are. I’ve heard the Utopia and own the 800S and the Senns destroy the Utopia in soundstage.

Jan 21, 2018 at 8:51 PM Post #654 of 4,379
What? Are you saying the Utopia has a larger soundstage than the 800 and the 820 is between the Utopia and 800/800S? Because that’s bonkers if you are. I’ve heard the Utopia and own the 800S and the Senns destroy the Utopia in soundstage.
Have you been to a classical concert? The closer you are to the orchestra the wider apart the instruments are from your seat. The conductor's podium is as close as you get and still hear the music coherently. When I close my eyes while listening to these cans, these seats are where I place myself in relation to the instruments.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2018 at 9:14 PM Post #655 of 4,379
I'm on the hype train here. But here is what worries me. I understand the cost due to the research in development but using the same driver as a hd800 and not making a new improved driver unit scares me. I have a z1r which I love. And the thought of the hd820 not having a good bass extension scares me. Also to me this looks like a hd800 in new clothing which owning a hd800S I really can't wrap my head around spending the money on these if you already own a z1r and a hd800S I also find to my ears that the hd800 is fautiging unlike the z1r which is not fautiguing at all.

Jan 21, 2018 at 10:12 PM Post #656 of 4,379

The 820 is the most impressive closed back set I've heard. I got a chance to listen to the Z1R and LCD-XC that same day and the 820 was easily my favorite. If I didn't own the Utopia, I would probably wait and get the 820 since my wife has demon ears -- she can hear the Utopia when she's upstairs with the bedroom door closed -- and the Utopia now lives at my office. However, I prefer the dynamic sound of the Utopia over anything I've heard so far that wouldn't result in my murder at the hands of my aforementioned wife.

6014F097-08DC-482A-B69C-ECF1AFACC1DC.jpeg

It’s not murder, but the endless sound of something like power tools.

Jan 22, 2018 at 12:17 AM Post #657 of 4,379

Have you been to a classical concert? The closer you are to the orchestra the wider apart the instruments are from your seat. The conductor's podium is as close as you get and still hear the music coherently. When I close my eyes while listening to these cans, these seats are where I place myself in relation to the instruments.

d7fe90cb4cc7291d3b4f2b7c83015bb8.590x318x1-2.jpg

Jan 22, 2018 at 1:46 AM Post #658 of 4,379

Sounds a lot better, exactly what I needed to hear, thanks!

Jan 22, 2018 at 4:10 AM Post #660 of 4,379
I think a closed back version of a classic isn't that bad of a idea. Though not groundbreaking it is indeed a step in the right direction for today's on the go society. I don't get to stay at home as often as I would like so having these on flights would be a nice treat in the office to especially. Now how long can the plastic on this unit hold up to that on the go abuse is yet to be seen. But I do hope all goes well.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back