Sennheiser HD800 S Impressions Thread (read first post for summary)
Mar 12, 2016 at 6:45 AM Post #646 of 8,823
Wow, been away from the internet for nearly 2 weeks, lots seems to have happened. The best thing is that @Sorrodje has been recognized for the hero we already knew him to be. 
beerchug.gif
 I also see that his review of the S, which I did my best to **** up by editing, is now the 8th most liked post of all time on head-fi. Hey what's with you guys? Is my review chopped liver!?!? 
biggrin.gif
 LOL.

Tyll's review seems to confirm what most of us have been saying for awhile. The stuff about Senn using a little bass distortion to warm up the sound is interesting. I think Sorrodje found something similar. I honestly don't hear the distortion unless I try EQ-ing up the bass, so I guess I am wee bit deaf in that regard?

But it does get me thinking about the slight difference in imaging/instrument separation (same thing) that I mentioned in my review and Sorrodje and some others also picked up on (but not @MacedonianHero,who emphatically does not hear it 
tongue.gif
). Initially I thought that this very slight difference between S and Classic was due to the extra treble energy of the classic lending a "sharpen filter" to the sound. But now, listening to complex symphonic music or even dense prog rock, I think the difference is explained at least as much due to the slight bass distortion of the S. hmmmm. Anyway, it's a pretty small diff between the two and not always readily apparent, at least to my decrepit ears.

I don't know if anybody ever looks at the first page of this thread where I try to keep track of all the important impressions/reviews but now it is waaay behind. I will try to fix it, but I might have missed something important in this or one of the other threads or things happening on the net. So if you think I missed something feel free to PM.

Anyway, after two weeks away from my rig, it is so great to kick back to the tunes again. I listened recently to some high end stax rigs to see what I might be missing. As much as I really like what I have heard, I think the S is end gaming it for me.... for now 
wink_face.gif

OT- Check out the new Lucinda Williams with Bill Frisell on most tracks, OMG. It kicks butt and a few other things. And sounds perfect on the S.

So who wants a well-loved, used HD800? When I get over my totally lazy butted self, it's gonna go.

Mar 12, 2016 at 7:07 AM Post #647 of 8,823
Bill frisell, I picked that up, I like his take on you only live twice. Welcome back.

Mar 12, 2016 at 1:11 PM Post #649 of 8,823
You're welcome !

Mar 12, 2016 at 2:38 PM Post #650 of 8,823
Bill frisell, I picked that up, I like his take on you only live twice. Welcome back.

Thanks!

To Shabta and Sorredje: you're both responsible for me parting with $$$ in order to buy the S. It's one of the best hifi purchases I've made. Cheers!!

You can thank me by coming back to France and playing a drum solo! 

It's one of the best hifi purchases I've made too.

Mar 12, 2016 at 7:27 PM Post #651 of 8,823
I took the plunge and ordered them this week. The "S" is now in the house. Initial listen when I got it our of the box: Wow, what a wide sound stage stage. Having never herd the 800 previously, I took the dive based on many who have posted here. Going to let them run over night to loosen up. Unless I get some unexpected cash to get a Stax rig, I think I'm pretty much done for awhile. 

Mar 12, 2016 at 7:55 PM Post #652 of 8,823
  I took the plunge and ordered them this week. The "S" is now in the house. Initial listen when I got it our of the box: Wow, what a wide sound stage stage. Having never herd the 800 previously, I took the dive based on many who have posted here. Going to let them run over night to loosen up. Unless I get some unexpected cash to get a Stax rig, I think I'm pretty much done for awhile. 

I just got mine also and have been enjoying listening to them and how they progress through the loosening up process. these will probably be my last dynamic headphones for a while. I don't believe that any other dynamic set could eclipse these . I could be wrong and change my mind in the future, but for now its time to budget for planars. I don't have an electrostatic amp (so no Stax in my immediate future) and my pockets got mighty shallow after purchasing the 800S.

enjoy them cause I sure am

Mar 12, 2016 at 8:23 PM Post #653 of 8,823
(1) Is there any audio benefit in keeping the HD650 if you have the new HD800S?

(2) Is there any audio benefit in keeping the HD600 if you have the new HD800S?

