Sennheiser HD800 S Impressions Thread (read first post for summary)
Apr 6, 2017 at 3:42 AM Post #2,117 of 8,828
Going to receive my hd800s soon <3 <3 <3..placed the order only yesterday.. excited yet the curiosity is killing me! Sad that i'll never know whether my mojo is efficient enough.

Apr 6, 2017 at 10:25 AM Post #2,119 of 8,828
Finally I got the opportunity of listening to the Focal Utopias (and Elears briefly) today. I found the bass to be very well extended and organic but with none of the bloat which that can often result in. The mids were as neutral as I have heard on any headphone and the treble was smooth but a little too smooth. The stereo imaging was great for width but not as airy or so great at depth. So overall a very fine headphone indeed although not as earth shattering or reference defining as I was anticipating from the many reviews I had seen.

I compared them to a set of HD800S via the same headphone amp across a number of tracks and across a number of music styles. The HD800S is lighter in the bass, equal in neutrality through the mids but with greater clarity in the treble. The stereo width was very similar but the depth was greater and an overall airier feel to the music.

I didn't have the ability to match the volume on the headphones with absolute accuracy as they are quite different in efficiency so i cannot be certain if there was much difference in dynamics between them.

Overall I was surprised that I did not find an definitive winner as I had preferences for each headphone in different areas. I guess then the HD800S would win on a technicality due to the difference in price.

Anyway this is just my view and clearly there are loads of folks who hear it differently to me.

Oh and the Elears were good but not in the same league as the Utopia or HD800S. They had a rather over warm bass and rolled off top end. The mids were great but the imaging was less good in terms of width and depth. Again this is my impression only.  

Apr 6, 2017 at 10:44 AM Post #2,120 of 8,828
Finally I got the opportunity of listening to the Focal Utopias (and Elears briefly) today. I found the bass to be very well extended and organic but with none of the bloat which that can often result in. The mids were as neutral as I have heard on any headphone and the treble was smooth but a little too smooth. The stereo imaging was great for width but not as airy or so great at depth. So overall a very fine headphone indeed although not as earth shattering or reference defining as I was anticipating from the many reviews I had seen.

I compared them to a set of HD800S via the same headphone amp across a number of tracks and across a number of music styles. The HD800S is lighter in the bass, equal in neutrality through the mids but with greater clarity in the treble. The stereo width was very similar but the depth was greater and an overall airier feel to the music.

I didn't have the ability to match the volume on the headphones with absolute accuracy as they are quite different in efficiency so i cannot be certain if there was much difference in dynamics between them.

Overall I was surprised that I did not find an definitive winner as I had preferences for each headphone in different areas. I guess then the HD800S would win on a technicality due to the difference in price.

Anyway this is just my view and clearly there are loads of folks who hear it differently to me.

Oh and the Elears were good but not in the same league as the Utopia or HD800S. They had a rather over warm bass and rolled off top end. The mids were great but the imaging was less good in terms of width and depth. Again this is my impression only.  

Cool a tie in this is as good as a win, considering more than twice the price

Apr 6, 2017 at 11:49 AM Post #2,121 of 8,828
It's not a tie really. The Focal Utopia is the better headphone (atleast on the Chord Dave).

The limitations of the HD 800 / HD 800 S becomes especially appartent on classical music as it's like comparing full HD vs 4K resolution.

Apr 6, 2017 at 2:56 PM Post #2,123 of 8,828
In your opinion, just as that is not the case in my opinion........... 

Well, I own both headphones for many months on a highly resolving setup rather just hearing it just 1 day.

But if that is what you hear, then that is fine. I am just very surprised that you hear that the HD 800 S is a tie to the Utopia.

Apr 6, 2017 at 9:19 PM Post #2,124 of 8,828
Well, I own both headphones for many months on a highly resolving setup rather just hearing it just 1 day.

But if that is what you hear, then that is fine. I am just very surprised that you hear that the HD 800 S is a tie to the Utopia.

I own both and hear it just like you FWIW. 
smile.gif

Apr 6, 2017 at 9:24 PM Post #2,125 of 8,828
Going to receive my hd800s soon <3 <3 <3..placed the order only yesterday.. excited yet the curiosity is killing me! Sad that i'll never know whether my mojo is efficient enough.

Mojo has the power to drive them nicely, but lacks the authority, speed and soundstage size of a desktop setup. My 2 cents.

Finally I got the opportunity of listening to the Focal Utopias (and Elears briefly) today.

