Sennheiser HD800 S Impressions Thread (read first post for summary)
Jun 19, 2016 at 1:30 PM Post #1,126 of 8,818
  Thanks for the impressions @sheldaze

I think the HD800 and HD800S are both very amp dependent in order to sound their best.  'Best' is really a preference thing as well.  
When I owned the HD800S for a brief period of time, I only had tube amps (Stratus, ZD, and Glenn OTL).  Without a doubt, I preferred the HD800 on any of the amps.

You're the second person (the other being @DavidA) to mention that you enjoy the HD800S on a SS amp.  
Not that I find the HD800 lacking, but it really makes me want to try the HD800S again, now that I have the LAu.

Man I'd love to hear the HD800S on the LAu. You oughta give it a try sometime. Cavalli amplifiers are special and the LAu is said to be their best one.

Jun 20, 2016 at 4:22 AM Post #1,127 of 8,818
HD800S+chord mojo+moon audio black dragon premium=execelent sound for me.

With stock cable still there were little harsh in HD800S. By adding pure copper cable will resolve this issue..

Hope this will help to you...

Jun 20, 2016 at 4:48 AM Post #1,128 of 8,818
There is nothing wrong with 22 awg pure occ type 4 silver litz and hd800S. There is nothing wrong with stock cables but a good cable will bring a larger sound scape just a little closer.

Jun 20, 2016 at 1:53 PM Post #1,129 of 8,818
Hello, I was looking for some advice. I currently have a set of Hifiman HE400i and Beyerdynamic DT1770 (running off a Schit Multifrost and Lyr 2) and I was wondering how the Sennheiser HD800S compares in sound signature? I definitely don't want any less bass than the HE400i but less grain and better sound stage is what I am looking for. It seems to meant the latter criteria but not the forma. Any advice you can give will be greatly appreciated. Thanks. 

Jun 21, 2016 at 8:14 PM Post #1,130 of 8,818
  Hello, I was looking for some advice. I currently have a set of Hifiman HE400i and Beyerdynamic DT1770 (running off a Schit Multifrost and Lyr 2) and I was wondering how the Sennheiser HD800S compares in sound signature? I definitely don't want any less bass than the HE400i but less grain and better sound stage is what I am looking for. It seems to meant the latter criteria but not the forma. Any advice you can give will be greatly appreciated. Thanks. 

You will love HD800S for the bass as well as for all your other requirements that's coming from a "converter" from LCD-3 to HD800S :p
Not sure what to do with my LCD-3 they don't get any head time for several reasons, HD800S being better is one.

Jun 21, 2016 at 11:47 PM Post #1,131 of 8,818

I just upgraded from a 400i. As xvampirex says, the bass is much tighter than the 400i and has more "slam" but I would say that it is slightly less in quantity, especially the very low bass and the mid-bass transition area. But the texture is so much better and more natural that I think most people might think the 800S has more bass at first listen. Also the superior instrument separation just makes the bass stand out more from the rest of the mix.

Jun 22, 2016 at 7:24 PM Post #1,132 of 8,818
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWoDrb8VrFI

Check it out, of course better get the CD version - very 3 Dimensional with HD800S and has plenty of bass presence.

A demonstration of Chord DAVE on YouTube brought me to this track.

Jun 22, 2016 at 9:00 PM Post #1,133 of 8,818
Has anyone had a chance to compare the HD 800 S vs the Tesla T1 (2nd gen), I am just curious.

Jun 23, 2016 at 12:21 PM Post #1,135 of 8,818
Just did receive my HD800S. The bass is a lot more than the shure's SRH1840. i have them to short to do a full review yet. 

Jun 23, 2016 at 7:28 PM Post #1,136 of 8,818
I am completing my week with the loaner HD800S. I have been testing it from the Ayre Codex and comparing against my LCD-3F (newest drivers.) To put it short, I think I will probably pull the trigger on the HD800S in the coming weeks. It is simply a better technical headphone than the LCD-3. Switching from one to the other is like lifting a veil off of the recording. The LCD-3 still has a nice smooth sound to it, but ultimately I feel like the HD800S is far closer to the truth than the Audeze. I have heard the HD800 several times and liked it, but the peaky treble was bothersome everytime I heard it, so I never investigated further. The S has resolved this. 

One thing I cannot overstate is just how light and comfy the HD800S is after the LCD-3. It almost feels like it isn't on all the way because the pressure is so much less.

Jun 23, 2016 at 9:17 PM Post #1,137 of 8,818
I listened to these tonight for the first time at a dealer on a woo audio WA6. How does this amp handle these headphones? I thought they lacked dynamics across whole audio band and was most nociable in the bass.

A/B the grado PS1000e with it.

Jun 23, 2016 at 9:19 PM Post #1,138 of 8,818
  I am completing my week with the loaner HD800S. I have been testing it from the Ayre Codex and comparing against my LCD-3F (newest drivers.) To put it short, I think I will probably pull the trigger on the HD800S in the coming weeks. It is simply a better technical headphone than the LCD-3. Switching from one to the other is like lifting a veil off of the recording. The LCD-3 still has a nice smooth sound to it, but ultimately I feel like the HD800S is far closer to the truth than the Audeze. I have heard the HD800 several times and liked it, but the peaky treble was bothersome everytime I heard it, so I never investigated further. The S has resolved this. 

One thing I cannot overstate is just how light and comfy the HD800S is after the LCD-3. It almost feels like it isn't on all the way because the pressure is so much less.

I too like that combination.

I could listen to the HD800S in balanced mode straight from the Ayre Codex for many, many hours. The music was so detailed, so flush with information, but not a harsh word was spoken - the church bells were all broken. I cannot say the same for most solid-state, particularly DACs which include a headphone connection.

Jun 23, 2016 at 9:22 PM Post #1,139 of 8,818
I listened to these tonight for the first time at a dealer on a woo audio WA6. How does this amp handle these headphones? I thought they lacked dynamics across whole audio band and was most nociable in the bass.

A/B the grado PS1000e with it.

PS1000e, by comparison, is more meaty. I do find myself having difficulty to return to the Senns after a great session with the Grado.

Jun 23, 2016 at 9:33 PM Post #1,140 of 8,818
PS1000e, by comparison, is more meaty. I do find myself having difficulty to return to the Senns after a great session with the Grado.

I felt that way before I added the grados to the mix.

I like the tone of the ps1000e better but they are just too bright for me. The hd800s would be ok and I might get them but I want more bass impact. Would a hefty solid state amp help?

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back