Sennheiser HD800 S Impressions Thread (read first post for summary)
Mar 7, 2016 at 6:12 PM Post #527 of 8,828
Lets not to say it to Abyss, 009, 007, LCD4 and some other exotic owners, plus LCD2/3/X, HEK, HEX owners :wink:
And the list is subjec to change with coming new electrostats from Sennheiser and others

Mar 7, 2016 at 6:13 PM Post #528 of 8,828
I seem to have been misunderstood. I'm not saying the HD 800 be more accurate than the HD 800 S. My point is that the damping mod makes the sound more accurate compared to the stock HD 800 (and the «S») due to the elimination of part of the reflections. Now the HD 800 S obviously is «more precise» in specifically reducing the 6-kHz peak than the damping mod alone (instead of a broader treble range).

As said earlier I would do the damping mod also with the HD 800 S for above reasons, though. From Tyll's measuring results I am now sure that I won't get an HD 800 S (if I wasn't already). Equalizing the treble peak on my pair of HD 800 per equalizer (which I use anyway) is the logical choice. And being free to lift the low bass to audiophile levels without having to accept irritating harmonic distortion is a decisive advantage.

BTW, I can't reproduce the characterization of the HD 800's bass as «one-note bass». To my ears it is far from being that.

Mar 7, 2016 at 6:18 PM Post #529 of 8,828

The HD 800 isn't accurate, there is something unnatural going on in the treble. Also the one-note bass of the HD 800 isn't accurate either. 

People who wanted a neutral HD 800, is what the HD 800 S is an answer for. 

Best is to get a planar headphone in my opinion as an alternative headphone for your HD 800 since they got excellent bass rather than waiting for the HD1000 (or whatever Sennheiser next headphone is). Seems to complement nicely with the strengths of the HD 800. 

I haven't heard the HD800S but I do have the HD800 and would not characterize the HD800 as having "one-note bass."  I would say the bass goes deep and is very detailed.  It's not a bass-heavy headphone but I can hear distinct bass notes as well as the texturing of those notes during my listening sessions. 

Mar 7, 2016 at 6:24 PM Post #530 of 8,828
  I seem to have been misunderstood. I'm not saying the HD 800 be more accurate than the HD 800 S. My point is that the damping mod makes the sound more accurate compared to the stock HD 800 (and the «S») due to the elimination of part of the reflections. Now the HD 800 S obviously is «more precise» in specifically reducing the 6-kHz peak than the damping mod alone (instead of a broader treble range).

As said earlier I would do the damping mod also with the HD 800 S for above reasons, though. From Tyll's measuring results I am now sure that I won't get an HD 800 S (if I wasn't already). Equalizing the treble peak on my pair of HD 800 per equalizer (which I use anyway) is the logical choice. And being free to lift the low bass to audiophile levels without having to accept irritating harmonic distortion is a decisive advantage.

BTW, I can't reproduce the characterization of the HD 800's bass as «one-note bass». To my ears it is far from being that.

Best to describe it is lack of sub bass. The HD 800 S fills in more sub bass which the HD 800 misses (mimicked by adding 2nd harmonic distortion apparently). 

Mar 7, 2016 at 6:26 PM Post #531 of 8,828
  I haven't heard the HD800S but I do have the HD800 and would not characterize the HD800 as having "one-note bass."  I would say the bass goes deep and is very detailed.  It's not a bass-heavy headphone but I can hear distinct bass notes as well as the texturing of those notes during my listening sessions. 

I was listening a few hours ago to some EDM with both the HD 800 and HD 800 S in single ended mode and that was what I heard with my ears. I wouldn't buy the HD 800 S if you're looking for a better bass though since there are other headphones that do this better (such as planars).

Mar 7, 2016 at 6:39 PM Post #533 of 8,828
  From 2008 to late 2015 nobody could hear that HD800 doesn't have any sub bass, and now everybody can...

Even the HD 800 S lacks sub bass next to a HEX for example. That's quite easy to hear. 

Mar 7, 2016 at 6:43 PM Post #535 of 8,828
I don't hear either the HD800 or 800S lacking in bass but certainly they don't exhibit a bass emphasis as found in many planar design headphones. In this sense the 800s are more accurate and neutral. Likewise they have a more extended treble and fantastic imaging which are more important issues for me personally and why I wouldn't choose a planar.

Mar 7, 2016 at 6:43 PM Post #536 of 8,828

nice that HEX is repairing my hearing

Give it a try if you haven't already. It was definitely one of the biggest surprises of the headphones that I tried. The HE-1000 also has better sub bass than the HD 800 S according to my ears.

Mar 7, 2016 at 6:53 PM Post #537 of 8,828
I don't hear either the HD800 or 800S lacking in bass but certainly they don't exhibit a bass emphasis as found in many planar design headphones. In this sense the 800s are more accurate and neutral. Likewise they have a more extended treble and fantastic imaging which are more important issues for me personally and why I wouldn't choose a planar.

I still liked the HD 800 S the best overall, especially considering the price. Hence why I still have no planar headphone.

Mar 7, 2016 at 6:58 PM Post #538 of 8,828
  I just read what he wrote carefully. He prefers the HD800 S to the stock HD800 but even more prefers the resonator-modded (not the Anax modded) HD800 to the HD800 S. If you don't want to bother with modding, go with the HD800S, "in a nutshell." I think you must have a fantastic amp, by the way, for the HD800, assuming you still own the EC Super 7. 

I do still have the EC Super 7, but I have not tried it yet w/the 800S. It's been all Ragnarok, all the time so far. It is a great amp for the original HD800, but it never made the Senns seem "un-clinical" enough to enjoy as my only headphones. I've always needed prolonged breaks from them.

As someone who avoids EQ and does not mod, I found myself in particular agreement with the portion of Tyll's review quoted here in post #513. Modification, EQ and changes to downstream equipment may be fine for the .01% who really benefit from a completely optimized system, but they should not be near-requirements for anyone that purchases an HD800. The HD800S resolves this issue -- to my satisfaction, at least.

Mar 7, 2016 at 7:00 PM Post #539 of 8,828
Joke aside, I have read also in Head-fi about weakness of HD800 bass... starting from almost anecdotal claims, that even AKG K701/702 have more bass and some other funny claims. With HD800 I tested down to 10Hz without clipping, that was lowest test-tone on my test-cd... sure HD800 bass is starting to go quieter below 40 hz, but is still 'musically usable' at 30Hz

Mar 7, 2016 at 7:23 PM Post #540 of 8,828
  Best to describe it is lack of sub bass.

Yeah, that's indeed a better description. On the other hand, sub-bass is there and of excellent quality, just needs some increase. You'd be surprised!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back