Sennheiser HD700 Review
Aug 10, 2016 at 1:47 PM Post #226 of 233
These sound great!  I don't know why people don't recommend these more.  Bass is on par with the 650's, but way better quality.  650's sound muddy in comparison.  I think the 700's have more sub bass.  Mids are comparable, more realistic on the 700's and more detailed.  Although, 650 sounds better on some recordings, hides flaws a bit.  Treble is more natural on 700's.  Haven't had any tracks that were too hot... but could see how it could happen for some.  Overall, the 700's are much more detailed, with a similar sound to the 650's but with better / more natural treble and bass.  And now that they can be had for <$400, these are a steal.  

Aug 10, 2016 at 1:50 PM Post #227 of 233
Wrong thread lol.

Sep 11, 2020 at 1:18 AM Post #229 of 233
These sound great! I don't know why people don't recommend these more. Bass is on par with the 650's, but way better quality. 650's sound muddy in comparison. I think the 700's have more sub bass. Mids are comparable, more realistic on the 700's and more detailed. Although, 650 sounds better on some recordings, hides flaws a bit. Treble is more natural on 700's. Haven't had any tracks that were too hot... but could see how it could happen for some. Overall, the 700's are much more detailed, with a similar sound to the 650's but with better / more natural treble and bass. And now that they can be had for <$400, these are a steal.
Hd700 has a good paring with schiit valhalla 2, i didnt like it stock but with eq they are absolutely amazing, going back to 650 they sounded very muddy. 700 feels so wide and airy.

How would you compare the 700 to the 660s? Reviews I've read of the 660(the positive ones) say there is a noticeable, but relatively insignificant difference in audio quality(not tonal signature) in relation to the 650 and to my knowledge the 700 and 660 share the same driver.

Sep 12, 2020 at 2:13 AM Post #230 of 233
How would you compare the 700 to the 660s? Reviews I've read of the 660(the positive ones) say there is a noticeable, but relatively insignificant difference in audio quality(not tonal signature) in relation to the 650 and to my knowledge the 700 and 660 share the same driver.
They are completely different, the hd660 sounds like the hd650 and the hd700 is something entirely different

The enclosure and positioning of the HD700 driver is part of what makes it sound so different.

On gear that handles treble carefully (Liquid Platinum for instance), the HD700 I find to be a much more engaging and spacious presentation than HD6xx; the sound just floats around you and the headphones are so light with clamp force so low sometimes you forget you are wearing headphones. But HD700 is not for everyone as sometimes the tuning can cause occasional sensitivities with treble sensitive folks on certain content. And if you have Topping, SMSL, THX, etc, and dont want to buy new gear forget about the HD700, will be too harsh.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2020 at 7:14 PM Post #231 of 233
Very interesting Thread.
16 pages of unabashed hatred aimed at the HD700s, for the most part.
Now i can't wait to hear them, as they were always one of those on my "to get" list, that i just never got around to buying.....till now.
Hopefully, i'll be one of the reviewers, who, along with most of the Youtube reviewers, thinks the gear is really great.
Got to hear them tho, as that is the only way to know..

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2020 at 4:47 PM Post #232 of 233
My initial Impressions of the HD700, are positive.

Quite possibly all the hate that is cast towards this unique gear is a case of supply that didnt exceed expectations, or even fall into alignment with what was expected.
This is not a bad sounding set of headphones.

I was going to review it, but, as someone said....."its the HD650 meets the HD800"..... i think that this is pretty much a very good generalization.

And This is a bit of a conflict. As on one hand you have the HD 650s lower mids and midrange that makes up the body of the HD700s sound.
So, that is a bit of a step away from the HD600's sound which has much less low mid bumb and offers a more forward midrange presence.
So, that is the HD700's sound. And where it becomes unique, or somewhat interesting is that the 6kHz bump that exists, does not make it more resolving or detailed, it just adds to the extra air on top and also exhibits a bit of glare.

You listen to this gear and you notice smooth mids, good bass, nice soundstage, but you dont get anything in the way of a super analytical sound unless you crank up the volume.
So, similar to the Arya, you can't really enjoy these at what i would describe as a low volume.

Sure, it quite detailed, but its not over-cooked analytical, and its certainly not a clinical sound.
Is possible that this headphone is that bridge between warm and resolving, warm and detailed, as there is a lot of warmth.
So, if you are the one who needs warmth the most, but you have not found quite enough detail retrieval in all your warm headphones, then this one might be your sonic recipe.
This is probably what most buyer were not expecting, as they felt that this gear's sound would produce a set of detail seeking microscopes on your ears, that just lived to pull all the details out and expose them.....and in fact, that is not this headphone.
This headphone is the one that was the real "what comes next after the HD650"......Its that sound, but tweeked.

Senn took the HD650, kept the basic sound/ tone, added some 6Khz, and a bit more "airy" Treble above that, and widened the soundstage.
I bet they thought they had created the perfect sonic concoction.. the final answer to the "warm + detail"....puzzle.
Thing is tho, there is also a sprinkle of of dryness involved in the presentation.

Im hearing the HD700 as a tweeked HD650, and some dont like the tweeking, but, its certainly not a bad listen, and its nothing like what i expected to hear.
I expected to hear 2 microscopes on my ears, with a horrible 6hHz blast.
And its not that at all......Its the HD650's body of warmth, slightly dry, tweeked in the Treble, and given beautifully designed Cups, and a wider soundstage.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back