Sennheiser HD820
Jan 16, 2018 at 5:54 AM Post #616 of 4,379
As an owner of both the HD800S and the Z1R, I actually expect the HD820 to be a very different animal compared to the Z1R. I for one am very keen to see how this pans out.
i don't speculate about these things as a rule but i'll go out on a limb here and agree with you. i expect the hd820 to be a very different sounding headphone to the z1r.

Jan 16, 2018 at 7:37 AM Post #617 of 4,379
i don't speculate about these things as a rule but i'll go out on a limb here and agree with you. i expect the hd820 to be a very different sounding headphone to the z1r.

That is certainly my expectation as well, would be very surprised if they are close in sound sig

Jan 16, 2018 at 5:26 PM Post #618 of 4,379
''They sound bass light to me'' - Tyll Hertsens

leaving-now-grandpa-simpsons.gif

Jan 16, 2018 at 5:52 PM Post #619 of 4,379
Last edited:
Jan 17, 2018 at 12:28 AM Post #621 of 4,379
Jan 17, 2018 at 2:46 AM Post #623 of 4,379
They both said the same thing. Most people who have heard them have said that they are bass light.
If the Hd820 are bass light like an hd800/800s they have probably perfect amount of bass (at least for me :p). And I suspect that they have slightly more bass than their open siblings, as Axel Grell makes always sincere comments about how his creations are tuned.
It's probably a mix of Tyll's ever more warm sounding headphones desire, and others' brain expectations for a closed headphone.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2018 at 9:02 AM Post #625 of 4,379
If the Hd820 are bass light like an hd800/800s they have probably perfect amount of bass (at least for me :p). And I suspect that they have slightly more bass than their open siblings, as Axel Grell makes always sincere comments about how his creations are tuned.
It's probably a mix of Tyll's ever more warm sounding headphones desire, and others' brain expectations for a closed headphone.
I think this about sums it up for me. Also consider that these are new pads, different pads, that may soften up with use. This would also have the potential to alter the sound.

If I want lots of bass (which I usually don't) there are plenty of other headphones I can reach for.

Jan 17, 2018 at 9:14 AM Post #626 of 4,379
I think this about sums it up for me. Also consider that these are new pads, different pads, that may soften up with use. This would also have the potential to alter the sound.

If I want lots of bass (which I usually don't) there are plenty of other headphones I can reach for.

Yeah I had that too suspicion. I feel like most of the audible change could be caused from the different pads. I recently changed the pads on my HD800S (not stock pad) and it affected the sound more than I anticipated. Of course this is just a suspicion but when the HD820 comes out, maybe someone will try it's pad on the HD800S and see what happens.

Jan 17, 2018 at 9:55 AM Post #627 of 4,379
Yeah I had that too suspicion. I feel like most of the audible change could be caused from the different pads. I recently changed the pads on my HD800S (not stock pad) and it affected the sound more than I anticipated. Of course this is just a suspicion but when the HD820 comes out, maybe someone will try it's pad on the HD800S and see what happens.
Moreover, in the hd800/800s pads adaption and proper "sealing" (pads have to seal on your head without holes, i.e. at the bottom, given the hd800 are really big in this terms) do quite a difference in bass quality, body and extension. This is rarely reported, maybe because it's an open headphone, but it's real.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2018 at 10:27 AM Post #628 of 4,379
Here is some video footage from Hardware Canucks About a new Sennheiser Gaming headset and the Sennheiser HD820:

Jan 17, 2018 at 10:38 AM Post #629 of 4,379
Guess it does have the same drivers then... lol.

Still going to keep my preorder. If they’re not worth it after listening to them for a few days, I’ll just return them I guess.

Jan 18, 2018 at 2:22 AM Post #630 of 4,379
In Tyll's video with Sennheiser's sales rep he said that the headphones were a bit bass light, but that these were pre-production samples and that the final tuning had not yet been decided, so until the first production units come out I guess that we won't know how the product will be like. The first impressions seem to be that they have tried to approach the open back variant sound (800s) in a closed back design.

Moreover what seems to be interesting is another thing that's shown in the video, the structure have openings surrounding the driver so part of the sound coming from the rear of the driver gets redirected back to the front, which may cancel bass a bit, but it may open possibilities for modding, for example covering all of part of them and altering the tuning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back