Sennheiser HD800 vs. Hifiman HE-6
Jun 9, 2012 at 5:01 PM Post #76 of 79
Alright just did Gateways from Abrahadabra, I guess around 3:20 is when it gets busiest.  All the kick drums, guitars, high hats are separated easily.  Honestly, the song is a little slow for the HD800 and it begs for more tbh.  Children of Bodom gets picked apart cleanly but the imagining on the masters is pretty soft, the tracks are not mastered very well.  This is all via youtube which sounds god awful on my rig.

I'd recommend Limpbizkit, 'Take a look around' where the cymbal crashes want to collapse into each other.  They should be rendered clean and not as a wall of noise.  Also Green Days, 'American Idiot' is very clean and images/separates everything beautifully at all times.  You should be able to pick out every note on each instrument on the track.  The HD800 handles both beautifully and cleanly picking the pieces apart and not blobbing things up.  Use wave files or flac if you can.

The first part of that mostly makes me wonder if we are either not talking about the same thing, or you somehow have a different/somehow worse version of the tracks? I listening to the actual CDs through a Thule cd player, and the drums in most of Dimmu Borgir's track tend to speed up to a point where the T1 seems to mostly just give up on making it actual kicks, so much as just sort of bumps in the sound - the HD800 while being a liiitle bit light seems to have pretty much no problem at all... But apart from that... :p

Jun 9, 2012 at 5:09 PM Post #77 of 79
Quote:
The first part of that mostly makes me wonder if we are either not talking about the same thing, or you somehow have a different/somehow worse version of the tracks? I listening to the actual CDs through a Thule cd player, and the drums in most of Dimmu Borgir's track tend to speed up to a point where the T1 seems to mostly just give up on making it actual kicks, so much as just sort of bumps in the sound - the HD800 while being a liiitle bit light seems to have pretty much no problem at all...But apart from that... :p

I made no comment on how the T1 does, just that the HD800 had no issues w/ the track at all.  Sounds like what you said so I'm not sure where the confusion is.

Jun 9, 2012 at 5:58 PM Post #79 of 79
Quote:
I know, It was just all the talk about the tracks being too slow or badly recorded or something that really confuzzled me :)

Lol, I'm sure I made it sound worse than it was.  I'm used to a lot of audiophile and binaural stuff w/ perfect micing and mastering that would put most people to sleep.  I do think LFF could remaster those CDs to bring up the dynamic contrasts a bit but you might hear something the original engineer was trying to hide.  Tradeoffs.  These are pretty clean w/ the exception of youtube compression, especially the Blake CD except the intentional muffling of the piano to center the vocals.  Kimbra's studio CD isn't out yet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOT2-OTebx0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaTEySLiLmc&feature=relmfu

Users who are viewing this thread

Back