Sennheiser HD800 S Impressions Thread (read first post for summary)
Sep 3, 2017 at 4:22 PM Post #2,431 of 8,822
Interesting, I heard similar things when I was testing the LCD-4. Especially the dynamics was very disappointing to me on a $4000 headphone.

Sep 3, 2017 at 10:18 PM Post #2,432 of 8,822
Alright i think i have finally decided on getting the Cayin I-HA6 and IDAC6 dac\amp for my hd800s setup. Its not too common of a setup but its definitely up there in the price department (~1200 for both).
Does anyone have experiences pairing their HD800S with the combo before?
Asking before i cave in and purchase them haha!

Never heard this dac amp but there are reviews online comparing this with Jotunheim and conclusion is that they sound very similar.

Sep 5, 2017 at 8:13 AM Post #2,433 of 8,822
20170903_180029.jpg

Sep 5, 2017 at 8:35 AM Post #2,434 of 8,822
Sep 5, 2017 at 8:55 AM Post #2,435 of 8,822
Nice, are those pure silver cables? If so, how does the silver cable alter the sound on the HD800S's?

That's GPS X8 Plussound.personally I don't think pure silver best for HD800S ,because
Gold slightly warmer than silver ,while sometimes I feel upper mid and timbre harsh (bad record) overall soundstage very space , Everything is wonderful.:wink:

Sep 5, 2017 at 9:10 AM Post #2,436 of 8,822
That's GPS X8 Plussound.personally I don't think pure silver best for HD800S ,because
Gold slightly warmer than silver ,while sometimes I feel upper mid and timbre harsh (bad record) overall soundstage very space , Everything is wonderful.:wink:
Thanks, I was thinking silver might enhance the upper frequencies, which the HD800 have plenty of already. I'm thinking about getting a good OCC copper cable myself. For the time being the stock balanced cable really sounds good.

Sep 5, 2017 at 10:37 AM Post #2,437 of 8,822
A lot depends on the synergy with your system. For my reference 10.32, my custom silver cable beats Senn's silver plated CH 800 S any day. Pure silver tends to have higher but smoother treble, and a larger soundstage. I also have a custom copper which I like for it's more natural sound. It all depends on your preference.
I never liked 800S with Jotunheim with any cable, esp with silver cable, which the treble will hurt you.

Sep 5, 2017 at 11:13 AM Post #2,438 of 8,822
A lot depends on the synergy with your system. For my reference 10.32, my custom silver cable beats Senn's silver plated CH 800 S any day. Pure silver tends to have higher but smoother treble, and a larger soundstage. I also have a custom copper which I like for it's more natural sound. It all depends on your preference.
I never liked 800S with Jotunheim with any cable, esp with silver cable, which the treble will hurt you.

DX200 very neutral tone with amp1 ,when i used IEM (ANDROMEDA ,VEGA)or HD800S Female singer with some track sibilance not all tarck .when i ask Plussound ,he said silver cable for dull headphone better .
Of course each brand has own SIG.

Sep 5, 2017 at 11:34 AM Post #2,439 of 8,822
Also, a general rule is that the thicker the conductor, the more potential it is able to deliver more bass. However, not all system is able to take advantage of this thickness, probably due to limited power or not class A power, so a thicker cable can sound just as anemic as a thinner one.
CH 800 S, although looks thick on the outside, I read it was using some very thin 36awg wire (thinner than many IEM's cable)! There was also a photo of the cross section somewhere on the internet, showing the wire is indeed very thin. This should not come as a surprise because anyone who has experience in working with the 800 connector will notice how thin the opening is, making soldering pita.

Sep 5, 2017 at 3:06 PM Post #2,440 of 8,822
Also, a general rule is that the thicker the conductor, the more potential it is able to deliver more bass. However, not all system is able to take advantage of this thickness, probably due to limited power or not class A power, so a thicker cable can sound just as anemic as a thinner one.

Please supply measurements to back this claim up. Thickness of the conductors should make no measurable difference to the bass. If they did, it should be easy to pick up in a frequency response measurement.

Sep 6, 2017 at 11:28 AM Post #2,441 of 8,822
CH 800 S, although looks thick on the outside, I read it was using some very thin 36awg wire (thinner than many IEM's cable)! There was also a photo of the cross section somewhere on the internet, showing the wire is indeed very thin. ..........
The voice coil wires are so incredibly thin and the electricity demand is relatively very small that I doubt anything thicker would increase the voltage and electrical current between the headphone-amp and the driver. This may be true when dealing the thickness and length of cable between demanding audio speakers and amplifiers but headphones…hhhhmmm???

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2017 at 1:28 PM Post #2,442 of 8,822
Well, I finally received my pair of HD800S today! The sound coming from this beast is just a beaut. Im operating it through a mere audio engine d1 dac for now and it already sounds amazing. Im still waiting for my mojos to arrive..
Getting a desktop dac/amp has been a rollercoaster ride of emotions though, its a bit tough buying second hand as somehow the deal always fails to fall through! Im back to doing research again and this time im looking at
Mjol/Yggy or Rag/Gumby combo.. I cant really get the best of both worlds but i feel like i'll be purchasing a pure tube amp when theres a second hand one in the market.
Anyone got opinions of which combo i should get? Im looking at any combinations between the Mjol/Gumby/Yggy/Ragna but just not the top tier of each dac/amp :).

Sep 8, 2017 at 3:09 AM Post #2,443 of 8,822
I'm getting great results from my yggy+Jot combo. Ignore all that talk about Jot being harsh. Listen for yourself and decide. Some actually prefer the Jot to the Rag. It's that good but do go balance. It's a league up.

Sep 8, 2017 at 11:12 AM Post #2,444 of 8,822
20170818_005423_HDR.jpg

This is my current stock hd800s cable condition, both sides!
And solution to prevent further cracking of the outer rubber layer?

Attachments

• 20170818_005410_HDR.jpg
    20170818_005410_HDR.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Sep 8, 2017 at 11:47 AM Post #2,445 of 8,822
Thanks, I was thinking silver might enhance the upper frequencies, which the HD800 have plenty of already. I'm thinking about getting a good OCC copper cable myself. For the time being the stock balanced cable really sounds good.

I think the same! Copper will makes hd800s darker that is correct ways for a bright of this can. I'm just thinking, not actually check on 800s. 800s bal. mode dont impress me as hd650 does. 650 really alive on bal. connection. Also 7N copper wire cable (300thread in a core) brings much detail to 650. For 800s how much level will obtain, looking for a cable too

Users who are viewing this thread

Back