Your question has made me ponder for 2 days - that, and I do not listen much during the work week.
You'd have to pry my HD650 headphones out of my dead, cold hands...

It is simply this - there are so many more things (amps, dacs, etc.) on which I can enjoy my HD650 headphones. Yes, the HD800S is an improvement over the HD800. Yes, the end game experience is incredible. It is quite worth the pursuit. But there are simply more opportunities to listen to setups, with plenty of joy, on my HD650 headphones. And it was the HD650 headphone which first got me into the headphone hobby circa 2003. And it was listening to the HD650 on some simple USB DAC/AMPs that got me back in 2014.

I cannot say that of the HD800/HD800S/HE1000. The benefit, for me, is there is more auditory joy to be experienced, tried, and learned from via the HD650.

Mar 12, 2016 at 9:38 PM Post #654 of 8,823
Happy happy joy joy

Mar 12, 2016 at 10:01 PM Post #655 of 8,823

I just got mine also and have been enjoying listening to them and how they progress through the loosening up process. these will probably be my last dynamic headphones for a while. I don't believe that any other dynamic set could eclipse these . I could be wrong and change my mind in the future, but for now its time to budget for planars. I don't have an electrostatic amp (so no Stax in my immediate future) and my pockets got mighty shallow after purchasing the 800S.

enjoy them cause I sure am

Good to hear.

What kinda pushed me to click the "buy" button was I had recently gotten an Ether C as I needed to upgrade my closed headphones when I got the new DAC/Amp rig. At the time, I was content with my open HD-650's. They sounded really good with the new rig. The trouble was when I would go from my "C's" to my old standbys they couldn't keep up. As much as I really didn't want to spend the coin, I started searching for a new open can to replace them. When the new "S" got released, I knew it was inevitable.

Mar 13, 2016 at 4:31 PM Post #656 of 8,823
I'm 4 hours into a listening session with the HD800S and they just get better !!!! I have zero fatigue , the music is flowing and I can't fault them , unbelievable headphones.
The tonal balance to these 34 year old ears is second to none . The HD600s have been dethroned from my collection as my reference . Throw in the extra instrument separation , clarity and bass extension and you have a true successor to the HD600 in my opinion. Don't get me wrong , the HD600 are outstanding headphones and hold their own against headphones that cost 10X the price but HD800S is just better in every way. The same couldn't be said for the original HD800.
I'm not sure headphones can get much better really, if the HD600s represent the point of diminished returns
Then the 800S is way past that . I'm sure that the only thing that would sound slightly better is the Orpheus 2 but Due to a serious curve in diminished returns I bet it's only a small difference .
Anyway, back to enjoying these amazing headphones, music has never sounded better to me and I am one happy boy right Now .

Mar 14, 2016 at 12:14 AM Post #657 of 8,823
I'm enjoying the HD800 S immensely!

Looking at the list of all the cans I've owned over the years (below and in my profile),  the HD800 S simply are the best I've ever heard, and at an attractive price point considering the competition. I run them balanced, and tubed on the Mjolnir 2. 

(I was sorta appalled at the $4,000. price point of the Audeze LCD-4 quite frankly.)

"Audeze LCD-3
Denon AHGC20
AKG Q701
Audeze LCD-2
Cardas Ear Speakers
Fostex TH900
Sony MDR-1r
Sennheiser HD600
Sennheiser HD800
Sennheiser HD598
Denon D7000
Denon D5000
Klipsch X10 Earbuds
Sony MDR-7506
Grado SR60"

Mar 15, 2016 at 12:17 AM Post #659 of 8,823

What did the Ragnarok do what the Super 7 didn't with the HD800?
I always hear the bass slam on the S7 is epic with the HD800.

Truthfully, they're not that different. The S7 is not an overly "tube-like" amp, and the Ragnarok is not overly sterile for a SS amp. The Ragnarok is a little clearer with less graininess, but it's not a massive step up. I'd be perfectly happy with either one.

I've always liked the S7 with my original HD800, but it doesn't give them the bass slam I find in the new HD800S.

Mar 15, 2016 at 1:45 PM Post #660 of 8,823
I'm loving my 800S, they could be the best dynamic dynamic cans I've ever heard. Paired with my Balancing Act, they're a match made in audio Nirvana.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back