Sennheiser HD800 S Impressions Thread (read first post for summary)
Apr 20, 2017 at 10:32 PM Post #2,191 of 8,824

What happened to you both, did you get it replaced and how much did it affect the sound (if at all)

No I just left it there, it didn't change the sound and was only a small blemish... Seeing it bothers me a lot though.

Now that I have the 800S I make sure to be extremely careful when changing cables and I also don't touch the silver fins at all due to how easy dirt and fingerprints show up.

Now when removing the cable, I use the provided microfiber cloth to guard it to prevent scratches from occurring again.

Apr 21, 2017 at 7:01 AM Post #2,193 of 8,824
Apr 21, 2017 at 7:10 AM Post #2,195 of 8,824
Why is that?

The Focal Utopia destroys it for me unfortunately, even in sound stage. I don't understand how some people are in between the two, but for me it's no contest. However for under $3000, the HD800S is still the best price/performance headphone. 

Apr 21, 2017 at 7:14 AM Post #2,196 of 8,824
The Focal Utopia destroys it for me unfortunately, even in sound stage. I don't understand how some people are in between the two, but for me it's no contest. However for under $3000, the HD800S is still the best price/performance headphone. 

For me it's the opposite.. I don't understand how people are between the two because I think the 800S is vastly superior in everyway especially soundstage.

Apr 21, 2017 at 7:24 AM Post #2,198 of 8,824
It seems to boil down to what gear you use.
I've seen your review and comments on the Focal Utopia previous to this and was flabbergasted. If anything, I wish I had liked the HD800S more to save myself a large chunk of money. What gear were you using at the time?

@peter2 - never dismiss a product fully until trying it yourself hehe. I did that prior to owning the HD800S (due to the prior HD800 having flaws), however the plunge was very worthwhile regardless of any preconceived ideas. 

Apr 21, 2017 at 7:40 AM Post #2,200 of 8,824
Haha I feel it. How can something so dark be so bright at the same time. It has an aura around it, very alluring.

I'd be happy settling with the HD800S if I had a nice tube amplifier like the DNA Stratus. 

Apr 21, 2017 at 7:48 AM Post #2,201 of 8,824
I can't see around my solid state synergy with hd800S granted no need to tempt fate and actually listen to utopia.

Apr 21, 2017 at 8:16 AM Post #2,202 of 8,824
It seems to boil down to what gear you use.
I've seen your review and comments on the Focal Utopia previous to this and was flabbergasted. If anything, I wish I had liked the HD800S more to save myself a large chunk of money. What gear were you using at the time?

@peter2
 - never dismiss a product fully until trying it yourself hehe. I did that prior to owning the HD800S (due to the prior HD800 having flaws), however the plunge was very worthwhile regardless of any preconceived ideas. 

At that time it was ampsandsound Agartha with PSAudio Direcstream DAC. I was also using the McIntosh MHA100 at the time too. After that I tried again with the new Cayin amp & DAC. None of that equipment seemed to make the Utopia sound good.. especially compared to my LCD4 and other headphones. All cabling was either pure silver or silver plated copper, even the power cables.

Apr 21, 2017 at 1:50 PM Post #2,203 of 8,824
I agree with Dillan as well.
I owned the Focal Utopia for several weeks, and compared it with my modded HD800 and a HD800 S, and sold the Utopia.
The Sennheisers are simply airier, detailed, and more open than Utopia to my ears.
Soundstage on 800's is considerably better.
Now, the Utopias do have better dynamics, more punch, and a stronger bass overall, but to my ears they are a touch too dynamic, too forward, and have a claustrophobic "in your head" sound to me, and an unnatural emphasis around 1.5 khz (sort of a "honk" coloration), and some sort of slight beryllium metallic coloration that I can hear.
They do have more precise imaging than the 800's, within the Utopias smallish soundstage, however, if that makes sense.
I drove them with an Oppo universal disc player, Marantz CD6006, Beta 22 with Sigma 22 outboard power supply, an Auralic Taurus Mk.II, and tried out a Schiit Gumby DAC, and a Furman line conditioner, with them, so I was using good equipment.
Maybe I just hear differently.
Don't get me wrong. The Utopia is a great headphone in many areas, but simply overpriced, imho.
Never the less, I really wanted to love the Utopia and sell off my other cans to justify the cost, but could not get past it's slight weaknesses that were deal breakers to me.
In the end, I kept the 800's and HE-6's, and don't regret it at all, and saved quite a bit of money.
To each his own.

Apr 21, 2017 at 3:24 PM Post #2,204 of 8,824
  @peter2 - never dismiss a product fully until trying it yourself hehe. I did that prior to owning the HD800S (due to the prior HD800 having flaws), however the plunge was very worthwhile regardless of any preconceived ideas. 

Good advice, although opinions seem to vary as much as the number of ears. I got the 800S and ended up selling them and later getting the 800, which I definitely prefer (and they're cheaper). The same happens with the Utopia for some users, cheaper can sound nicer. :)

Apr 21, 2017 at 4:03 PM Post #2,205 of 8,824

Good advice, although opinions seem to vary as much as the number of ears. I got the 800S and ended up selling them and later getting the 800, which I definitely prefer (and they're cheaper). The same happens with the Utopia for some users, cheaper can sound nicer. :)

I owned HD800 and now own hd800s and think the latter is a step up. But I also own Focal Elear, which many seems to think is some sort of an upgrade to Sennheiser HD650. I ownd the HD650 when they first came on the market, I think it was in the early 2000. I sold them after a few years. But a couple of weeks ago I bought them again, and I must say I am baffeled: they still sounds spectacular. Focal Elear vs Sennheiser HD650 - I am not sure in to regard the overall musicality. With the HD600, HD650 and HD800(S) I think Sennheiser hit some sweet spots it is hard to beat. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back