I agree with you. I would say they're different flavours of a TOTL sound. The Utopia has awe-inspiring detail, transient speed and dynamics, these are their strengths. They bring the music close to you and you feel you're onstage with them. HD800S has this amazing spaciousness that I can't find in other headphones, while maintaining a musical and neutralish signature. It's my reference for sure. What I can't get over (and no amount of convincing can tip me over otherwise) is the small stage size of the Utopia. It's a preference thing. The tonality and speed might be superior but I remain a stage-head when it comes to open backs.

Apr 6, 2017 at 10:10 PM Post #2,126 of 8,828
Sorry, but I have to agree with Dadracer, and Dillan as well.
Compared my sdr modded HD800 to the Utopia for many weeks with lots of different gear...my own and other more expensive gear.
Sold the Utopia.
While it is a great top of the line headphone, and while I truly wanted to justify keeping them, I just could not get past the forward, smallish soundstage, and, very audible to my ears, peak at 1.5 khz, and measured dip at around 8khz.
Sounded too claustrophobic to my ears.
Costs way too much for what it gives, imho.
While the sdr modded 800 does have the bass, dynamics, speed, or ultimate resolution that the Utopia does, and has the 6khz peak, it is still my go to can for its detail and wide, spacious soundstaging properties, and lightweight comfort.
Plus the HD800 is a bargain compared to the Utopia, imho.
Different strokes for different folks!
Go ahead and flame me.
I'm just telling you what my own ears told me, and in the end, thats all that matters :wink:

Apr 6, 2017 at 10:22 PM Post #2,127 of 8,828
Sorry, but I have to agree with Dadracer, and Dillon as well.
Compared my sdr modded HD800 to the Utopia for many weeks with lots of different gear...my own and other more expensive gear.
Sold the Utopia.
While it is a great top of the line headphone, and while I truly wanted to justify keeping them, I just could not get past the forward, smallish soundstage, and, very audible to my ears, peak at 1.5 khz, and measured dip at around 8khz.
Sounded too claustrophobic to my ears.
Costs way too much for what it gives, imho.
While the sdr modded 800 does have the bass, dynamics, speed, or ultimate resolution that the Utopia does, and has the 6khz peak, it is still my go to can for its detail and wide, spacious soundstaging properties, and lightweight comfort.
Plus the HD800 is a bargain compared to the Utopia, imho.
Different strokes for different folks!
Go ahead and flame me.
I'm just telling you what my own ears told me, and in the end, thats all that matters :wink:

Cool experience, mine was similar. The difference in sound stage is very apparent and hard to get past. That's one of the reasons my preference is to the 800S (or modded 800).

Apr 6, 2017 at 10:25 PM Post #2,128 of 8,828
Cool experience, mine was similar. The difference in sound stage is very apparent and hard to get past. That's one of the reasons my preference is to the 800S (or modded 800).

In the end, while I still very much enjoy my HD800S, the soundstage is just plain artificial. I have some very intimate jazz recordings and I've heard them on many different headphone/speaker setups, and the HD800/HD800S just get it wrong every time. Plus with the Utopia, get your source right and the sound stage is very natural (at least with my experiences)...and when it comes to transparency, resolution and dynamics, the Utopias come out every time for me. And this is from a HD800/HD800S owner since the HD800 was released many years ago and still enjoys them today. 

Apr 6, 2017 at 10:44 PM Post #2,129 of 8,828
In the end, while I still very much enjoy my HD800S, the soundstage is just plain artificial. I have some very intimate jazz recordings and I've heard them on many different headphone/speaker setups, and the HD800/HD800S just get it wrong every time. Plus with the Utopia, get your source right and the sound stage is very natural (at least with my experiences)...and when it comes to transparency, resolution and dynamics, the Utopias come out every time for me. And this is from a HD800/HD800S owner since the HD800 was released many years ago and still enjoys them today. 

I see a lot of Utopia owners preferring that headphone in many ways even with the smaller stage but I just couldn't even when I tried over the course of many hours. I guess I'm lucky I thought the 800S was technically better as it cost less. For technicality, soundstage and transparency I reach for 800S. For bass, emotion and musicality I go for lcd4. Utopia couldn't dethrone either for me personally.. like not even close at all.

Apr 6, 2017 at 10:48 PM Post #2,130 of 8,828
I see a lot of Utopia owners preferring that headphone in many ways even with the smaller stage but I just couldn't even when I tried over the course of many hours. I guess I'm lucky I thought the 800S was technically better as it cost less. For technicality, soundstage and transparency I reach for 800S. For bass, emotion and musicality I go for lcd4. Utopia couldn't dethrone either for me personally.. like not even close at all.

I would definitely put the LCD-4s and Utopia in my top tier category (along with the SR-009, HE1000V2 and SR-007) and the HD800/HD800S in the grouping just below them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back